Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 11:14   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

I have a problem. I recently found out that my Rear head Rests were only going down but not coming up when I press the button.But I can manually put them up if required. Can someone please explain me its working and also how to fix it. The manual I got doesn't mention this as a problem.

Last edited by manikjeet : 25th July 2013 at 11:36.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:07   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I have a problem. I recently found out that my Rear head Rests were only going down but not coming up when I press the button.But I can manually put them up if required. Can someone please explain me its working and also how to fix it. The manual I got doesn't mention this as a problem.
Have you considered the fact that that is exactly how they are supposed to work?
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 12:14   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Have you considered the fact that that is exactly how they are supposed to work?
Now this a little embarrassing. So my car if working fine.

But I remember seeing it somewhere that the Head rest also went up with the help of the Button.But I maybe wrong. Stupid ME.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:17   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Now this a little embarrassing. So my car if working fine.

But I remember seeing it somewhere that the Head rest also went up with the help of the Button.But I maybe wrong. Stupid ME.
Haha. It's fine. Happens to the best of us!

It doesn't in this car. You see, the headrest functions via the vacuum system of the car. It isn't motorised in any way, so the only thing it CAN do is make it drop down.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:32   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha. It's fine. Happens to the best of us!

It doesn't in this car. You see, the headrest functions via the vacuum system of the car. It isn't motorised in any way, so the only thing it CAN do is make it drop down.
Thanks for the clarification.

Now the only thing not working is my brain..

On a serious note can any body get me a part list to make the Outside Temp display working.

Edit: found it http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...w123-300d.html

Last edited by manikjeet : 25th July 2013 at 12:35.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:35   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Now the only thing not working is my brain..

On a serious note can any body get me a part list to make the Outside Temp display working.

Edit: found it http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...w123-300d.html
There is another thread on peachparts which uses the W124 unit in the W123, I think.

The cost for us if we order all the parts on ebay will be in excess of US $50.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:53   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is another thread on peachparts which uses the W124 unit in the W123, I think.

The cost for us if we order all the parts on ebay will be in excess of US $50.
The link I have included also mentions the W124 unit.

I would like to know that if you have the part numbers. If yes please let me know I would order for all. I would also like to know will a US spec unit work and I don't mind it showing the reading in F as along as its working.

Update
Just tanked up betz and got a FE of 8.976. Almost 9. I am happy, as I was only expecting around 7. This is all city driving with 100% a/c.

Last edited by manikjeet : 25th July 2013 at 14:00.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:59   #368
BHPian

Quote:
The link I have included the W124 unit also.

I would like to know that if you have the part numbers. If yes please let me know I would order for all. I would also like to know will a us spec unit work and I mind it showing the reading in F as along as its working.

Update
Just tanked up betz and got a FE of 8.976. Almost 9. I am happy, as I was only expecting around 7. This all city driving with 100% a/c.
The US spec should work, but there could be some complication with the 4 or 5 pin thing, I am not entirely sure yet.

The part numbers are there on that thread I think, but we can always check them up.

If it is possible to order from Canada, that would be great, cause they use Celsius.

EDIT — Did you do any injector cleaning or anything? Or did the average just go up on it's own? That is good economy, by the way. I've been getting about 7.8 the last 4 times.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 25th July 2013 at 14:00.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:10   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The US spec should work, but there could be some complication with the 4 or 5 pin thing, I am not entirely sure yet.

The part numbers are there on that thread I think, but we can always check them up.

If it is possible to order from Canada, that would be great, cause they use Celsius.

EDIT — Did you do any injector cleaning or anything? Or did the average just go up on it's own? That is good economy, by the way. I've been getting about 7.8 the last 4 times.
I read about a convertor for the same,but you could please guide me for the number of pins. And yes I can have them ordered from Canada also.

And no injector cleaning done. I just drove her between the 50-60 kmph mark. I was also getting around 7 few days back when I was enjoying leaving the modded Honda cities and Lancers behind.
Time to take her on the highway.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:49   #370
BHPian

Quote:
I read about a convertor for the same,but you could please guide me for the number of pins. And yes I can have them ordered from Canada also.

And no injector cleaning done. I just drove her between the 50-60 kmph mark. I was also getting around 7 few days back when I was enjoying leaving the modded Honda cities and Lancers behind.
Time to take her on the highway.

I haven't read too much, but I think it's just that the type 1 W124 had 4 pins, and the type 2 (yours) uses 5 pins. Again, not entirely sure.

Haha. That is always fun. Anyway, try using ABRO Fuel Injector Cleaner in a tankful of petrol, it'll clean out all the residue and stuff and you'll see a noticeable improvement once the tank is over. If not for any other reason, but as a general maintenance. I do it once every 5K kms as a matter of habit.

EDIT — My 300th post!

Last edited by Viraat13 : 25th July 2013 at 14:50.
Old 25th July 2013, 16:16   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't read too much, but I think it's just that the type 1 W124 had 4 pins, and the type 2 (yours) uses 5 pins. Again, not entirely sure.

Haha. That is always fun. Anyway, try using ABRO Fuel Injector Cleaner in a tankful of petrol, it'll clean out all the residue and stuff and you'll see a noticeable improvement once the tank is over. If not for any other reason, but as a general maintenance. I do it once every 5K kms as a matter of habit.

EDIT — My 300th post!
Oh thanks for the clarification will keep that in mind. Will be finding the parts numbers and posting it here.

Yup thats always fun. I like the fact that a car dating its roots back to early 80's will still take on 30 year younger technology. Even a brand new accord or a corrolla can't take one a W124 done around 2.50lac. Truely they were the last true mercedes made. I drive a C 250cdi C204 on a daily basis but the W124 is the best.

I also saw your signature and you to owned a contessa. I know many previous contessa owners buying a w124.
Will buy the injector cleaner today itself.

Edit this is my 1500 post.

Last edited by manikjeet : 25th July 2013 at 16:19.
Old 25th July 2013, 17:22   #372

Quote:
I like the fact that a car dating its roots back to early 80's will still take on 30 year younger technology. Even a brand new accord or a corrolla can't take one a W124 done around 2.50lac. Truely they were the last true mercedes made. I drive a C 250cdi C204 on a daily basis but the W124 is the best.
The highways are where the W124 wants to be. When it takes on the road undulations with nonchalance at 150+ kmph speeds, that is when you realise its true beauty.
Old 25th July 2013, 19:14   #373
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manek, must say its a great looking car you have there. Really hard to find such a well maintained vehicle today. Two things u must source to complete the car is 1) the rear antennae rubber boot which is not OE spec on your car and the gear lever boot which looks worn out. Dont try to get it made locally, just get one from any Benz parts store in chandigarh, ludhiana or bombay.
Also please dont use 93 in your car. That fuel comes with an additive which clogs your injectors in the long run as the additive does not agree with the Indian climatic conditions nor with the fuel pump which will go kaput within 15k kms. this was told to me by the MBIL guys here. I used only regular fuel througout.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 23:16   #374
BHPian

So, she came home today. A detailed 'I bought my car thread coming soon'.
1996, E250, 1,24,xxx km on the odo
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-dsc_0065.jpg
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 01:59   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Yup thats always fun. I like the fact that a car dating its roots back to early 80's will still take on 30 year younger technology. Even a brand new accord or a corrolla can't take one a W124 done around 2.50lac. Truely they were the last true mercedes made. I drive a C 250cdi C204 on a daily basis but the W124 is the best.

I also saw your signature and you to owned a contessa. I know many previous contessa owners buying a w124.
Will buy the injector cleaner today itself.
I agree with you a 100%. The joy of driving a old car..

Yes, my family did have a Contessa. We had it for 14 years and for about 375,000 kms.

Just don't use the injector cleaner too often. Once every 5K is how much I use it, but it's probably safer to do it on a need to basis. If you don't see an improvement, you could look into replacing the fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also please dont use 93 in your car. That fuel comes with an additive which clogs your injectors in the long run as the additive does not agree with the Indian climatic conditions nor with the fuel pump which will go kaput within 15k kms. this was told to me by the MBIL guys here. I used only regular fuel througout.
I believe you're confusing Xtra Premium with 93 octane. The so called premium stuff is 91 octane, and in fact, more expensive than 93 due to the added chemicals and what not. Either way, the fuel with the additives is poison for a car in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
So, she came home today. A detailed 'I bought my car thread coming soon'.
1996, E250, 1,24,xxx km on the odo
Congrats!

Waiting for the posts right here, or in the new thread. Should be fun.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 26th July 2013 at 02:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks