Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 21:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Please do not touch the plumbing unless absolutely necessary.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It suits well in case of turbo chargers.

They are practically maintainance free with auto lubrication.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:05   #47
BHPian

The turbo on my indigo ( without IC ) would invariably kick in at about 75/80 km/hr on overdrive. It would kick in early in higher gears if you would CARE TO step on the gas.
Now after 2 consecutive fills on a HP outlet , that turbo boost wouldnt come at the same rpm. Was i imagining that that the motor had a higher NVH ? I was worried that the turbo had suffered damage , though i do take utmost precaution as far as engine ( & TURBO ) lubrication on cold starts & motor cut offs is concerned. Also i use a higher grade engine oil than the OE chart and also change the oil every 5 k km.
BUT IT Never occured to me that the fuel could be bad as the bunk was good.
On filling extramile at a IOC bunk , the motor is smooth once again , turbo kicks in at about the same time.
Now it just occured to me that i greedy mechanic could have offered to ' SERVICE ' the turbo had i gone with a complain about turbo lag or anamoly.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 19th November 2009 at 15:07.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:22   #48
BHPian

Cost of Turbo Cleaning

An authorized center for TEL charges only 600 bucks for turbo cleaning/servicing, so its surprising that MUL service is charging 2.2k.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:22   #49
BHPian

If i am right most of the worlds turbos are manufactured by Bosch and i am pretty sure this many not be the only engine using this model of turbo. Also this engine is with fiat for a while now and failures if any would have been ironed out.

That said i have checked with my friend who has a fiat punto with 1.3 multijet. This has crossed 95K+ miles (yes miles roughly 1,53,000 Kilometres) and still running good. Never any turbo issue or anything else...

My advise is stay clear of doing anything in the engine other than changing oil, filters and plugs...

Last edited by ksethuram : 19th November 2009 at 16:39.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:11   #50
BHPian

@ BHP,

The oil could get black immediately IMHO if the engine is really dirty . Otherwise most times it'll be little clear with traces of black for the first few days and could turn black in a few hundred kms. Atleast thats been my experience on the 3 diesel cars i owned ( UNO 149000KM /INDICA 25500 KM/ INDIGO 37500 KM).
It may get dirty quicker in a high mileage car , but i feel a 25000km run swift ddis, oil getting black in 3 km , doesnt feel right. It ought to colour slowly till in a couple of hundred km it may turn reasonably black.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:35   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
The oil could get black immediately IMHO if the engine is really dirty .
========
It ought to colour slowly till in a couple of hundred km it may turn reasonably black.
I have seen the same in my car and posted picture also. It takes about 200 + kms under normal city drive for color to really change dark grey kinds.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:41   #52
bhp
BHPian

In this case i doubt if they really changed the engine oil..i have been servicing all my maruti cars from this service station since more then 10 yrs but never ever faced something like this earlier..

It takes around 100-200 kms for color change of engine oil as to wat i know..

i have e-mailed these queries to the maruti technical department as well today.

now i feel that this reputed and one of the best service stations in mumbai is taking everyone for a ride.

OT:- they charge 1000 /- rs + taxes for brake cleaning front and rear for a swift whereas i pay 250/- rs + taxes for a honda city vtec which has disc brakes on all.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:57   #53
BHPian

This is off topic , but now that its mentioned .....I hope i am wrong , but i sincerely feel that MUL has become too arrogant and not so reliable any more. It shows in the attitudes of their salemen , the pricing and discount structure of the vehicles. And also in the general service station experience and service costs as discussed by various bhpians.
Old 19th November 2009, 21:35   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
If i am right most of the worlds turbos are manufactured by Bosch and i am pretty sure this many not be the only engine using this model of turbo.
Bosch makes turbos ? AFAIK, the turbos running in most cars are from IHI/Garrett/KKK. Bosch/Denso/Delphi make ECUs, sensors and other electrical components for most cars in India.
Old 20th November 2009, 07:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
If i am right most of the worlds turbos are manufactured by Bosch and i am pretty sure this many not be the only engine using this model of turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motophsyco View Post
Bosch makes turbos ? AFAIK, the turbos running in most cars are from IHI/Garrett/KKK. Bosch/Denso/Delphi make ECUs, sensors and other electrical components for most cars in India.
Apart from the companies named above, you also have Holcett ( part of CumminInc) another major Turbo manufacturer worldwide
Old 20th November 2009, 07:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

I think its Holset
And add Borg-Warner, Schwitzer, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, CZ, Toyota etc
Old 24th November 2009, 17:15   #57
bhp
BHPian

update

I had emailed maruti regarding the turbo cleaning issue last week.

Today i got a call from the vitesse service station (the place where i service my car from) and they mentioned that turbo cleaning is not compulsary/necessary at all. If incase there is any problem with the turbo there will be an malfunction indicator on the dashboard and then it will be looked upon.

Last edited by bhp : 24th November 2009 at 17:17.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:56   #58
bhp
BHPian

email from vitesse

This is a email attachment i got from vitesse.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-scan0014.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 18:42   #59
BHPian

Taken for a ride.

I can vouch that lakhs of Indians are being taken for a royal ride by many of the dealers of various brands in India. Carry out service procedures that are mentioned in the service book. Ask them to show you in the service book or works manual any uncalled for services that they intend carrying out.

Where in any cars service book is it mentioned about brake cleaning. Ballderdash. It is against physics or logic to clean the brake pads or discs or even the rear brake drums. The heights is that they score / scratch the brake discs, pads, drums with sand paper which is an absolute no no. If at all he wants to clean; the drum can be cleaned with an ultra soft brush or cloth.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:33   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
This is a email attachment i got from vitesse.
LOL... MUL Servive centre quotes expert opinion on t-bhp website. Makes us really proud.
Quote:
I had emailed maruti regarding the turbo cleaning issue last week...and they mentioned that turbo cleaning is not compulsary/necessary at all.
T-bhp experts rule again. Hats off to us...
Quote:
In this case i doubt if they really changed the engine oil
OT:- they charge 1000 /- rs + taxes for brake cleaning front and rear for a swift whereas i pay 250/- rs + taxes for a honda city vtec which has disc brakes on all.
Standard operating procedure in at least 75% of all authorised service centres is to shortchange customers on quantity of replaced. Fill in 3 litres, don't drain 1 litre, charge the customer for 4 litres. Barely detectable in a petrol engine, but it shows as a dirty oil on the dipstick in a diesel.

Therefore I always make sure to lift up the dipstick and check both colour and level as soon as my car is given back to me at the service station. Make it a habit, I'd say, esp. for all diesels.

As to the brakes, whether Maruti or Honda, please ask them to leave everything well alone, except to clean with a high-pressure air jet to blow away the dust. Opening up the brakes is merited only in case they malfunction, or feel less than effective suddenly, or the wear indicator starts to squeal.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 24th November 2009 at 19:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks