Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 12:37   #1
BHPian

FIAT Palio 1.2 - Issues

Hello All,

I am starting this thread exclusively to discuss Problem with Fiat Palio. This thread should answer all the querries related to Palio.

To start with I have couple of issue with my Palio. I am looking forward for the answers/solutions from fellow BHPians.

1) I get hear a some kind of Explosions happening in my Engine. What is it.

2) Need to replace Front Wheel Bearing. Which Brand is the best one and the cost. I was quoted the price of 650 each with a local accessory shop (Brand JKB or some thing don't remember exactly).

3) Should change the lighting of the car, Searched foe VisionPlus but could not get that. Phillips Essential Rally H1 100W /12v & H7 80W/12V are currently available. Is it advisable to use they in My Fiat Palio. They say Cutout is not required.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Any upgrade for electricals like more powerful horns and lights (as they will draw more current than stock ones) will need a relay (cut-out).

Is it SKB?
Old 14th September 2009, 14:25   #3
BHPian

Explosions ? Air fuel mixture does burn in the cylinder in a petrol engine on application of spark,but it is a clean burn, i.e it does not burn explosively.

1) If you are hearing it or feeling it, it could be the knocking effect, which causes detonation of air fuel mixture in some pockets. One reaosn could be due to adulterated fuel (having low octane content). There could be others too. It could also happen if you are driving in wrong gears (though very rare) ...

2) It could also be pre-ignition, i.e. fuel air mixture exploding before spark - Happens when areas in the combustion chamber are very hot.

Please take it to a qualified service station to get it checked. Could be carbon deposits causing issue 2.

Last edited by Seeler_Rebeiro : 14th September 2009 at 14:29.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:06   #4
BHPian

Well, explosions from engine mean something wrong with combustion ? Probably get a good premium fuel and try if it reduces.. else try using some octane boosters (few superbikers use these stuff, to increase octane content).. i dont know how much that helps though

How old is your car? If it is too old, may be you need to get the spark plugs cleaned and checked as well. I heard engine decarb helps as well, not sure.

If you are from Hyd, I would suggest visiting Solar Automobiles (balanagar), theres a guy Gangi Reddy, who used to work wid anuroop auto and now has his own FIAT garage... he does a good job and knows wat he is doing. So pay a visit and i hope it helps
Old 16th September 2009, 12:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Praneeth..Please register with the Palio User Group and you can get the best advise.
Also PM Raveendra who owns a GTX and he will guide you.
Cheers
Old 16th September 2009, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Hi Kri$hna,

My car is 7 year old. Please tell me the contact of Mr. Gangi Reddy. i stay near to Balanagar. I will be in Hyderabad for last week of this Month. Will go there for the check up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Well, explosions from engine mean something wrong with combustion ? Probably get a good premium fuel and try if it reduces.. else try using some octane boosters (few superbikers use these stuff, to increase octane content).. i dont know how much that helps though

How old is your car? If it is too old, may be you need to get the spark plugs cleaned and checked as well. I heard engine decarb helps as well, not sure.

If you are from Hyd, I would suggest visiting Solar Automobiles (balanagar), theres a guy Gangi Reddy, who used to work wid anuroop auto and now has his own FIAT garage... he does a good job and knows wat he is doing. So pay a visit and i hope it helps
Old 16th September 2009, 14:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) Explosions happening in my Engine - 7 year old car, but mileage? Think there could be issue of carbon deposits or the pistons itself in bad shape. Believe me all - I have seen the engine of a Palio in front of my eyes being opened - where only three cylinders had been running, the fourth was absolutely shiny new - god knows what the owner/driver was doing with his car. Better get it checked and the fuel which you use.

2) Front Wheel Bearing - SKF is a good brand. But would advise you to get it done at A.S.S. are there are plenty of spurious bearings available in the market - don't get conned while buying one.

3) lighting of the car - I am also in search of the elusive solution to this issue!
Old 17th September 2009, 11:27   #8
BHPian

Hello,

I hear those explosions only the engine is idling, It could some kind of Misfire in engine. If it is how do i correct it.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npraneethreddy View Post
Hello,

I hear those explosions only the engine is idling, It could some kind of Misfire in engine. If it is how do i correct it.
Seems like carbon deposits. Did you ever de-carb your engine ? There is another thread where a guy in Cochin has similar problems. Also injectors may need to be cleaned.
But you do need to quickly take it to a good service center. Do not wait long or the issue may compound. Petrol engines cannot take these explosions unlike diesel engines.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Seems like carbon deposits. Did you ever de-carb your engine ? There is another thread where a guy in Cochin has similar problems. Also injectors may need to be cleaned.
But you do need to quickly take it to a good service center. Do not wait long or the issue may compound. Petrol engines cannot take these explosions unlike diesel engines.
+1.

one of the Injectors maybe faulty. better get it checked before other damages occur. also get the spark plugs cleaned or better replaced if its old, its very cheap.
if you need to replace the injectors do pm me I know a place where you can get good price for palio injectors.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are several workshops and mechanics in Hyderabad who do a good job on Fiats and Palios. I have not tried Solar but have heard several complaints about them, most PUGgers in Hyderabad were going to Solar but have slowly started moving away.

The 'explosion' could be some kind of a misfire, if you have a mechanic in Mumbai - get the spark plugs checked and replaced if necessary, also have the plug leads checked and replaced if necessary. If it is a kind of a booming noise it is probably pre-ignition due to engine being in advance or carbon deposits. A choked air filter too could cause some booming noises.

If you are planning to drive the car to Hyderabad from Mumbai, I suggest you add 1 ml to 2 ml of 2t oil to every litre of petrol in the tank just before you get onto the expressway (i.e. about 50 ml of oil to a tankful of petrol). Drive normally and keep varying the engine speeds. Refuel with regular petrol thereafter and most of the carbon deposits will be flushed out by the time you reach Hyderabad. Once you reach Hyderabad please contact Srinivas (contact info sent in PM).

If you do not want to fit a cut out stick to either Philips X-treme Power or Osram Nightbreakers (not the Vision series from Philips). Higher wattage bulbs will require a cut-out (relay).

Ask your mechanic to source the wheel bearings for you. There are several good brands (and a few bad ones). Most good mechanics can spot a bad bearing by look/feel. Ideally buy all parts from a reliable shop who does not deal with spurious/re-conditioned parts.

Cheers,
Old 17th September 2009, 14:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
@Praneeth..Please register with the Palio User Group and you can get the best advise.
Also PM Raveendra who owns a GTX and he will guide you.
Cheers
+1 to that. There is vast amount of knowledge about this car in that group.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There are several workshops and mechanics in Hyderabad who do a good job on Fiats and Palios. I have not tried Solar but have heard several complaints about them, most PUGgers in Hyderabad were going to Solar but have slowly started moving away.

The 'explosion' could be some kind of a misfire, if you have a mechanic in Mumbai - get the spark plugs checked and replaced if necessary, also have the plug leads checked and replaced if necessary. If it is a kind of a booming noise it is probably pre-ignition due to engine being in advance or carbon deposits. A choked air filter too could cause some booming noises.

If you are planning to drive the car to Hyderabad from Mumbai, I suggest you add 1 ml to 2 ml of 2t oil to every litre of petrol in the tank just before you get onto the expressway (i.e. about 50 ml of oil to a tankful of petrol). Drive normally and keep varying the engine speeds. Refuel with regular petrol thereafter and most of the carbon deposits will be flushed out by the time you reach Hyderabad. Once you reach Hyderabad please contact Srinivas (contact info sent in PM).

If you do not want to fit a cut out stick to either Philips X-treme Power or Osram Nightbreakers (not the Vision series from Philips). Higher wattage bulbs will require a cut-out (relay).

Ask your mechanic to source the wheel bearings for you. There are several good brands (and a few bad ones). Most good mechanics can spot a bad bearing by look/feel. Ideally buy all parts from a reliable shop who does not deal with spurious/re-conditioned parts.

Cheers,
I too agree with this method. It is a good trial and if your problem is set, then decarb again wud not be required, praneeth.

BTW, Nightbreakers have a very good spread and throw. It is of the same wattage, but more powerful. It is expensive at abt 1300 a pair. I got myself a pair of Flosser silver tip bulbs of 70w each for the low beam . and 90w phillips for the high beam. I dont normally use high beam and hence didnt change the relay till recently.

You can manage without relay if you dont tend to use the high beam becoz the existing relay/fuse is designed to handle more than the stock setup. It didnt give me any problem. But i suggest nightbreakers if you dont want to use relay.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:08   #14
BHPian

guys, my palio's internal RVM came off from the glass. Seems like Fiat glued the triangular metal plate.
Plz tell me how I can stick it back to the front windscreen.
BTW nothing is broken. and Feviquick doesn't work. I tried
Old 17th September 2009, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
guys, my palio's internal RVM came off from the glass. Seems like Fiat glued the triangular metal plate.
Plz tell me how I can stick it back to the front windscreen.
BTW nothing is broken. and Feviquick doesn't work. I tried
How did you manage that!? There is a limit to being naughty in a car.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks