Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 02:50   #346
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Viraat, Tharakan, everyone,

So finally finally finally! Pics coming up in a couple of days. Its Midnight/Federal/Dark Blue. 1,24,xxx done (genuine), 1996 make, very well maintained. Vouched by a reputed Merc mechanic (who also happen to be a relative of us) who has been servicing the vehicle. I had to extend the budget a little bit and giving the token about tomorrow.

Not the alloy-wheeled version though
Congrats!

The alloy wheels are not the be all and end all. Can get a original set of 4 or 5 for about 30K if you look hard. In fact, the hub caps are harder to find, and just as expensive these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Can fellow members please guide me if Indian W124 came with Outside Temp Display.
No outside temperature gauge. The little slot in the meter console remains blank.
It's a useful feature though. I might try and see if it can be retrofitted sometime in the future.
Old 21st July 2013, 06:45   #347
BHPian

Congats on your buy. Post the photos soon.

The picture shows how the wiper cowl is disslocated from the windshield.
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2013, 13:14   #348
BHPian

Does the cowl not even latch into the slot at the lower end?? if the upper end is all is left.. use two-way tape for the moment; stops water getting into the blower area etc
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:30   #349
BHPian

The lower end is intact. But will the double side tape help in holding water? I was thinking about using matt black sticker so that water can flow over it.
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:32   #350
BHPian

I am not actually sure about the outside temp reading. I have seen it working but a little confused on whether it was a w210.
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:36   #351
Senior - BHPian

Update

Got my Windshield Delivered today.Will have It fitted by this weekend and also will have the power window switch and the headlight switch fitted while their.
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:13   #352
BHPian

Guys where do you buy spares from?? i am in lookout for a parts supplier both old and new for w124
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:54   #353
BHPian

What was the cost of the windshield? Is it OE? I belive all the spares i buy here comes from mumbai.
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:46   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharakan9 View Post
I am not actually sure about the outside temp reading. I have seen it working but a little confused on whether it was a w210.
Must've been a W210, or a W124 import, as most of them used to have it as standard equipment. Unfortunately, it's not there in my 300E either.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:21   #355
BHPian

I seem to have a large problem at hand

My '97 E220 124 seems to have waterlogged in the torrential delhi rains in the last couple of days. Now as I am out of the country until september, I'm stumped and worried.

There has never been any water leakage into the car in the past. I have driven it extensively in the rains last year and always parked it outside.

I got a call from my family in Delhi yesterday, and it seems that water somehow seeped into the floor bay (carpet). I believe there is no water collection in the engine bay or boot, it's just in the cabin.

My dad and driver removed the mats, put the car in the uncovered parking lot inside our property and opened up the doors/windows for the carpet to dry in the sun. Now, as per the information I have received, the front doesn't have collected water but the carpet is still damp. The rear carpet around the rear bench isn't just wet - you can see water if you poke it, so I'm guessing there's about an inch of water in there.

The problem further is that my dad will probably not have the time to get this looked at. I also want to avoid the workshops (A.S.S) knowing the list of problems they may generate looking at water damage, and the overload of work they suggest at astronomical costs. It is a 17 year old car, after all!

I am going to send my driver to Palika Bhawan to have this shown. Do you think I should have the entire carpet removed? Or use a dryer / blower on it? I believe a wet carpet lining, once removed, may deform and not be usable anymore. On the other hand, leaving it to dry may result in further seepage to the internal body at the bottom, leading to possible internal damage or rust?

I have no pictures and haven't seen the extent of seepage myself :(
Please suggest a solution. I'm beginning to panic!

Note - it's been a couple of days since this happened. The car drives fine and the electricals work perfectly, so I've been told.

Last edited by ayushagarwal26 : 23rd July 2013 at 23:23. Reason: Adding a missed point
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:41   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
I seem to have a large problem at hand

My '97 E220 124 seems to have waterlogged in the torrential delhi rains in the last couple of days. Now as I am out of the country until september, I'm stumped and worried.

There has never been any water leakage into the car in the past. I have driven it extensively in the rains last year and always parked it outside.

I got a call from my family in Delhi yesterday, and it seems that water somehow seeped into the floor bay (carpet). I believe there is no water collection in the engine bay or boot, it's just in the cabin.

My dad and driver removed the mats, put the car in the uncovered parking lot inside our property and opened up the doors/windows for the carpet to dry in the sun. Now, as per the information I have received, the front doesn't have collected water but the carpet is still damp. The rear carpet around the rear bench isn't just wet - you can see water if you poke it, so I'm guessing there's about an inch of water in there.

The problem further is that my dad will probably not have the time to get this looked at. I also want to avoid the workshops (A.S.S) knowing the list of problems they may generate looking at water damage, and the overload of work they suggest at astronomical costs. It is a 17 year old car, after all!

I am going to send my driver to Palika Bhawan to have this shown. Do you think I should have the entire carpet removed? Or use a dryer / blower on it? I believe a wet carpet lining, once removed, may deform and not be usable anymore. On the other hand, leaving it to dry may result in further seepage to the internal body at the bottom, leading to possible internal damage or rust?

I have no pictures and haven't seen the extent of seepage myself :(
Please suggest a solution. I'm beginning to panic!

Note - it's been a couple of days since this happened. The car drives fine and the electricals work perfectly, so I've been told.
I belive that the first thing to do is find out where the water is coming from. You can remove the front carpet without any damage. Just be careful while removing the carpet from the driver side. Try not to fold the carpet and give extra care while removing the carpet from the accelator area.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:48   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was the cost of the windshield? Is it OE? I believe all the spares i buy here comes from Mumbai.
It for about 3K and another 900 for the sealant. No labor to be paid by me as I am getting it done at my dads Factory.

Yup most spare come from Mumbai. I am stocking every spare I find in Chandigarh
Old 24th July 2013, 11:46   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post

It for about 3K and another 900 for the sealant. No labor to be paid by me as I am getting it done at my dads Factory.

Yup most spare come from Mumbai. I am stocking every spare I find in Chandigarh
I belive it is not the original glass. Did you buy the beading for the top and bottom? 3k is very reasonable. I would recomand you use two sealent as the glass area is huge.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:58   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I belive it is not the original glass. Did you buy the beading for the top and bottom? 3k is very reasonable. I would recomand you use two sealent as the glass area is huge.
No I didn't buy the beading. What I was told on the international forums is that they just pull out and stick rite back in.

Yes the glass is PPG with the star. Will buy one more tube of sealant
Old 24th July 2013, 14:07   #360
BHPian

Ayush

Couple of tips to check water leakage

If the left mat is wet
-Check your AC drain pipe; its a foam pipe, will disintegrate and dump condensed water to the mat; the best way to check is; remove mat; start the AC at full blast wait for 30 mins and see if water comes in..

If both the mats are wet and only front
- Check the drains on either side of the windscreen; they get clogged over a period of time; and even if they are partially blocked; with torretial rain all water may not go down.. they then overflow through the side panel into carpet
-Check the drain hole under the AC filter
-Remove your battery and tray and check for holes there
-If your windscreen is never been replaced; then you can be sure that the leak is not from there
-If your wiper cowl is not proper; then the water may have rusted firewall and water is coming from there

If Rear Carpets are Wet
- Check the beading on the rear windscreen

Check for all weatherstrip; just in case

However .. i am quite sure in 90% cases it is the AC drain pipe..

Do not get hassled..

PS: forgot.. all drain needs to cleaned from bottom of the car.. do not poke anything from top..its a tapered pipe..you will block it more..

Last edited by DeepakMenon : 24th July 2013 at 14:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks