Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 10:16   #766
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
Got my wiper motor replaced yesterday, but the wiper is working only when wash/wipe is used. the wiper doesn't come on when turned on using the combination stalk (with indicator and headlight high/low beam) on the steering wheel.

The service advisor is saying i should replace the whole combination stalk, but since everything else is working, i.e. high/low beam flasher, indicators and wash /wipe, i am thinking there is a fault with the N10 relay (from what i read on the mb forums). any ideas about what i should do ?

can i get a new N10 relay or repair it ? i am thinking it would be a cheaper option than replacing the combination stalk.
Abhiram, see if this wiring diagram helps to diagnose the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_138-jul.-15-00.37.jpg  

Old 15th July 2014, 14:46   #767
BHPian

Try cleaning and re seating the relay. Also...from what I can infer from the diagram above. .the wiper motor ought to have 3 connections for low (+wiper fluid) mid and high along with ground. Try reseating the motor connections..and see if your are getting voltage there when u operate the stalk. Also from what I see in the diagram the N10 relay is only for combining motor pump and wiper ops.

Also speeds 2 and 3 do not seem to need the N10 relay. Is there any movement in these modes? Suggest you start tracing for voltage between fuse and stalk then stalk and motor. .

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 15th July 2014 at 15:02.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:34   #768
BHPian

Since most of our cars face Throttle body issue one time or the other, attached are the best resources I have come across, unfortunately don't remember the link :(

Also attached is the complete wiring for most of our cars
http://www.w124performance.com/servi...am/ETM/ETM.pdf

This site is the best I have come across, tons of info
Old 15th July 2014, 15:44   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Abhiram, see if this wiring diagram helps to diagnose the problem
Ray thanks for the wiring diagram, but i am a completely ignorant when it comes to electrical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Try cleaning and re seating the relay. Also...from what I can infer from the diagram above. .the wiper motor ought to have 3 connections for low (+wiper fluid) mid and high along with ground. Try reseating the motor connections..and see if your are getting voltage there when u operate the stalk. Also from what I see in the diagram the N10 relay is only for combining motor pump and wiper ops.

Also speeds 2 and 3 do not seem to need the N10 relay. Is there any movement in these modes? Suggest you start tracing for voltage between fuse and stalk then stalk and motor. .
yeah i will try to do it. since the car is not in hyderabad anymore i don't have access to any workshop that can work on merc's. I am hoping a competent electrician will be able to take a look at the relay and see if there is something wrong with it.

also found that the wiper in wash/wipe only comes on at speed 3 and not at any other speed.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:57   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Ray thanks for the wiring diagram, but i am a completely ignorant when it comes to electrical issues.

yeah i will try to do it. since the car is not in hyderabad anymore i don't have access to any workshop that can work on merc's. I am hoping a competent electrician will be able to take a look at the relay and see if there is something wrong with it.

also found that the wiper in wash/wipe only comes on at speed 3 and not at any other speed.
So what happens at speed 1 and 2? Does the wash work atleast? Prima facie it seems there are contact issues. Either wiring is bad/got disturbed while doing the motor/or corrosion inside the stalk. So did this happen before u replaced the motor?

Now this leads me to ask. .was ur wiper motor really the culprit? Did u bench test the motor before concluding it as faulty?
Old 15th July 2014, 18:24   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
So what happens at speed 1 and 2? Does the wash work atleast? Prima facie it seems there are contact issues. Either wiring is bad/got disturbed while doing the motor/or corrosion inside the stalk. So did this happen before u replaced the motor?

Now this leads me to ask. .was ur wiper motor really the culprit? Did u bench test the motor before concluding it as faulty?
The wiper is turning on only for wash/wipe that too at speed 3 and nothing else. nothing happens at any other speed. i haven't used the car after 2006,it was parked in our office and used very rarely, if at all. i only began using (i.e me driving the car) from the end of may this year, so don't know what was done to the car since i could not find any records also.

about the motor, it burned out in my presence. so i am sure about that. actually i think may be the switch is the original culprit plus there was no lubrication on the mechanism, they both lead to burning out of the motor, since i tried to get the wiper moving by turning the wiper switch on and off to see if there was any loose contact.

I will try to source the combination stalk from ebay (its going for around 50USD used). I am scared of going for new original from MB since i just paid nearly Rs.3400 for a windshield wiper blade .

One more question the weather stripping on the door is it supposed to extend all the way around the door. I am having a doubt because mine looks like some one cut it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0254.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0255.jpg  

Old 15th July 2014, 19:34   #772
BHPian

Quote:
The wiper is turning on only for wash/wipe that too at speed 3 and nothing else. nothing happens at any other speed. i haven't used the car after 2006,it was parked in our office and used very rarely, if at all. i only began using (i.e me driving the car) from the end of may this year, so don't know what was done to the car since i could not find any records also.

about the motor, it burned out in my presence. so i am sure about that. actually i think may be the switch is the original culprit plus there was no lubrication on the mechanism, they both lead to burning out of the motor, since i tried to get the wiper moving by turning the wiper switch on and off to see if there was any loose contact.

I will try to source the combination stalk from ebay (its going for around 50USD used). I am scared of going for new original from MB since i just paid nearly Rs.3400 for a windshield wiper blade .

One more question the weather stripping on the door is it supposed to extend all the way around the door. I am having a doubt because mine looks like some one cut it off.
The beading is normal, a tiny bit is missing however it does go all the way outside part of the door as you are expecting
Old 15th July 2014, 20:48   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
The beading is normal, a tiny bit is missing however it does go all the way outside part of the door as you are expecting
So there is beading missing from the middle to bottom of the door (pic where door is closed) ?
Old 15th July 2014, 21:17   #774
BHPian

Quote:
So there is beading missing from the middle to bottom of the door (pic where door is closed) ?
You're only missing about 2 inches. That bit tears off really fast anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. Judging by how much is missing, I'd say you get a tiny bit of wind noise at about 145 or so.
Old 16th July 2014, 06:45   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Haha made a typo, missed a word

I meant does not, your weather strip is fine, it does not go arounf the outer edge of the Door as you expect
Old 16th July 2014, 10:07   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Haha made a typo, missed a word

I meant does not, your weather strip is fine, it does not go arounf the outer edge of the Door as you expect
alright then.

some more questions

1) Do you guys know anything about the Fuel Injection pump ? the SA at Authorised Mercedes Service centre told me, there was a problem with it leading to fuel turning black. he said that should be fixed and fuel tank cleaned. according to him it is also causing late starting of car - takes 2 or 3 cranks sometimes for the car to start. a new one would cost Rs.3 Lakh and to fix it (50/50 chance) it would cost Rs.25000.

2) Can this hole in the bumper insert be fixed or do i need a new one. How much would it cost ?

3) can i get the outer glass of the headlight and indicator light (looking for amber coloured) as a stand alone piece. if i can how much would it cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0256_1.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0257_1.jpg  

Old 16th July 2014, 13:34   #777
BHPian

Quote:
alright then.

some more questions

1) Do you guys know anything about the Fuel Injection pump ? the SA at Authorised Mercedes Service centre told me, there was a problem with it leading to fuel turning black. he said that should be fixed and fuel tank cleaned. according to him it is also causing late starting of car - takes 2 or 3 cranks sometimes for the car to start. a new one would cost Rs.3 Lakh and to fix it (50/50 chance) it would cost Rs.25000.

2) Can this hole in the bumper insert be fixed or do i need a new one. How much would it cost ?

3) can i get the outer glass of the headlight and indicator light (looking for amber coloured) as a stand alone piece. if i can how much would it cost.

Fuel turning black? never heard of it; Petrol or diesel

Starting issues unless he is referring to Fuel accumulator, when that goes you can have starting issues. It is changed along with filter, should be under 15k to do that

Bumper can be fixed, take it to any good body shop

Open your headlight and clean it, it needs a clean; you don't need new ones unless lens is scratched. New OEM cost a bomb. Indicators are dime a dozen and cheap with range from clear, amber, blackish tint
Old 16th July 2014, 13:55   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel turning black? never heard of it; Petrol or diesel

Starting issues unless he is referring to Fuel accumulator, when that goes you can have starting issues. It is changed along with filter, should be under 15k to do that
It a diesel E250D. he referred to it as FIP.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:53   #779
BHPian

Quote:
It a diesel E250D. he referred to it as FIP.
Fuel Injection Pump, I have heard it does leak and is a expensive part

if it is leaking, see this link

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM602InjPumpFuelLeak

Other than that I have no experience on this part or diesel :(
Old 16th July 2014, 19:18   #780
BHPian

Quote:
alright then.

some more questions

Fuel injection pump is a high pressure pump that CAN need service after a lot of miles. I don't think authorised MB does this, not sure. Another thing, the ignition system of the E250D has a mechanism wherein air is pumped out of the system on its own, so it is recommended that you hold the crank for as long as 45 to 50 seconds (apx) to start the car, the exact figure is present in the owners manual. I remember my E250D taking very long cranks too.

The bumper rail will be about 3K, but this seems fixable at a decent body shop.

The headlamp itself can be cleaned. As for the indicator lamps, the original Bosch ones are almost impossible to find. DEPO (Taiwanese) turn lamps can be had for about 500 bucks, but they fade fast and it is best to stick with the faded originals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks