Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 07:38   #31
BHPian

I was using premium deisel then switched to normal one. My question is on a bigger picture, is it a problem all the swift VDi's after 15K kms. As I have a friend who has done 15K in 2 yrs he also has the same problem he has been using normal fuel. It was ok all this while only after 15K the smoking problem started
Old 18th August 2008, 07:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

I used Premium diesel below 10K km and almost all the time I did experience white smoke with drop in acceleration when I floored the accelerator. I then stopped using premium diesel and have used System-D fuel additive instead. System-D has given me good results.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:04   #33
BHPian

Sameer,

I havent seen so much of smoke from my Swifdy so far.
I have run 21K in less than a year and never used premium fuels (not even once).

+Rocky_Balboa+
Old 18th August 2008, 16:11   #34
BHPian

I have tried using the System D now I am going to change my air filter and check, I doubt whether the service station has ever changed the air filter in the first 3 free services.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

You may give it a try, but unless you are driving in REALLY dusty conditions, an air filter change is not required before at least 15k to 20k kms.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:55   #36
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You may give it a try, but unless you are driving in REALLY dusty conditions, an air filter change is not required before at least 15k to 20k kms.
I'm not so sure eddy. Cochin is not a very dusty place, and the roads are decent around here(except for the last 2 weeks) I remember being horrified at the sight of my air filter when I took out at 7000kms.. the clouds of dust released just by swinging it against a coconut tree was enough to choke me(No, I'm not asthmatic)

also, after that simple "cleaning effort" the engine sounded so much better. it does make a difference. One wouldnt know unless one tried it.

Changing the stock air filter, is easy even with the most rudimentary tools and skills(I'm a case in point) and its not a costly affair either. it will repay itself in lower fuel bills and smoother running engine over 5000kms itself.

Old 19th August 2008, 10:30   #37
BANNED

I had same problem in my Zen Vxi. Water used to come from small gap between rear right hand side tail light and Body, Get it properly packed.

Last edited by nicejits : 19th August 2008 at 10:43.
Old 19th August 2008, 10:53   #38
Team-BHP Support

@Ripper: I got mine cleaned at 10k or 15k i don't remember. Got it changed at 20k. Yes, cleaning would help. But have no experience of replacing it before that.
Old 19th August 2008, 11:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Guys, My VDI has done 17K kms in 8 months and I can see black smoke from the exhaust at least 2wice a week it is so bad that I can't see the road behind me. My thrid service is over and the next is due in 20K kms. I had personallu cleaned my air filter at 15K kms.
Has any body faced a similar problem with the VDI, and what was doen to rectify the same.
Had a similar problem - check your turbo intercooler hose. There was an issue with this in some swifts. The turbo effect was poor as well. After changing the hose under warranty all is well!
Mahesh
Old 19th August 2008, 21:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Eddy ,
we do live in a country where most rural and even urban areas are quite dusty. A simple cleaning periodically by blowing air at your regular road side tyre repair shop. Should do the trick.
But in most cases the thing gets so clogged that the air cleaning no longer is that effective and most paper pores are blocked.
So though the car manual gives the interval as 15k -20 k , you would have done your wallet and the car engine great favor by changing it before that and also by regularly having it cleaned.
BESIDES IN MOST Cars the stock paper air filter is quite inexpensive to replace.
The engine breathes better and this leads to better FE actually and the free engine would even be good for clutch longevity.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:04   #41
Team-BHP Support

Point taken friends.
Old 20th August 2008, 21:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshshanmugam View Post
Had a similar problem - check your turbo intercooler hose. There was an issue with this in some swifts. The turbo effect was poor as well. After changing the hose under warranty all is well!
Mahesh
I some what agree with you a friend of mine faced the same issue and he is getting it replaced since the service station did not ahve it they have used duc tape at the moment. But his is a 2 yr old swift.

As for me I have changed the airfilter total 280Rs got it done from Indus, filled up HP tourbojet so far no issues on the smoke front but will comment after going thru the whole of next week. Current Kms 17300.

I guess in swift the airfilter gets cloggy fast due to the air intake position in the front.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:19   #43
BHPian

I have put a tank full of tourbojet + 40 ml of systemD + changed the air filter before the premium fuel full tank. done 200+ kms till now the smoke issue is not there yet. Will come to know during my long drive day after tomorrow.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

Isn't turbojet premium diesel ? System D is supposed to be used with normal fuel.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't turbojet premium diesel ? System D is supposed to be used with normal fuel.
Not neccessarily. e.g. Fiesta owners manual reccommends speed(91 octane) with systemG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks