Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 19:14   #631
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Well it is a band aid; and nothing apart from FE will go worse off; So go ahead do it till you figure out what needs to be done

As far wiring harness, any harness post 95/96 does not have eco junk and should not mean a engine harness change

Even if it does mean so; a competent electrician will get it done as long as all sensors are provided at a fraction of the cost; and I will choose that way

As far as LLR goes; New or worse case used; however change cheaper parts first; Rule of thumb
Band aid fix indeed. My car is in perfect running condition. I got a new MAF and an LLR, so I have nothing to worry about.

Wiring harness in my '96 E220 was in pieces when I bought the car, so I got a new one then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
What's an LLR? Where is it located?
It's the throttle body. Located where the accelerator cable ends.
Old 4th March 2014, 21:40   #632
BHPian

I always wonder what goes wrong in the throttle body? I know it has mechanical springs slides etc; which can be restored

what about the electrical part; just curious
Old 4th March 2014, 22:56   #633
BHPian

I think it must be the variable resistor or potentiometer like arrangement. ..which works like a volume knob linked to the shaft of the butterfly valve which tells the ecu how much its open.

From what I feel..the continously sliding actions of the contacts on the variable resistance plate due to throttle movement causes wear..add corrosion. .dust n layer build up which ruins its functions..

I am contemplating opening up the throttle body and have a look. It had two or three screws on the black cover if I remember correctly.
Old 5th March 2014, 01:03   #634
BHPian

The control board inside gets fried because the wires are the same biodegradable rubbish and they fuse together, which causes all the problems. If you manage to get a LLR rewired in time, it can be salvaged.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 5th March 2014 at 01:06.
Old 5th March 2014, 10:28   #635
BHPian

Absolutely. ..have seen cases where u can barely distinguish the color of the wires..coz they are all faded and crumbled. worst case you ll see one color...copper :-o
Old 7th March 2014, 16:21   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Absolutely. ..have seen cases where u can barely distinguish the color of the wires..coz they are all faded and crumbled. worst case you ll see one color...copper :-o
Exactly. That's what my old LLR was like. I'd got it opened up to see if it could be rewired, but it was just one massive wire inside the main insulation, everything else was just powder. I'm still slightly amazed that it was working at all.
Old 8th March 2014, 09:59   #637
BHPian

Dear Friends,
If anyone knows of a well maintained KA registered W124, preferably Single Owner, please PM me. I am in Bangalore thanks.

Car will only be driven 1000km per month on an average. Would you guys recommend petrol over the diesel variant from an ownership point of view?

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 8th March 2014 at 10:03.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:11   #638
BHPian

Petrol any day guru ;-) smooth noise free and relatively much quicker on the track and lesser maintenance if you get a car in a reasonable condition to begin with. Rest take a test drive and see what suits you or what you are looking for.
Old 15th March 2014, 19:14   #639
BHPian

Does anybody have the manufacturers pressure charts for the e220s aircon? I am trying to find the high n low side pressure for the AC compressor of E220..thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 16:40   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Hey

This post is a little OT, and not directly connected to the W124 - I still thought it makes sense here, as it's sure to get the Mercedes enthusiasts interested!

I was in Palika Bhawan recently, getting some minor stuff done on my car, when I saw this beauty - looks like an SL (It had no badging at the rear so I don't know the spec) - it's definitely between 99 to 2002 or close. What saddened me was its state of neglect. I was a little caught up on time, and couldn't try and find out who the owner is / why it has been abandoned, if so . Next time I'm there I'll surely find out.

Can somebody help me identify the exact spec? Also, if it's up for sale (I'll find out as soon as I can) - can somebody rescue it please? I would so love to, but I can't manage two old mercedes cars in my garage. That said, my family would kill me - a W124 is enough to take care of. I wish.... but let's not dream. Maybe someday :(

---

On a similar note, there is a 1996 W124 E220, silver, in pretty good shape (just neglected - a little dusty, no hood ornament, mirrors etc.), but looks like it's in perfectly usable condition. I pass it every day on my way to work, and my heart cries out to her. Someone looking for a W124, please contact me - I have no idea who the owner is, but it's parked in front of a house very close to mine, and I would love to go meet the owner and discuss a possible sale. I just hate to see that car lying there every day!
Hi Ayush,

Is this car still lying around?

Regards,
Old 28th April 2014, 20:04   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Hi Ayush,

Is this car still lying around?

Regards,
It's there. Deteriorated even further.
Old 28th April 2014, 20:35   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Too bad! You guys don't seem to want to showcase your beauties at all! No pics?! That's a shame!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 00:41   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Too bad! You guys don't seem to want to showcase your beauties at all! No pics?! That's a shame!
Haha... haven't taken any good pics in a long time. My car is due for a little mechanical and cosmetic work as she turns 18 this june. Perhaps after that?

For now, here's one. It's three years old though, and I had once posted it on another thread:
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-car.jpg  

ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 09:44   #644
BHPian

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Brethren, am new to this thread and will take a while before I run through end to end to get the handle, so just a quick question, is there any Pune - Mumbai group out here or on any other thread with similar interest

Last edited by Anupam : 29th April 2014 at 09:45.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:12   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
It's there. Deteriorated even further.
Can you please tell me the whereabouts or direct me to the owner?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks