Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 21:31   #61
BHPian

about being taken for a ride , how about Tata Indigo manual stating 5.5 lit s as the quantity of engine oil being needed in diesel indigo.
As in fact it takes a little less than a full five lit. for the oil to reach the max. mark of the dipstick.
I wonder whether the remaining > 1/2 lit goes into the TASS owner's children's pension plan ?
I read somewhere on the forum that the Tata QJD supposedly takes about 1/2 lit. more than the same for the Swift DDIS . Have Tata's substituted the oil sump on the quadrajet engine with a slightly larger one ?
What if the additional oil if at all they are actually putting it causes clutch / turbo failure ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 24th November 2009 at 21:32.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. While putting new bolts on the intercooler bracket of my Indigo marina (someone put short some and the two longer ones broke) I noticed something on the turbocharger unit. It looks like a valve on the exhaust side vanes which is connected with a long rod (that can be adjusted) to a vacumn switch which I think is actuated by the pressure on the inlet side of the turbo. Can anyone tell me what exactly is this, the principle and how do I tell if it's working or if it is stuck?
regards
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-image023.jpg  

Old 20th March 2010, 00:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

I'm extremely sorry because in the previous post I think I should have mentioned "pressure activated diaphragm " instead of "vacumn switch"
Also is that valve a wastegate? and if it's stuck how do I free it? Also anyway that I can figure out which position it's stuck in?

Also the oil you notice on the turbo was applied by me. Just incase it gives the impression of a leakage.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 20th March 2010 at 00:41.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Also is that valve a wastegate? and if it's stuck how do I free it? Also anyway that I can figure out which position it's stuck in?
Yes, looks very much like the waste-gate on your turbo. If you want to know if it has been calibrated correctly you'd need a boost gauge. If you want to just verify if it's working, try revving the engine to the rev-limit, if the boost is high enough (somewhere along the way) the waste-gate should activate...

Last edited by im_srini : 22nd March 2010 at 12:02.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

that is indeed a waste gate actuator, it actuates depending on the boost pressure settings, usually it is set in a range from 1.5-2.2 bar

Spike
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that for Scorpio, you're supposed to 'idle' the engine just after starting and also just before switching off. Otherwise you'll ruin the turbo very soon it seems. How will idling engine 'save' the turbo?
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...te-idling.html
here you go
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Btw, I found out that my indica/indigos use the same KP35 turbo. most of them run up very high mileages, no issues so far
Indica / Indigo use KP35, are you sure? Do you have a picture of the Turbo?
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
nope, didnt check the actual thing, but the same was posted here, and google tells the same thing

btw, the KP35 is only for the TC/TCIC models. The dicor uses another (GT1241SZ ?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ta-indigo.html
Old 25th March 2010, 18:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nope, didnt check the actual thing, but the same was posted here, and google tells the same thing

btw, the KP35 is only for the TC/TCIC models. The dicor uses another (GT1241SZ ?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ta-indigo.html
FYI Sir,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1803211
Old 26th March 2010, 01:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yep. How come you ask. you have a indigo with a bad turbo?
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars-kp35-large.jpg  

Old 26th March 2010, 17:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks greenhorn, I have continued posting in the new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabhishek View Post
Another problems with service centre I came to know is always they say for accent crdi they require 5L Oil and charge for the same. But to my surprise this mechanic said only 3.5 to 4 L Oil is sufficient and after draining all the oil and the filter. He filled the oil before me and showed me the level is full on the oil strip.
Regards
Abhishek
I have seen mechanics start and idle the engine for some time after filling the engine oil, and fill again if the level goes down. Was this done?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 26th March 2010 at 17:16.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Yep. How come you ask. you have a indigo with a bad turbo?
Regards
@deutscheafrikar: I have a Indigo close to 100K kms with a good turbo .

BTW, your figure depiction of the TC is again a K03/K04 type. The KP35 ones are smaller and look different.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

Are there any aftermarket turbos available for hyundai accent CRDi? i am facing turbo failure again.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:18   #75
BHPian

Re: Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

There is an oil leak in the turbo in my Fiesta TDCi, it has clocked 65K kms. It started as a minor leak 4 months back, one drop every 2-3 days. I initially didn't know where the oil leak is coming from, took it to FASS, they told it is the steering fluid and the leak is minor so no need to fix anything.

It made sense as the steering fliuid level was not going down. Last month I checked the engine oil level, it was just about 2 litres, I immediately topped up the oil. Last week the leak started to get worse, 2-3 drops every day. The oil leak was directly below the steering fluid hose pipe. Took it to FASS, they checked the steering fluid level and told there is nothing to worry about.

I took it home and checked the engine oil, there was a slight dip in the oil level. Now I got convinced it is the engine oil which is leaking, but from where? Then I checked the engine bay and found there is a slight seeping of oil from the turbo, which is directly above the steering fluid hose pipe. The next morning I put my hand under the turbo, I found a drop of oil sticking in my fingers. At that stage I didn't know that is the turbo.

Took it to the FASS this morning, and told oil is leaking from THIS place and not the steering hose. The supervisor sent a mechanic, he just looked at that part for sometime (there was a slight oil seepage). I asked him what it is, he just went to the spervisor said a few things and left. Then I asked the supervisor what it is, he told it is the turbo and though the oil leak is not big, it will start like this and will get worse. I asked him how will you fix it, he told that they have to remove it and see whether it can be fixed or else it has to be replaced. And the cost would be 15K.

I was like . Should the turbo be changed completely for an oil leak? Can't the part be replaced or something. I googled and found that the turbo used in fiesta is KP35. Anyway I have left my vehicle there and let them do their analysis. Am I being ripped off, or is this the only way to fix it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks