Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 23:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

park in auto transmission

Hi,

recently my friend told me that his mech says hand brake needs to be engaged when car is in park. It did make sense to me because if there is an incline, the force is opposed by the "park" selection of the transmission. and it can lead to stressed transmission.

my questions is, how big a deal is it? I almost always use only "park" setting in the gear selector.
Old 7th August 2008, 00:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Do you park your car on an incline?

If yes, I think using BOTH is a good idea..

If not, I dont thing using park will be too damaging...

I should be as strenuous as leaving a manual car in first gear when parking..
Old 7th August 2008, 01:04   #48
Team-BHP Support

Vivek,

Always use BOTH. The handbrake is a backup brake and will be a failsafe in case the gears dont hold the car.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2008 at 01:16.
Old 7th August 2008, 01:09   #49
BHPian

AbhiJ : could be little off topic, but we do leave cars in gears in manual transmission na? isn't this safe(you mentioned it might be strenuous, gears can take this strain right, which is quiet little than the force from the engine) to do this hand brakes might not protect to that extent right esp in incline.
Old 7th August 2008, 01:15   #50
Team-BHP Support

Please see this for the general discussion on parking on an incline / slope : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...k-incline.html

This thread has been merged with the "Tips for driving an automatic" thread.

cya
R
Old 7th August 2008, 01:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
AbhiJ : could be little off topic, but we do leave cars in gears in manual transmission na? isn't this safe(you mentioned it might be strenuous, gears can take this strain right, which is quiet little than the force from the engine) to do this hand brakes might not protect to that extent right esp in incline.
in that case, if the incline is too much, the car will roll down rolling the engine.

in case of automatics, park is a gear lock. if the incline is unbearable, it will break the transmission (and what not).
Old 7th August 2008, 02:01   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Handbrake on first.

Let the brake take the strain; the bits are considerably cheaper.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Make a habit of using handbrake when parking. A handbrake should be able to keep a car from rolling even on a 30 deg incline. Else, get it serviced.
Old 18th March 2009, 15:16   #54
BHPian

Hi All,
Question about braking - As we know brakes do wear down quicker than MT in an AT so was wondering if using the lower gear (which definately slows down the car because of engine braking) could be used instead of brakes to slow down. Will that affect the transmission / FE in any way?
Currently I use the lower gears only on a steep decline if I need to control the speed - generally leave it in D if I feel I need not control the speed because of the road condition ahead, also needed to know what other conditions can we use the lower gears in?

Regards,
Rishi
Old 18th March 2009, 18:57   #55
BHPian

Lower gears can be used down steep inclines for engine braking. They are also useful for going up steep inclines, especially with heavier loads. Sometimes if the road surface does not offer much traction (snow), then using the lower gears ensures the vehicle does not automatically shift up and is more in your control.
Old 18th March 2009, 19:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishia View Post
so was wondering if using the lower gear (which definately slows down the car because of engine braking) could be used instead of brakes to slow down. Will that affect the transmission / FE in any way?
In my CVT, shifting to S mode on its own does not produce much of engine braking. But with my foot on the brake pedal, a shift to S mode definitely brings down the stop distance considerably. This would indeed be easy on the brake pads.

Effects on transmission / FE, somebody else will have to answer.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:28   #57
BHPian

Handbrakes have the mainly used in temporary stops at signals, in case of emergency and while parking.

the wear n tear due to parking with the hand break pulled is not much and is more safer. cars parked in 1st gear can roll away on a steep incline.

we could all use a stone too if we feel the incline is too steep.

UM
Old 19th March 2009, 12:21   #58
BANNED

A few ideas from one who has owned an AT since 1999. Agreed they have been low end first Zen and now Santro.

1. Cars do have a tendency to 'creep' at idle if in gear. So you have two options - keep the brake pedal pressed, or shift to N. I prefer the latter - more economical for the car.

2. If you are travelling on hills then judiciously use the lower gear settings. Going up it is just a matter of preventing ' hunting' - not critical. Coming down it can be vital. An AT in D disconnects the engine whenever the road speed is lower than the speed of the corresponding engine setting. So coming down you end up riding the brakes all the way. A sure invitation to brake fade. I remember once in France driving a Peugeot Automatic descending a long sloping road, we ended up losing the brakes due to fade and were only saved by going up a country road which happened to show up at the right time! So please use a low ratio (which keeps the engine connected) esp when descending hills.

3. While driving in a relaxed manner you can often induce an upshift by going very light on the throttle for a few moments.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th March 2009 at 12:24.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 12:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. Cars do have a tendency to 'creep' at idle if in gear. So you have two options - keep the brake pedal pressed, or shift to N. I prefer the latter - more economical for the car.

2. If you are travelling on hills then judiciously use the lower gear settings. Going up it is just a matter of preventing ' hunting' - not critical. Coming down it can be vital. An AT in D disconnects the engine whenever the road speed is lower than the speed of the corresponding engine setting. So coming down you end up riding the brakes all the way. A sure invitation to brake fade. I remember once in France driving a Peugeot Automatic descending a long sloping road, we ended up losing the brakes due to fade and were only saved by going up a country road which happened to show up at the right time! So please use a low ratio (which keeps the engine connected) esp when descending hills.

3. While driving in a relaxed manner you can often induce an upshift by going very light on the throttle for a few moments.

this is good stuff ,another quick question since you drive an A/T santro ,the OD (Over drive) thing ,when should that be used ,i have never used the same so far .how does it help driving with the OD mode on?
Old 19th March 2009, 12:58   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Both, surely? One should not be stationery in N without brake --- whether hand or foot.

A friend of mine claimed noticeable savings by changing to N when stationary at signals, etc. I used to do it too, but never calculated the fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks