Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 21:43   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the list jobs Service centers use to make money.
1.Replacing half worn clutch
2.Replacing half worn brake pads
3.Engine flush.
4.Engine de-carb
5.Adding additives to fuel and Oil, not suggested by Manufacturers.
6.Cheap rust prevention sold claimed to be high quality ones.
7.Fake Teflon coats, most of the times just a wax done by a rubbing machine.
8.Engine cabin/Wiring Lamination
9.Suspension jobs.
Add more to the list if you have seen more.

At last service i was told brake pads need replacement, i opted to wait till they wear out fully, Now after 3-4k kms they still are running fine.

Mahindra Service centre in gurgaon even does all flushing & additives jobs without prior permission of customer, upon asking they say its recommended by Mahindra. When they did this to our Scorpio i asked them for anything in writing from that suggesting such jobs, as expected they discounted the charges and did not accept our Scorpio after that day.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2009, 22:13   #62
BHPian

OHC 1.3 here done 1,59,000 kms still running on original clutch. requires a bit of high revving in first gear, otherwise no problem.

recently dragged with a Accent 1.5 and beat it. took it to Honda for replacement and they said it will come for atleast 20K more.

Friends Ford Fiesta had some problems, felt like it was slipping. took it to the showroom and they said that clutch has to be replaced. got it done outside. mechanic said clutch was misaligned???????
Old 29th November 2009, 10:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

The clutch of our M-800 (2000 make, carb version) was just replaced at 54K km. It used to slip a lot when the throttle was floored in 4th gear. But strangely, it rarely slipped in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The car would struggle to climb inclines, even flyovers. Car was till now driven by dad with no clutch riding, and FE oriented gear shifting.

After the clutch change, there has been a vast improvement in the performance. The car is much more fun to drive now! It invites me to accelerate hard everytime!
Old 29th November 2009, 12:11   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My advise to anyone going forward with any expensive job after being advised by a service advisor is to take a alternative advice from some other trusted place.
If one had an alternative trusted place, one would mostly do all servicing there itself!!
Old 29th November 2009, 12:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If one had an alternative trusted place, one would mostly do all servicing there itself!!
Even if there someone is not able to find a trusted place, How about a query on Team-BHP? Or Advice from some other service center.
Old 29th November 2009, 13:30   #66
BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard that, what exactly does it mean?? Details please.

Quote:
When they did this to our Scorpio i asked them for anything in writing from that suggesting such jobs, as expected they discounted the charges and did not accept our Scorpio after that day.
Buggers only need new and unsuspecting customers to pull off their con jobs! I say you're better off without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ4647 View Post
OHC 1.3 here done 1,59,000 kms still running on original clutch. requires a bit of high revving in first gear, otherwise no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
P.S. - My OE clutch on the OHC is running strong at nearly 130k kms.
Wow! I'm a proud owner, running the OE clutch till now as well. Guess the initial OHCs had some serious good quality parts.
If you need to rev high to make the car move from stand still, I think the pressure plates have given away.
Old 29th November 2009, 14:54   #67

Just the thread i wanted.My Baleno clutch feels hard and now instead of changing or overhaul i think i will go for servicing or oil lubricating.
This should save some money...Thanks thread op.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:30   #68
BHPian

I too have suffered due to bad brake pads on my Honda City ZX. Well when I escalated the problem the maintainence manager in Deccan Honda , Pune himself created a file and measured out the brake pad parameters. Well since 25k kms there are no complaints about brake pads...earlier they had occured at 9k,18k,24k ... I did see a pattern and complained. It seems I finally got the good pads

Any esteemed fellow members associated with the after sales/service ? Would love to hear their angle of the story when it comes to early clutch or brake pad replacement. After all a coin does have two sides.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:57   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My Alto's clutch was replaced under warranty at 3000kms. I had complained of the car jerking with the AC and as trial and error method they replaced the clutch. It did not solve the jerking.

After that at 17,000kms I got clutch shudder for first few minutes in the morning i.e. cold start. Again Maruti offered to replace my clutch under warranty but after inspection they found that clutch was fine but shudder was due to some other reason.
I have a similar problem in my 2005 Zen (30K done). During the last service the SA mentioned that I would have to overhaul the clutch in the next service!! The only problem I faced was similar to the one mentioned by you where the vehicle would shudder for first few minutes in morning.

Do you know why this happens? Although if I am extremely careful and drive barefoot or with shoes with very thin sole... I do not face this problem.

After reading this thread I am sure clutch overhaul is not required as there is no slippage and performs perfectly fine in climbs.

Is there any relationship to clutch performance and age (not km reading), the first owner of my car had kept the vehicle idle in the garage for quite some time when he went abroad and hence 30K only on the 2005 model.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:43   #70
BHPian

My alto shudders in the first gear since last six month and service centre says clutch has to be replaced but there is no clutch slippage in any gears, no power loss too and recent mileage was almost 19 kmpl. I have learnt to live with the shudder by just pressing a little on the accelerator and then leaving it and letting go off the clutch pedal fully so that vehicle is in motion and then depressing accelerator again. That takes care of the shuddering in first gear.

Could this problem be due to clutch cable as mentioned in some threads? Another thing i want to know is that it is OK to get a clutch replacement outside MASS?Recently on a visit to auto market I chatted up a guy who was getting his Zen clutch replaced. He mentioned that it is around Rs 1200 plus labor though MASS quoted RS 3800-4000 for the whole job. Are genuine OEM clutch available outside freely?
Old 30th November 2009, 12:45   #71

Clutch problem (Zen estilo 2007)

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I am a newbie and as you know this is my first post and my concern is exactly relevant to this topic.

We have a Zen estilo 2007 model, done around 16K. The problem I am facing is that during mornings (cold start) when I drive the car on a slope on first gear it shudders. This happens only in the morning or at least that is the only time I encounter a slope immediately after starting the car (that is while coming out of my apartments basement parking).

At around 14k Kms, I had got the car serviced at Mandovi Motors and told the SA about the shudder. The SA told me that it can only happen if you have a week (damaged) clutch and the only solution is to change it. But he also mentioned that it does not require an immediate changed and I can continue using the car till it really becomes bad.
Here is a small snapshot of my daily driving.

1) My weekday run is not more them 5 to 10 Kms, mainly on Bannergatta road-Bangalore, which is at peak office hrs (bumper to bumper).
2) Weekend 20 to 30Kms, in and around Bangalore (Again a lot of traffic)
3) The approach road to my apartment is in a very bad (some 500 mts) due to road construction and that is how it has been for over 2 years now.

When I was told about the weak clutch, I attributed the above mentioned daily driving condition to have caused the damage and I was keen on getting it rectified before it really gets bad or I get stuck somewhere.

My question is, can the above factors really strain the clutch to the extend that it gets damaged?

I have been driving for the last 7 to 8 years and all my pervious cars (second hand Maruti’s-M 800, ZEN) Never required any clutch change for the 20k odd kms I had them .. My pervious Zen (old model) already had 30K Kms on clock when I bought it from a very close friend and that way I am sure that it had not gone through and clutch replacement till 50k+ till I had it.

A few members on this thread have mentioned about the cold start shudder, can you please tell, what was the fix for it?

Guys please advise me. Though I have been driving for quite a while I am a complete novice when it comes to mechanics.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:15   #72
BHPian

For clutch shudder, you should get the air in the clutch system bled out. This is usually done for free and once the air is completely out, the shudder should reduce or completely disappear!
Old 30th November 2009, 13:34   #73
BHPian

Is this problem (shudder at cold start) more common in MPFI engines?
Old 30th November 2009, 15:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

I think this problem is peculiar to MPFI Marutis. I never faced this problem in my old carb engined Maruti but is present in my MPFI 800. This shuddering is only in the 1st gear. Even when the engine is cold, while moving to 2nd and higher I don't face any problem. I am also getting this problem during cold starts but not every time. Haven't found any solution yet ,just living with it.

Last edited by longhorn : 30th November 2009 at 15:07.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:40   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
If you need to rev high to make the car move from stand still, I think the pressure plates have given away.
You can say that again. 0 - 100 timing runs can rapidly accelerate clutch wear. Its actually one of the reasons I lent out my Gtech (timing device) to BHPians. Was too addictive and taking a toll on my cars' clutch.

Quote:
1.Replacing half worn clutch
2.Replacing half worn brake pads
3.Engine flush.
4.Engine de-carb
5.Adding additives to fuel and Oil, not suggested by Manufacturers.
6.Cheap rust prevention sold claimed to be high quality ones.
7.Fake Teflon coats, most of the times just a wax done by a rubbing machine.
9.Suspension jobs.
Thanks for sharing! Helpful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
My alto shudders in the first gear
If it only happens in the cold, could have to do with the fluid. However, if it shudders irrespective of whether its the first thing in the morning, or after a long drive, I'd suspect the flywheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
For clutch shudder, you should get the air in the clutch system bled out. This is usually done for free and once the air is completely out, the shudder should reduce or completely disappear!
Worthy suggestion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks