Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 09:05   #556
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
I have a question for Mr. Deepak Menon and any others who are in a position to respond:-Is there a possibility of swapping the right drivers mirror (OVRM) of a RHD car with that of a right passenger mirror (with the relevant rubber shroud / garnish) of a LHD car? I would prefer to have a convex mirror and hence the question. Where could I source the same if it is possible and what would be the outlay that I would have to be prepared for?
Thanks.
Mechanically you can do it, 1:1, direct bolt-on replacement, costs Rs 5000, but it is no good from visibility point of view.
Try this in your car :
Sit on passenger side seat and assume you are in LHD car. Try to adjust the mirror to see the rear view. Do you see it ?
You cant. The mirror glass and adjustment range is positioned so that the driver can see the following traffic and not the passenger !
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 09:26   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Mechanically you can do it, 1:1, direct bolt-on replacement, costs Rs 5000, but it is no good from visibility point of view. Try this in your car : Sit on passenger side seat and assume you are in LHD car. Try to adjust the mirror to see the rear view. Do you see it ? You cant. The mirror glass and adjustment range is positioned so that the driver can see the following traffic and not the passenger !
Absolutely correct. I have tried this, and it is quite bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
HI would any of you have an idea why would my E220 petrol 1996 has a bullock cart ride!? As in no "Mercedes Benz" plushy soft ride? The suspension seems ok..bumps up one n a half times when pushed down (all four sides) the ride is hard and almost every road undulation is felt and there's also negligible body roll no matter how hard u turn it at any speed! (However..The cielo rolls quite a bit comparatively) Clues - dampers are bilstein (not sure weather they are "comforts" or "heavy duty" is there a way to tell? ) Tyres are continentals at back n Bridgestone in front. 2009 tyres..n they feel like a rock to touch compared to my Cielo s turanza (ironically the cielo rides softer than the merc :-( ) also I can see tiny cracks over the entire tread. .is this normal??
1. Change your tires. No matter the tread, it makes a huge difference. I just replaced my 5 year old Primacy's and it made a big difference.
2. Sounds like the shocks are shot - those symptoms are clearly bad shocks/struts. Bilsteins in the US have a lifetime warranty, not sure about India?
3. Check your bushings for correct torque. Sometimes, if there is a clunk or a noise, the easy thing for a mechanic to do is overtighten. Have the car put on a hoist, loosen and retorque all the suspension bushings and lube wherever possible. This made a big difference.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd February 2014 at 14:19. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
benz220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:12   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Mechanically you can do it, 1:1, direct bolt-on replacement, costs Rs 5000, but it is no good from visibility point of view.
Try this in your car :
Sit on passenger side seat and assume you are in LHD car. Try to adjust the mirror to see the rear view. Do you see it ?
You cant. The mirror glass and adjustment range is positioned so that the driver can see the following traffic and not the passenger !
I was contemplating this as the headlamp glare caused by main beam from motorcycles, scooters & cars behind me contemplating overtaking my vehicle is really bad and adds to glare from the high beam users in the opposite direction in the front.

Is there any other solution apart from praying that the motorists in Bangalore refrain from aiming their lights to eye level ? Is there an anti glare mirror available similar to the interior rear view mirror flip ?
Old 31st January 2014, 13:48   #559
BHPian

Well there is such a thing called day amd night mirror which precisely solves the problem. .it comes factory fitted in hyundai Verna. .not sure if its available as an add on
Old 31st January 2014, 13:55   #560
BHPian

Quote:
I was contemplating this as the headlamp glare caused by main beam from motorcycles, scooters & cars behind me contemplating overtaking my vehicle is really bad and adds to glare from the high beam users in the opposite direction in the front.

Is there any other solution apart from praying that the motorists in Bangalore refrain from aiming their lights to eye level ? Is there an anti glare mirror available similar to the interior rear view mirror flip ?

I have never faced this issue with the MB rear views, mind you my car runs mum-pune 3 a month, OEM glass is glare free, had blue tint kind of thing, and automatically manages the reflections depending on day or night.

are you sure the mirror inside your rearview is MB original and not aftermarket?
Old 31st January 2014, 14:08   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
I have never faced this issue with the MB rear views, mind you my car runs mum-pune 3 a month, OEM glass is glare free, had blue tint kind of thing, and automatically manages the reflections depending on day or night.

are you sure the mirror inside your rearview is MB original and not aftermarket?
It is original tinted stuff slightly showing signs of age by discoloration at the edge alone, probably I kept the angle such that the plane mirror on the right door has the headlamp reflected onto my eyes- age is a factor also I'm 64 years old !
Old 31st January 2014, 14:18   #562
BHPian

Quote:
It is original tinted stuff slightly showing signs of age by discoloration at the edge alone, probably I kept the angle such that the plane mirror on the right door has the headlamp reflected onto my eyes- age is a factor also I'm 64 years old !

64; wow is this your first owner car or you picked it up to live your dream?

Starnge no matter how the mirror is, i have never had a headlight glare into my eye; one of the things i love about my car

anyway the glass sound OEM;

Back to topic, it does not make sense to move the squarish mirror to the driver side; MB gave a square mirror on the passenger side to allow the user a inch more of close parking space.. crazy Germans
Old 31st January 2014, 14:33   #563
BHPian

Quote:
64; wow is this your first owner car or you picked it up to live your dream?

Starnge no matter how the mirror is, i have never had a headlight glare into my eye; one of the things i love about my car

anyway the glass sound OEM;

Back to topic, it does not make sense to move the squarish mirror to the driver side; MB gave a square mirror on the passenger side to allow the user a inch more of close parking space.. crazy Germans
Picked up a single owner car after retirement...to live my dream and bestow a good part of my time caring for the car !
Karadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 15:36   #564
BHPian

Any clues what gear oil goes into the e220s manual gearbox? Atf, 75w90 or something else? Searched a lot on this forum and elsewhere but couldn't find a definitive answer. Called t n t gurgaon they want me to purchase a special oil for 2800 rs a litre. They wont/couldn't tell me which type of oil it is. Although Merc says the gear oil need not be changed for life..but the forums say that the "life" is 80000 to 100000 miles...and nevertheless the idea of having a 17 yr old oil running around doesn't give a good feeling.

There are no problems as such but when the gearbox ws out for the engines real seal change I did notice very little play in the input shaft..but no leaks anywhere. It this normal for a 145000 km gearbox?

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 1st February 2014 at 15:39.
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:53   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Any clues what gear oil goes into the e220s manual gearbox? Atf, 75w90 or something else? Searched a lot on this forum and elsewhere but couldn't find a definitive answer. Called t n t gurgaon they want me to purchase a special oil for 2800 rs a litre. They wont/couldn't tell me which type of oil it is. Although Merc says the gear oil need not be changed for life..but the forums say that the "life" is 80000 to 100000 miles...and nevertheless the idea of having a 17 yr old oil running around doesn't give a good feeling.

There are no problems as such but when the gearbox ws out for the engines real seal change I did notice very little play in the input shaft..but no leaks anywhere. It this normal for a 145000 km gearbox?

You are right, the oil for life means only 100,000 or so

The manual sat ATF as per MB sheet 236.2, link of all brands below

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.2_en.html

Please note this is as per user manual
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:25   #566
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, the oil for life means only 100,000 or so

The manual sat ATF as per MB sheet 236.2, link of all brands below

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.2_en.html

Please note this is as per user manual
Thanks a lot! Wonder why I am unable to find it in my user manual. So I ll go with a good quality shell dexron II/III ATF. Thanks again..!
Old 5th February 2014, 16:23   #567

Could the W124 250D owners list what Engine Oil they are using - Mineral/Synthetic/Semi-Synthetic; grade/viscosity and which brand? Also, considering all 124's are over a decade and a half old would it be prudent to consider an engine flush before shifting from mineral to synthetic or visa-versa?

I intend to do the later on my 92'import (switch back from synthetic to mineral) this weekend in case the general consensus leans towards mineral over synthetic.

PS: Also what oil/filter change schedule/frequency is everyone adhering to?
Old 5th February 2014, 16:56   #568
Senior - BHPian

I told you Sir to Use Mineral Oil. Please switch back and i will also come with you.
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 18:24   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right View Post
Could the W124 250D owners list what Engine Oil they are using - Mineral/Synthetic/Semi-Synthetic; grade/viscosity and which brand? Also, considering all 124's are over a decade and a half old would it be prudent to consider an engine flush before shifting from mineral to synthetic or visa-versa?

I intend to do the later on my 92'import (switch back from synthetic to mineral) this weekend in case the general consensus leans towards mineral over synthetic.

PS: Also what oil/filter change schedule/frequency is everyone adhering to?

I would not suggest a switch back, if your car has been running on synthetic all this while; either way synthetic is a better oil

I change my oil when I have nothing to do on a weekend, takes me 15 mins, one can never change oil too much

manual says 10K is service A which includes oil change
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 22:23   #570
BHPian

How do you get rid of the old oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks