Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 02:06   #511
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Aware of the trip meter being reset only at standstill, which is exactly what I did, but it decided to go belly up - and I crapped myself! On a wing and a prayer, when I gingerly tried to reset it again while waiting to pick up a friend, voila - it was all hunky dory of it's own accord. Ever since then, I don't touch the ruddy thing..
Just make sure that the 0's align with each other. It tends to go wonky if it isn't fully reset. I just press it twice to ensure that it works just fine. I found that sometimes the button/stalk/whatever gets stuck halfway in and doesn't come out fully, which accounts for a flawed mileage or lack of movement, depending on the degree of the screw up.
Go ahead, take a chance!

You'll need to place an order in advance, I think. It can take a while for the speakers to arrive from Germany if they don't have them in stock over here. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of weeks for one of the pairs to arrive. Can't say for certain, fuzzy memory.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 12:18   #512
NKR
BHPian

Hi all,

Are there any Pontons or Fintails available for sale.

Thanks NKR
Old 1st December 2013, 22:08   #513
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

I have a new problem. I drove my 220 after about 5-6 weeks and the car is stalling when cold. I started her early morning and it's 9c here.

After she is warm there is no problem. She drives and idles nicely what can be the problem??

Please help
Old 1st December 2013, 22:38   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Hi guys

I have a new problem. I drove my 220 after about 5-6 weeks and the car is stalling when cold. I started her early morning and it's 9c here.

After she is warm there is no problem. She drives and idles nicely what can be the problem??

Please help
It seems like your car is running lean when it is cold.
You could get your MAF sensor cleaned or checked out.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:27   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys

Please help
That is why there used to be "Choke" in the older carburetor cars.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:31   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is why there used to be "Choke" in the older carburetor cars.
I believe the E220 Is a MPFI car. So what can cause such a problem.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:40   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the E220 Is a MPFI car. So what can cause such a problem.
In that case check the injectors for clogging, as a clogged injector = lean mixture = starting problem when cold.

Another problem area is the spark plug/HT wiring. Check the plugs and clean the HT wiring of dirt and oil (if any). Finally check and adjust the distributor.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:50   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In that case check the injectors for clogging, as a clogged injector = lean mixture = starting problem when cold.

Another problem area is the spark plug/HT wiring. Check the plugs and clean the HT wiring of dirt and oil (if any). Finally check and adjust the distributor.

All this has been done before parking the car. And she is running on full bottle of system G in the tank
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:04   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Hi all,

Are there any Pontons or Fintails available for sale.

Thanks NKR
hey there..there is 58 ponton for sale RHD..call 9880270959..sorry i dont know who he is but I juts saw the ad in the papers and saw your requirement so thought you could need it...bets of luck....vinay
bravismah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:22   #520
BHPian

Any problem with the HT leads or injectors will show to some extent even if the motor is up to temperature. senors like the MAF when dirty do not give proper signals to the ECU leading to such situations. You should also get the coolant temperature sensor checked as it too contributes to a good A-F mixture while starting a cold engine.
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:46   #521
NKR
BHPian

Thanks a lot bravismah, I shall contact him.

Regards NKR
Old 4th December 2013, 21:02   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Gentlemen...(and ladies!)

Have a question. The right rear window power window has been on an indefinite non-cooperative movement (pun intended) and refuses to open or shut with either the central console switch, or the rear switch.

Ideas?

Also, how do-able is opening the front instrument cluster and giving the panel inside a lick of matt black paint - the panel for lack of a better word has started to look ratty! The front speaker grilles are due to get a spray over, because of unsightly condensation rust on the edges of it.

Speaking of speakers (see what happened there?) I'm also at my wits end with finding appropriate sized speakers that will fit in the front (and rear) enclosures, without ANY drilling/cutting. Illusion/Hertz/Infinity - have no strong preference. Have a 4 channel soundstream amp carried over from my Safari, which I'd happily plonk into 'Herr Kampfpanzer', allowing him a bit of a growl in the mornings...

Go ahead, Open the meter console, It pulls out from the sides using a hook.

It is quite simple, I just restored my meter console as the odo had stopped working

Google, this has been covered at many places

Just one tip; when you get to cleaning the internal binnacle, please don use water or any liquid, that plastic tends to turn white with moister, and once it turns white it does not go easily

I had to sit a Roberts Black and get it to look better, but very happy with the result

My car is under restoration, not getting time to start the thread, but u will see more pictures on this once I start the thread
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:33   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Go ahead, Open the meter console, It pulls out from the sides using a hook.

It is quite simple, I just restored my meter console as the odo had stopped working

Google, this has been covered at many places

Just one tip; when you get to cleaning the internal binnacle, please don use water or any liquid, that plastic tends to turn white with moister, and once it turns white it does not go easily

I had to sit a Roberts Black and get it to look better, but very happy with the result

My car is under restoration, not getting time to start the thread, but u will see more pictures on this once I start the thread
Removing the console isn't that hard. If you don't have the hooks, use a cloth covered screw driver, or as I once found, if you press your thumbs against the wall of the console, exerting force outwards, you can pull out the thing without any tools. I like this method the best, as it takes away any chance of a scratch or anything.

I'm awaiting pictures of the restoration! In the mean time, I shall search for a decent thread on restoring the meter console.

Don't quite understand what you mean when you say "I had to sit a Roberts Black and get it to look better".

Good luck with your restoration.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:12   #524
BHPian

Roberts Black, is a product used to restore bumpers or any old plastic, since i tried cleaning dust in the binnacle with water, it started turning light brown with white spots, so i used it to dye it back to the original color
Old 4th December 2013, 23:17   #525
BHPian

A quick google search only led to results about rum and serial killers, but I figure that I'll use plastic restorer on the black surround IF I ever open the console. Which probably won't happen till the white spots bother me a lot.
Thanks though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks