Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 13:15   #526
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

There you go, trust me, just use dry cloth, any liquid will turn it white and bother you enough, it will look like mildew /fungus spots

http://www.indiamart.com/autotyres/c...-products.html

Robert Bumper Black
Old 5th December 2013, 14:49   #527
BHPian

Would really like some pictures of your restored instrument cluster. If it looks very tempting, I might just get to it on Sunday.

Many thanks.
Old 6th December 2013, 15:18   #528
BHPian

Attached is the restored binnacle, don't have pictures of it all installed back as I did not bother, When cleaning the dial be careful, don't use any solvents as its painted, just use any light cleaner

I tried a bit of megauir polish on the dial, with care and it did make the numbers a bit cleaner, but be very careful

You can pull out the warning lights strip from corner and give that a clean too

Dont try removing the plastic clear panel, it is a pain to put it back properly
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-20131124_122449.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-20131124_122513.jpg  

DeepakMenon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 09:15   #529

Does anyone have advice on replacing fuel injectors on a 1987 300E? My '87 300E has only 88,000 miles, but it sat for about 5 years, and the prior owner seldom drove it. Always garaged, it looks new. Put in new rotor, distributor cap, wires, & plugs. It starts hard due to leak down of fuel line pressure, and runs rough for the first 10-15 seconds. So I replaced the fuel pump, check valve, accumulator, and fuel filter. No change. So now I will replace the fuel injectors, seals and injector holders. If anyone has done this before and has advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2013, 19:03   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercfan124 View Post
Does anyone have advice on replacing fuel injectors on a 1987 300E? My '87 300E has only 88,000 miles, but it sat for about 5 years, and the prior owner seldom drove it. Always garaged, it looks new. Put in new rotor, distributor cap, wires, & plugs. It starts hard due to leak down of fuel line pressure, and runs rough for the first 10-15 seconds. So I replaced the fuel pump, check valve, accumulator, and fuel filter. No change. So now I will replace the fuel injectors, seals and injector holders. If anyone has done this before and has advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Is your EHA valve okay?
From what I have heard and gathered, the injectors rarely are the problem on this car. They aren't too difficult to replace, just ensure that you replace the rubber seals. The iron or copper ones will work just fine though. See if you can use a large syringe to check the spray of your old injectors before replacing them.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 17:19   #531
BHPian

Guys, as some of you maybe aware that my W124 is undergoing a restoration, You can check on the thread in the Technical section and I wanted some help on Audio / Stereo set-up you guys are running. To be honest I am a Zero in this respect.

What I want to know is what kind of speakers are you running front and back, is it worth spending money here or should I be happy with the OEM configurations

Lastly has anyone of you further improved the sound insulation in the car, I know it is a vault but made it a better one?
Old 24th December 2013, 18:00   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Guys, as some of you maybe aware that my W124 is undergoing a restoration, You can check on the thread in the Technical section and I wanted some help on Audio / Stereo set-up you guys are running. To be honest I am a Zero in this respect.

What I want to know is what kind of speakers are you running front and back, is it worth spending money here or should I be happy with the OEM configurations

Lastly has anyone of you further improved the sound insulation in the car, I know it is a vault but made it a better one?
IF you are looking to do a stock set up, meaning a head unit and 4 speakers, I cannot stress enough how good Rainbow speakers are for the W124. I'm using a JVC HU (primarily because I can adjust the lighting in to orange to match the interior lights, but the sound quality is excellent) and four Rainbow speakers, and it is just brilliant! The sound stage is fantastic in the W124 to begin with, and the Rainbows (made specifically for the W124) extract the full potential. They're hand made in Germany, so the entire set of 4 will set you back by 40K or so, but the good part is, no drilling holes in the dash, nothing. They just clip into place. Otherwise there is endless potential when it comes to subs and what not.

For sound deadening you can probably use dynamat in the doors if you're really keen. But the stuff is expensive.

EDIT — 40K for the "cheap" ones, as far as I know. You can easily spend a lot more.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 24th December 2013 at 18:05.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:36   #533
BHPian

Thanks Virat, 40k for a system somehow won't be digested by my wallet, i rather use that on lowering springs or worse shorter MB springs

Guess i will live with my speakers
Old 25th December 2013, 14:56   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Virat, 40k for a system somehow won't be digested by my wallet, i rather use that on lowering springs or worse shorter MB springs

Guess i will live with my speakers
Install regular 4 inch speakers, they fit inside the 4.25 inch slots with washers and screws. Larger than that will involve drilling and cutting the slots, which a lot of us aren't keen to do. My E220 runs a rubbish Sony system, which desperately needs a speaker upgrade.
As and when I save up enough, I'll replace the front speakers first, because I'm always driving the car in any case.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:37   #535
BHPian

Fellow W124iites

I am in a dilemma and really could use some expert inputs/ advice.

My W124 300D's starter motor has packed up. It has done duty in the car for nearly 20 years! The problem is that I am unable to source a new one in Hyderabad.

Firstly is it worth repairing? If yes any online threads/ help files will definitely help.

If not where can I source one, and how much will it cost?

BTW my engine is a 606.910 and the starter is made by Bosch.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:01   #536

Hi All, need some help on a w124 e250 diesel 1996. Recently found a cable tied to and running below the driver seat with a Red 2 pin connector on it. Was surprised to see that the connector as separated (read : disconnected). Was wondering what this connector is and why it was disconnected. For all possibility, i feel this got pulled out when adjusting the seat. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th January 2014, 13:50   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaymagal View Post
Hi All, need some help on a w124 e250 diesel 1996. Recently found a cable tied to and running below the driver seat with a Red 2 pin connector on it. Was surprised to see that the connector as separated (read : disconnected). Was wondering what this connector is and why it was disconnected. For all possibility, i feel this got pulled out when adjusting the seat. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thats your SRS connector, Connect it back

If this connector is disconnected the SRS light stays on, Hope your is always ON, else your lights are disconnected from behind the meter
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 13:53   #538

Quote:
Thats your SRS connector, Connect it back

If this connector is disconnected the SRS light stays on, Hope your is always ON, else your lights are disconnected from behind the meter
Surprisingly, SRS Lights are not on. Got to check the console then. But per my knowledge, the console was not opened earlier.any specific checks you would suggest prior to re-connecting ?any troubleshooting?
Old 10th January 2014, 20:46   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaymagal View Post
Surprisingly, SRS Lights are not on. Got to check the console then. But per my knowledge, the console was not opened earlier.any specific checks you would suggest prior to re-connecting ?any troubleshooting?

Do they light up when you turn you key just before crank?

If it never lights up, it can be a case of bulb fuse or not connected behind the cluster provided all other indicators light up on turn 1 of the key
Old 16th January 2014, 01:57   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Guys

Finally, checked the entire vacuum piping and it turns out there was some cross connection.

All sorted now, refitted many things and voila vehicle starts on first crank.

Now, following are issues that need sorting.

1) idling is a bit rough, mechanic says there is still some air in the system. Contemplating the addition of an electric fuel pump. comments welcome.

2) Tachometer is not working at all. Need inputs.

Will try and post pictures when possible.

Thanks guys for all your support and inputs
Could any of my learned enthusiast friends on this forum tell me what the correct idle speed for a W124 E250 Diesel ought to be ? My 1996 car idles at about 600 rpm and I'm not sure if it is lower than specification. Replies would be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks