Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 06:59   #46
BHPian

ok done 800 kms total with the full tank, with lot of driving at 100- 110 kmph speeds, did not notice the smoke issue till now. Total done 18000km
Old 29th August 2008, 11:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Not neccessarily. e.g. Fiesta owners manual reccommends speed(91 octane) with systemG.
Rohan,

Here the discussion is about Diesel fuel and Additives for Diesel. Hence it is System D and Not G. D for diesel and G for Gasoline.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
and adding that to the fuel- roughly 2Rs/km- takes it to a grand total of 2.50Rs per kilometer. not bad eh?

The spreadsheet, I got off team bhp. I dont remember the author, but it is very useful, and encourages me to drive decently once in a while.
bang on ! the fuel efficiency you are getting (19.8 kmpl) is exactly what I am getting, with A/C on as I wish, not ripping , but using that torque to get my thrills and of course on upgraded rubber .
But wish it rattled less and dented even less ! So as a stop gap I have reduced the tyre pressures to 33 in front and 32 at the back, definitely rides better now.
running cost at that fuel efficiency is now 1.75 per km, since I am paying 34.45 or 35 bucks for a litre of diesel.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance Costs of Diesel Swift v. Petrol Swift

Hi Folks,
Last night, I was having a conversation with my Dad about car upgrades, and, enamoured by stories of stonking diesel engines which abound on TBHP, I mentioned to him that my next car, whch I plan to purchase in another years time, shall be a Diesel. Probably a Swift D.
Now, my Dad drives a petrol Swift, and he told me that given my monthly running of around 900-1000kms, I should not be looking at diesel, and a petrol swift should work better for me. Of course, I was aware of this, but then I told him about the magic word 'torque'. Now my Dad is decently knowledgable about cars, and he what he told me next was that the maintenance costs, meaning the repair costs (in case there is some mechanical problem with the engine, parts etc.) is way higher than petrol, and that a diesel swift would be much more expensive to maintain than a petrol Swift. The discussion somewhat dampened my spirits.

My question therefore is: Is it true that a diesel engince would be much more expensive to maintain than their petrol counterparts? Take the Swift and Getz as examples, since I would be making a purchase in this segment for my immediate upgrade. Inputs from Swift Diesel owners would be very welcome!

Also, an associated question is: Is the fun of driving a Petrol Swift very much diluted as compared to a DDiS? I am aware of the different natures of the engines, one being high revving and the other kick-in-the pants turbo. Both should offer different kinds of great performance right??

Thanks,
Arindam.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th May 2009 at 10:19.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:33   #50
BHPian

i cant comment on the maintenance costs of a swift P vs swift D but can certain say that the fun of driving a ddis is certainly more than a petrol swift. i know its a question of personal liking but after driving my vdi when ever i get into a petrol car i look for the same boost around the 2000k mark. it is very addictive!
cost wise also i guess with 1000kms a month, the difference shouldnt be much.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:24   #51
Team-BHP Support

Have 30k kms done Swift P & D as sample, apart from filter price difference (air, oil & diesel, rest of maintenance so far seem to be same. So every 20,000 kms you will spend around 1000 bucks more to petrol.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

How do you compare the driving experience? I have driven the Swift P quite a bit, but not the diesel. I do love high revving engines, but what exactly happens in a diesel? Does the lower redline mean that high revving is not at all possible? Or does it mean that at the redline, the diesel engive is already revving high. Bit confused here.
Old 12th May 2009, 13:52   #53
BHPian

I reckon he decided not to stick around so as not to justify his opinion. Had he stayed, maybe his claim would have become partly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In that case i guess if he joins he will be really shocked to see how wrong he is
Old 12th May 2009, 14:26   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
How do you compare the driving experience? I have driven the Swift P quite a bit, but not the diesel. I do love high revving engines, but what exactly happens in a diesel? Does the lower redline mean that high revving is not at all possible? Or does it mean that at the redline, the diesel engive is already revving high. Bit confused here.
diesel doesnt need red lining for power to come, so its much peppier and easier to use in a city and under normal drives. While overtaking also its good fun, but yes it has only 1500 rpm range where it produces usable torque and power, revving it to anything more than 4k rpm is a waste. Only place you will miss a high reving petrol is when you are in a drag mode and would like to do some overrevs and shift gears.

Yes max rpm also is less is a diesel compared to petrol cars.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have 30k kms done Swift P & D as sample, apart from filter price difference (air, oil & diesel, rest of maintenance so far seem to be same. So every 20,000 kms you will spend around 1000 bucks more to petrol.
Does this mean that the running cost is quite comparable in both the P & D. ?
So does this justify the extra initial premium paid for diesel considering the ownership experience is quite pleasurable in the diesel.
Also do you still consider the old calculation method of cost recovery via number of kilometers run in a month?

Is this generation of Quadrajet, DDIS, Multijet, VGT, Diesel the "New petrol"?
Old 12th May 2009, 16:48   #56
BHPian

I am not adding maintenance costs here. But if you are talking about just fuel costs, as I had mentioned in another thread,

A petrol gives around 12kmpl whereas a DDiS gives around 18kmpl.

So difference in price - 78025.99

Recovery - Rs 4.167 - Rs. 1.94 per km = Rs. 2.227 per km

So total recovery in just about - 35000 km!

Thats pretty good i guess. Even for people who cover 10k per year this is good.
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:28   #57
Max
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2010 at 21:42.
Max is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2014, 11:50   #58
BHPian

Re: Maintenance Costs of Diesel Swift v. Petrol Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Hi Jaggu,

I recently changed the gear oil and engine oil, as a voluntary measure. I was billed Rs.525 for engine oil (Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40 - 3 litres) and Rs.348 for Gear oil (90EP - 2.6 litres)

Though the engine oil price is pretty close to your statement, gear oil pricing is too low in my case. Is that the A** used a wrong spec gear oil in my Swift D ?

- Karthik.
Same here, Brother. Many years ago they had put crap relstar gear oil in my swift diesel. I had changed to Castrol api gl4 80w90. I did this from a good garage near my home. They must put sealant after every gear oil change.
Old 25th October 2014, 14:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
They must put sealant after every gear oil change.
Can you please tell me what is the "sealant" when we changed the gear box oil in my friends swift we didn't change this. Please tell me what exactly this is and where is it found.
Old 25th October 2014, 15:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

I would not touch a petrol Swift if I could buy a diesel one. I have one since 1 lakh 3 thousand kilometers now and my next buy is a Swift D too and at any point in life, I will own atleast one Swift Diesel in the house. The mileage, the fun to drive factor and of course the cheap maruti spares, life can't get much better.

Imagine this, I am in Junagadh now, I filled up in Mumbai, refilled the tank again in Junagadh when it was on E, the trip cost me 2500 worth of diesel, for 900 kilometers. What more can you ever want ?

Not to mention, at highway speeds, you are always in the torque band. Slam the accelerator and you might just end up overtaking 2 to 3 more vehicles more than what you actually intended to.

If fun to drive factor with a cheaper fuel and brilliant mileage is the idea, look no further.

Most Viewed