Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 20:26   #61
BHPian

Re: Maintenance Costs of Diesel Swift v. Petrol Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Can you please tell me what is the "sealant" when we changed the gear box oil in my friends swift we didn't change this. Please tell me what exactly this is and where is it found.
Hi Brother,
The sealant is a M-Seal type of compound. It is somewhat similar to the compound we use in water pipe fittings to avoid leakage of water under excess pressure. This compound is called Suzuki manual transmission sealant bond 121G. This is applied to the plug threads to prevent leakage of gear oil under high pressure and temperature. Most technicians skip this step as the sealant sticks to hands. It stuck to my hand too Very strong and rigid substance. But you cannot do it now. You have to drain the entire gear oil. This sealant is applied to the filler as well as the drainer plug threads. When I had serviced my car at my native place they had skipped this step. I changed gear oil after 5000 kms and applied the compound to the plug threads myself. Not a major issue though but still why take chances?
Old 27th October 2014, 12:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Hi Brother,
The sealant is a M-Seal type of compound. It is somewhat similar to the compound we use in water pipe fittings to avoid leakage of water under excess pressure. This compound is called Suzuki manual transmission sealant bond 121G. This is applied to the plug threads to prevent leakage of gear oil under high pressure and temperature. Most technicians skip this step as the sealant sticks to hands. It stuck to my hand too Very strong and rigid substance. But you cannot do it now. You have to drain the entire gear oil. This sealant is applied to the filler as well as the drainer plug threads. When I had serviced my car at my native place they had skipped this step. I changed gear oil after 5000 kms and applied the compound to the plug threads myself. Not a major issue though but still why take chances?
You are talking about the oil sump gasket ? I don't think the drain bolt needs any silicon gasket.
Also if I am not mistaken then the Swift has an Allen key magnetic drain bolt.
As a practice I change the drain bolt on every gear box oil change to prevent any issues.

I understand using a very tiny amount of anti seize compound on the bolts but a Gasket maker?
Isn't using this silicon gasket maker on the bolts dangerous? what if this stuff goes into the gear box? I also have concerns about bolt not coming off after using this?
Attached Thumbnails
Maintenance Costs of Diesel Swift v. Petrol Swift-drain-bolts.jpg  

Old 27th October 2014, 13:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
You are talking about the oil sump gasket ? I don't think the drain bolt needs any silicon gasket.
Also if I am not mistaken then the Swift has an Allen key magnetic drain bolt.
As a practice I change the drain bolt on every gear box oil change to prevent any issues.

I understand using a very tiny amount of anti seize compound on the bolts but a Gasket maker?
Isn't using this silicon gasket maker on the bolts dangerous? what if this stuff goes into the gear box? I also have concerns about bolt not coming off after using this?
Yes, you are right. The stuff may contaminate the gear box oil. I should have thought about it then. The drain bolt change during every gear box oil change is the best practice. I will be changing the gear oil again this week because they have put 80w90 gear oil and I will be changing it soon. No the gear box bolt will not come off unless you hit something. Maybe after the gear oil change we can use some M-Seal sort of stuff to be extra sure.
Old 24th December 2015, 11:01   #64
BHPian

Guys, what is the gear oil change interval for the swift petrol zxi?
Also, what is the recommended gear oil grade?

Most Viewed