Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 16:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

The good thing about Tata here is that if your clutch is hard they will replace it under warranty, even if its extended warranty. The only catch is that the clutch plate should not be worn out, then you have to pay for the clutch.
My safari had a hard clutch around 20K. They opened it up, and plates were fine, so rather than fix things here and there, the entire clutch assembly got changed.
However, the SA told me that there have been cases in cars done just 1000kms where warranty was denied because the clutch plate was "burnt", which is clear driver error, eg driving with handbrake on.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2009, 16:48   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think I fell for this scam during my 800's 35K service at Maruti Service Masters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
The same happened with me when i went for 4th service at 18000 km at a new Maruti Dealer Service Cente
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
One of the Maruthi Dealer suggested that my Zen needs a clutch overhaul and the cost including labour charges would be Rs.3600 - Rs.4000. My car had done only 17,000Kms then and the only problem I faced is a hard clutch. My mechanic came to my home and did a test drive, he purchased a clutch cable assembly and replaced it. My car has done 47,000Kms till now and the clutch is fine.
See what I mean? We have members who have been quoted a clutch overhaul as low as 17K kms! When the fact is, their clutch had not really worn out and had a reasonable amount of life left in it.

Not to say, its impossible. If one is a bad driver, you can wear your clutch out even at 12,000 kms. However, with a regular driving style (not riding the clutch), the clutch should last atleast 70,000 kms (if not more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Oh! Yes. There are many many instances I remember. Usually the clutch was a little hard & a cable change was enough or even lubricating the cable settled the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Got the cable replaced for 600 bucks and it was as good as new!
So many of you have brought out the "clutch is hard" syndrome. Absolutely, most times a cable replacement / lubrication job is all thats needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
For my first Indica V2, I was told by TASC at 40K kms that I need a clutch overhaul - and maybe a replacement. I refused and drove the car till about 65K at which point it was sold and the used car dealer was happy to get his hands on a 'well maintained' 'privately owned' Indica!
Good on you to not fall for the clutch overhaul trick, but bad on you to sell the car only at 65K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The good thing about Tata here is that if your clutch is hard they will replace it under warranty, even if its extended warranty.
Hey, they tried to bill me (though I have a 4 year warranty). Just wait till he suggests a new clutch the next time. It will be at HIS cost.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2009, 17:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Good on you to not fall for the clutch overhaul trick, but bad on you to sell the car only at 65K!
Slightly OT but I couldn't resist the Indica Turbo ads - after one test drive I was convinced to upgrade. I still drive this one and yes, the clutch feels a little hard now!
Old 25th November 2009, 17:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[i]
[*]Under normal driving style & conditions, an OEM clutch should last anywhere between 70,000 - 90,000 kms. Some cars that are frequently driven on the highway even go well over the 1.0 lakh mark on the original clutch.
My Endeavour clutch lasted 1 lakh kms since the car had a good mix of highway and city running.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

My indica turbo sees to have a hard clutch ( apparently, since my friends complain to me about it all the time)
But I seem to have gotten used to it, and like my service advisers always say, if it aint broke, don't fix it

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th November 2009 at 17:17.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 01:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Somewhat OT, but same thing happened to my bike as well. The service adviser @ Castrol Bike Zone asked to replace the clutch at 25k service which I refused since I couldn't feel any difference. The bike still going strong after 10k more KMs and 3 years. The best part is, the same adviser didn't ask me to replace the clutch when I went for the next service.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Clearly, changing the clutch components and giving the system an overhaul is an extremely profitable job for the authorised service stations. Not surprising, as clutch components are generally priced on the higher side. And it's pretty much a bolt-on job
Not only is it profitable. But at 17K you wonder if they even replaced it at all. They could have just lubed the cable.

Even if they did, they probably take your old clutch and put it in another person's car charging him full price.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

I do not know if BHPians get conned so easily. However I am pretty sure for others the story is pretty true. They take their cars to the A.S.S. because they only trust them (blindly so). To them a knowledgeable sounding SA with smooth talking manners is what a car expert is. So when the guy calls up after a couple of hours of taking the car in and asks whether they should replace the almost dead clutch (and helpfully add that you can still do another 5000-7000 kms on these if you really push it) the worried car owner gets scared that his beloved car is in bad state. And then what is a few thousands?

That is more or less how it goes in most of these cases as I have seen. I doubt whether they even change the clutch in reality or just service the old one (I have seen some evidences to make wonder if it does really happen regularly). Very recently a senior IT manager I know was conned the same way. I have no proof really to say he was conned except for the fact that at 30k a Hyundai Santro clutch needing a replacement sounded bizzare to me. He is definitely not the clutch slipping boy racer type to have worn out his clutch so quickly. And when I murmurred my apprehensions to him he was pretty dismissive about it and said that he can not take chances with his car and would be more at peace if the SA does what is really needed to be done.

So there.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 04:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ok I guess I am also a Victim
This year in June my Accent with 49K on Odo,started giving squeaking sound whenever clutch was pressed.
On inspection by various mechs,it was found out that it was the clutch bearing.
Now,I took her to Various Hyundai A.S.S's and got to know
Saar,we replace the complete clutch only,or usual answer,parts not in stock.

Until I found an Independent Hyundai owned authorised service station,who decided to take up the job and replace the bearing.

the clutch was dismanteled and it was lying on the floor,while they had gone to look for bearing.
Now all of a sudden service advisor comes and what happened next shocked me
He came and stood on the clutch and started jumping on it,shouting

"Ye to Kharab Hai"(its damaged).
Actually damaging the clutch further,that had me replace the whole clutch.
Old 26th November 2009, 05:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Now all of a sudden service advisor comes and what happened next shocked me
He came and stood on the clutch and started jumping on it,shouting

"Ye to Kharab Hai"(its damaged).
Actually damaging the clutch further,that had me replace the whole clutch.
you should have asked this monkey to pay for the replacement.
clutch was not damaged but looks like a plan.

Thanks GTO for another very informative topic
Old 26th November 2009, 05:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
you should have asked this monkey to pay for the replacement.
clutch was not damaged but looks like a plan.

Thanks GTO for another very informative topic
I was shocked,as I had never expected this.
and they were ready to put the back the old clutch after jumping on it
Saar ye chal jayega 8-10000kms(it will work for another 8-10K kms).
To be on safer side and avoid any complications,i chose to replace the whole thing

Last edited by akshay4587 : 26th November 2009 at 05:45.
Old 26th November 2009, 05:49   #27
BHPian

strange,
i would have certainly wrote this to Hyundai, on how professionally they handle customer's car parts.
Old 26th November 2009, 06:02   #28
BHPian

As a rule, I insist on staying with my car during service. If the SA objects, I tell him politely, "I am willing to sign a waiver if you need. I have paid my hard earned money to buy this car and I feel I am entitled to stay and watch what you are doing to it".

My SA has got so used to this statement that not only has he stopped objecting, but nowadays offers to put a chair there for me to sit and watch

It usually helps to let them know upright that you are not technically ignorant and pretty much know quite a few things about cars and they are very cautious with you.

Thanks to Team-BHP, I am sure all of us can talk a bit knowledgeable to the SA. I only pity the "mango man" who just trusts them blindly and replace whatever they suggest.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 10:08   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you, GTO, for highlighting one of the more common issues through which authorised service centres attempt to rip off unsuspecting customers. Although all cars owned by me have never had clutch replacement done even at 100,000+ km, I find it is fairly common for the clutch plate in an average car to last between 50,000 and 80,000 km, depending on driving habits. The associated parts (cables, hydraulics) may fail earlier, but that would not require taking out the assembly.

One of my experiences with an A$$ trying to replace a clutch unjustifiedly is described below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yesterday a relative's NHC Type 3 had a clutch failure on a deserted New Delhi road at night. The hydraulics failed, and the clutch would not disengage. Got him to check the clutch oil level over the phone - the reservoir was empty, pointing to an oil leak.

Solution: I advised him to top up the reservoir with plain water. After pumping a few times, the clutch started working again, and he managed to drive the car home.

Repair: Today, he had the car checked - a leaking joint from the pipeline caused the loss of oil. The cylinders (master and slave) were fine. The whole system was flushed repeatedly with hydraulic oil, dried in the sun, the leak taken care of, and the system topped up and bleeding done. Clutch works as good as ever.

Total cost: 1 litre oil + Rs.300 labour.

Ring Road Honda told me the reapir will involve opening up the clutch plates. Estimated cost: Rs.14,000.
A quick check that most owners should be able to perform in case they have been told that the clutch needs replacement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The City ZX has a hydraulic clutch. Check clutch fluid level, top up and bleed as required. The stiffness will disappear.

To check if your clutch is slipping, jam the handbrake, put the car into 3rd gear, rev up to 3000 rpm, and introduce the clutch gently. If the revs don't slow down as you try to maintain them by further depressing the accelerator (i.e. the revs stay up), you've got clutch slippage. Litmus test, but don't try it more than once or twice. You burn out 1000km worth of clutch life at each go.

Good luck, but check that your handbrake's fully functional first!
Old 26th November 2009, 10:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
strange,
i would have certainly wrote this to Hyundai, on how professionally they handle customer's car parts.
Even I had thought of this.
but this was a one time incident,as i have shared good experience with them,and its the only hyundai authorised service center that would let me use synthetic engine oil for my car.
Rest would say saar only our oil,nothing else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks