Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 14:31   #646
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Right there in Palika Bhawan. You'll have to ask around for the mechanic who is "taking care" of the car. I do know that it used to be parked in Pancheel Park near Max Hospital for the longest time, but you should be aware of the fact that I have seen that car being parked for about a decade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Too bad! You guys don't seem to want to showcase your beauties at all! No pics?! That's a shame!
My car looks exactly the same at Ayush's. Including the black portion of the bumpers. I wonder where he got that idea from?
(No offence man!)
Only difference is that mine has black leather for interior as opposed to the fabric in his car.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 29th April 2014 at 14:36.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:23   #647
BHPian

Windshield Replacement

I need to replace W124's windshield because of hairline crack.

Windshield Experts, Bangalore quoted around Rs 28500 all inclusive, with Saint Gobain glass.

Car Mechs quoted around Rs 17500 all inclusive, with glass of unknown make. I think he sources it from New Delhi.

Now I am in a dilemma. I would like to have Saint Gobain glass, but not sure of Windshield Experts to carry out the job with factory finish keeping all the trims together.

Your suggestions please. Is there anyone else in Bangalore who can do this job ?
Old 30th April 2014, 20:37   #648
BHPian

Re: Windshield Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post

Windshield Experts, Bangalore quoted around Rs 28500 all inclusive, with Saint Gobain glass.

Car Mechs quoted around Rs 17500 all inclusive, with glass of unknown make. I think he sources it from New Delhi.

Now I am in a dilemma. I would like to have Saint Gobain glass, but not sure of Windshield Experts to carry out the job with factory finish keeping all the trims together.

Your suggestions please. Is there anyone else in Bangalore who can do this job ?

First of all press windshield expert a bit more, they will come down to 21-22K; I had taken a quote few months back.

Secondly on brands, prefer OEM and as far as I know Saint Gobain aint MB original, but I can be wrong. As long as they are good quality I would not fret about china or saint gobain

Now to the important part

1. Whichever brand you choose, ensure that the glass comes with a black channel attached to the bottom part of the glass on which your wiper cover gasket will hook on. If it does not have that channel you will have water leaking; this channel cannot be bought separately comes with the glass. Some cheap brands don't have that, so check

2. Take time removing A pilar weather strip / chrome strip; if the clips break replace them, you can see the part numbers in my restoration thread. Don't worry about the metal clips, you can pop rivet them again. Ensure all the metal one are tight [check my restoration pics]

3. Rest its standard glass job, anyone should be able to do

I have mailed some manuals which will help you on this job, cant upload here as size is prohibitive; ignore the part where hood needs to removed or special tools, leave that to the glass fixer, you just be careful of the above points I mentioned
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 09:25   #649
BHPian

Quote:

my experience with non-branded glasses from China and Taiwan is terrible, the glass quality itself is not good giving uneven view leading to splitting headaches on a long drive and the night was even worse because of light refraction from on oncoming vehicles and the distance estimation at high speed also becomes an issue, I had to go back to the OEM glass and spend all over again. I hope you get the picture

Please stick to OEM brands and go only to professional setup using quality materials.

2nd point is, why did you get the crack, is it a stress crack or due to external damage, if stress crack then is there any body warp?

Please do the root cause analysis
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 12:13   #650
BHPian

Quote:

Please go in for the Saint Gobain windshield. It costs about 20K here in Delhi, so bargain with Windshield Experts accordingly. Do NOT go in for the Taiwan crap. I have that on my E220, and it is an absolute nightmare in the winters, the glass fogs up between the laminate, and no amount of wiping will get it clear unless you spray water on it. Although, I have not had the refractive issues that Anupam has faced.
The Taiwan stuff costs about 5K though, and Bangalore doesn't have much of a winter, so maybe the fogging issue won't come up? It's something to consider, but I'd still suggest going in for the Saint Gobain.

As far as the matter of originality goes, the original W124 windshield was manufactured by Sekurit, which is now owned by.. you guessed it. Saint Gobain.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:37   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
I have mailed some manuals which will help you on this job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Please go in for the Saint Gobain windshield... Do NOT go in for the Taiwan crap. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
my experience with non-branded glasses from China and Taiwan is terrible..., I had to go back to the OEM glass and spend all over again.

2nd point is, why did you get the crack, is it a stress crack or due to external damage, if stress crack then is there any body warp?

Please do the root cause analysis
Thanks a lot for your guidance and very informative replies. Accordingly I will insists on the branded glass. I will also try to obtain a quote from MB dealer before taking further decision.

Now coming to why did it happen ? I have no clue. The initial crack around 6 inch appeared when the car was parked under a tree shade in afternoon. It was not hot day and I am sure nothing ( fruit or stone ) is dropped. Looks it fatigue related failure. After a couple of days the crack grew to 8 inch long. In last 3 months, it has remained as it is. There is no water leakage. I don't think there is any body warp - it has always been sedately driven and only between home and office - during off peak hours and on very good roads. The body feels very tight.( I know it because I had owned an Esteem - the nightmare as far as body flex is considered ! ) The car is so well made and put together ... Because of this very reason, I am reluctant to get anything done unless I am sure of 100% quality.
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2014, 21:13   #652
BHPian

Quote:

Now coming to why did it happen ? I have no clue. The initial crack around 6 inch appeared when the car was parked under a tree shade in afternoon. It was not hot day and I am sure nothing ( fruit or stone ) is dropped. Looks it fatigue related failure. After a couple of days the crack grew to 8 inch long. In last 3 months, it has remained as it is.

How much total time since the initial crack? We don't know the reason yet, so how do we know that it will not reoccur

Since there is no immediate impact on daily run, I would recommend you to take it easy and spend more time in researching the root possibilities, and hope to find the most likelihood reason

And not that you may want to opt but if you are covered comprehensive then the windshield is covered
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:59   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
How much total time since the initial crack? We don't know the reason yet, so how do we know that it will not reoccur

Since there is no immediate impact on daily run, I would recommend you to take it easy and spend more time in researching the root possibilities, and hope to find the most likelihood reason

And not that you may want to opt but if you are covered comprehensive then the windshield is covered
Thanks. This is exactly I will do.

Meanwhile MB Service centre quoted around Rs. 75000 for this !

I do have comprehensive insurance from Oriental, but will pay myself - this is not an accident/vandalism and related mostly to fatigue or aging.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:09   #654
Senior - BHPian

Glass is covered 100% in the Insuarance. I would suggest going to Authorized dealer and getting the same done.

While getting glass changed I would suggest you to please get the A/C filter cleaned/ changed.

UPDATE.

I had to change the Throttle Body due to Stalling Issue.I was not getting a Original one new so took it from totaled w124.The car had gone 65K KMs went it got totaled.

Payed 17K for the whole thing. And the Average has also gone up. And with A/C it gives 10+ Now in City.
Old 11th May 2014, 12:10   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Right there in Palika Bhawan. You'll have to ask around for the mechanic who is "taking care" of the car. I do know that it used to be parked in Pancheel Park near Max Hospital for the longest time, but you should be aware of the fact that I have seen that car being parked for about a decade now.

My car looks exactly the same at Ayush's. Including the black portion of the bumpers. I wonder where he got that idea from?
(No offence man!)
Only difference is that mine has black leather for interior as opposed to the fabric in his car.
Thanks for the Help Viraat
Old 14th May 2014, 11:18   #656
BHPian

What happens when the blower speed knob ( left side rotary knob ) is set to the dot position as shown in the attached picture ?

The owner's manual does not explain it.

I see blower is OFF, so no air. But what is this position ? What happens internally ?
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2014, 13:00   #657
BHPian

The dot position, opens the internal flap and you will have fresh air coming in without blower without compressor; so just air
DeepakMenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 13:48   #658
BHPian

Hi guys,

Was away from home last three weeks, came back and took my 96 W124 250D for a spin and noticed that air is not blowing out from the center AC vents. The AC itself is working and the driver and passenger side vents and blowing out cold air fine.

When I close the flaps of both passenger and driver side vents, there is a slight volume of air coming from the center vents, but there is a 'mmmmmm' sound from near the passenger airbag.

Its blowing fine from all the other vents when I tried different positions from the rotary knob on the right side.

Any idea what to check for?
Old 17th May 2014, 15:07   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi guys,

Was away from home last three weeks, came back and took my 96 W124 250D for a spin and noticed that air is not blowing out from the center AC vents. The AC itself is working and the driver and passenger side vents and blowing out cold air fine.

When I close the flaps of both passenger and driver side vents, there is a slight volume of air coming from the center vents, but there is a 'mmmmmm' sound from near the passenger airbag.

Its blowing fine from all the other vents when I tried different positions from the rotary knob on the right side.

Have you checked the vaccum connections in the engine bay?

Is your headlights level motor working

There reason i ask you this is becoz both the above is run by the same vaccum circuit

The center flaps is controlled by a pod, it is not getting vaccum.. Check the above

On e220 the vaccum is drawn for the above two circuit from a pipe next to throttle body
Old 17th May 2014, 18:14   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi guys,

Sometimes the vacuum flaps get stuck. Just rotate the knob which controls the airflow to the various vents several times and it might just get unstuck. Otherwise you have a vacuum leak.
Does the humming sound go away when the AC knob is in the off position?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks