Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 17:31   #1
bhp
BHPian

Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

Yesterday my swift DDIS came back from a 25k kms servicing from vitesse andheri (w).

I was informed by the service advisor that they will do turbo charger cleaning during the cars 30k kms service..he mentioned that maruti recommends this at the 30k kms schedule where as i couldnt find the same mentioned in the manual.

The charges he mentioned was 2200 rs + taxes and it will take one full day for this work..

I have owned a diesel indigo marina earlier and never ever had its turbo-charger cleaned or serviced in its 50k kms that i owned neither the service advisors at TATA advised me too.

A couple of my friends also own innovas and they have neither got this work done though some of them have clocked more 100k kms and their cars are always maintained by the toyota service stations strictly.

So i was curious to know if turbo-chargers really need cleaning at such low kms or its just the service station that wants to fool customers.

Any bhpians who have got this service done specially on the swift DDIS ????

OT :- after how many kms does the engine oil get black after replacement. in my case yesterday it got black just after running for 3 kms
Old 11th November 2009, 17:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

He is taking you for a royal ride. Unless its mentioned in manual its not needed.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:45   #3
bhp
BHPian

nothing about the turbocharger is mentioned in the manual.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

The dudes at Maruti are takign all for a ride; have seen them getting it done for two of my friends.

Dont let them touch it and ask them to show where its written.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post

I was informed by the service advisor that they will do turbo charger cleaning during the cars 30k kms service.

OT :- after how many kms does the engine oil get black after replacement. in my case yesterday it got black just after running for 3 kms

Well servicing is nothing but cleaning all the parts of the turbo, It can be a advantage to you though it is not mandatory, since a clean turbo can run for many years.

Regarding the engine oil getting black, it should become black as soon as you run your engine even for a shorter distance, It is an indication that your engine is utilizing the oil properly and in all cars oil becomes black because of the high temperatures near the cylinders in the engine, And remember to change your oil regularly when as looses its viscosity (Stickiness) under normal running..

There are on many threads on engine oils, please go through them..
Old 11th November 2009, 18:07   #6
BHPian

Turbo cleaning is done when there is oil being thrown by the turbo & black smoke is emitted by the car.
However something like this happens after the car has crunched huge no. of km. We used to get it done for our old Tavera after it had clocked close to 3.5L km. However it used to be hardly an hours job at the workshop & they almost never charged us for the same.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp
I was informed by the service advisor that they will do turbo charger cleaning during the cars 30k kms service
I dont know whether to laugh or cry, man.
This is absolute bovine manure!
Old 11th November 2009, 22:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

My 30k service was 1109 bucks - only for the oil + fuel filter change

That turbo cleaning is hogwash. The manual is god
Old 11th November 2009, 22:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Turbocharger cleaning? Never heard of it. Balderdash.

What next? Clean the exhaust pipe with a bottle brush every evening?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th November 2009 at 22:56.
Old 12th November 2009, 00:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I was informed by the service advisor that they will do turbo charger cleaning during the cars 30k kms service..he mentioned that maruti recommends this at the 30k kms schedule where as i couldnt find the same mentioned in the manual.

The charges he mentioned was 2200 rs + taxes and it will take one full day for this work..
(only two allowed)

However, please do check with Maruti. Ask Maruti to confirm whether such service is required.

Only saving grace is that they intend to collect and pay taxes on it!

Cheers,
Old 12th November 2009, 00:52   #11
BHPian

Ask the service advisor to take a long walk instead of taking you for a ride.
Old 12th November 2009, 05:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rofl @ turbo cleaning. DONT LET THEM TOUCH ANYTHING IN AND AROUND THE TURBO except maybe cleaning the intercooler for which they charge 250 or 300 bucks

They have a very bad habit of ruining 5 other things when they try to better one!
Old 12th November 2009, 06:25   #13
BHPian

Hey Bhp,

Apart from keeping a distance from them, they will definitely have not updated Maruti's central database of service history with the work done on your car.

Maruti dealers/MASS/Service stations have a central database where they keep a record of your car's service history.

It is very obvious that if they are going to touch the turbo which does not require any "servicing" its either assembled at the factory or disassembled at the scrap yard. There is no service until its a VGT (variable geometry turbo), Which the swift does not have.

Additionally if they will "bill" you for the turbo service, they most definitely will not have maruti udyog knowing of this. Thereby its highly likely that they have not updated your service history on the Maruti database.

How to check ? Go to another dealer, show them the service history/ bills of previous service and check your car's service history. If your regular service guy is honest it will be there, but assuredly there is no such thing as a fixed geometry turbo service.

Our cars have crossed 1.8 lakhs and another 1.6 lakhs km both turbo diesels. Never remember any servicing activity of the turbos. Its either cleaning which is a routine activity but then the pressures and temperatures are enough to dislodge soot/carbon. Anyways the bearings are specially press fitted with the oil louvers around it.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 12th November 2009 at 06:27.
Old 12th November 2009, 06:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
There is no service until its a VGT (variable geometry turbo)
So a VGT does need a service? What is it that would have to done, when, and why??
Old 12th November 2009, 07:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
So a VGT does need a service? What is it that would have to done, when, and why??
Generally A VGT is a fit it-forget-it part, however with the VGT there is max to max a clean up on the intake side or if the vane guides/stems have become jammed it may need a bit of freeing up.

Nevertheless, it's a different topic, however, no one does "maintenance" of the VGT, if its malfunctioning its replaced, rather advised to replace.

Most Viewed