Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2006, 01:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Buffetfan,

Very interesting topic, and I would be very grateful to some productive answers. When rattles set in my car, I hate it!

If it helps, period tightening of the body-chassis bolts (all 8 of them..LOL) helps in maintaining the stiffness of my Jeep.

GTO
also, buffet fan, you could get the chassis stiffened (by spot welding) the way the rally cars are done up to remove rattles
Old 9th February 2006, 19:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
also, buffet fan, you could get the chassis stiffened (by spot welding) the way the rally cars are done up to remove rattles
What about the rust that will set in in all the spot welding locations?? Since the protection will not be as perfect as a factory galvanised sheet.
Old 9th February 2006, 19:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

My OHC vtec rattles away to glory especially from inside the door trims and dash. Also I hear creaking noises from god knows where (somewhere under the car, chassis I guess)when Im on uneven surfaces, when the front wheels are on a different plane than the rear.

This link might help a bit...http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/squeaks.html

Last edited by The Wolf : 9th February 2006 at 19:37.
Old 10th February 2006, 14:14   #49
BHPian

However I get the feeling that Japanese cars are prone more to rattling than their Europen counterparts...compare the Honda city to an Opel astra od those days.The astra simply feels more solid and more rattle free.
But the lancer seem to be an exception.
Old 10th February 2006, 15:51   #50
BHPian

I have had several problems with my 2003 OHC 1.5 with the unwanted noise department. Have infact written to HONDA-SEIL once and got the local dealer to fix all the rattles free of cost, only for them to appear after 3 or 4 months.

I have zeroed in on some of the rattles I have in the car now...

1. Rattle in the Dashboard/instrument panel because of the trip meter/odometer readings getting loose. I can see these shaking visibly on un-even roads and can' really do anything about it... so I have to live with it for now, unless I get the instrument cluster replaced and have problems while trying to sell it.

2. Another rattle somewhere deep inside the dash is because of the Pioneer HU. This I intend to get fixed at the place where I got my stereo installed as they do a better job compared to Sundaram honda here.

3. Rattle in the door, caused by door speakers. Have already tightened these once, have to do it again. This is a recurring problem every 10K KM.

4. Rattle in the RHS door due to the Power RV mirror motor. Sundaram Honda recommends that I replace the motor (like it will be the end of all issues...) but does not guarantee that the new one will be noise free for atleast 10K KM, so no point changing that. Have to ask them to put some grease or lubricant for now.

5. minor squeeks in the chasis, mostly vanishes when I get the car serviced and the under chasis lubricated.

6. Have secured all the items on the boot with bubble wraps (jockey, toolkit, the hazard warning triangle, etc all). Had to use a full bubble wrap sheet to cover the spare wheel so the cardboard sits on bubble wrap.

7. Am planning to coat the corners (inside.. ofcourse) of my dashboard with the Silicon Gel that I use on my fish tank.... dont knoo how effective this solution could be. I will let you guys know once I have tried same.

8. Door rattles due to the locks, I can get this fixed when the car goes in for the next service.

thats it I think.... can anyone add to this list ?

In my experience, I have found that it is better to DIY than be dependent on the Authorised service centres as they are always short of resources and want to get your car out ASAP... so they can take on the next victim.
Old 10th February 2006, 19:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
What about the rust that will set in in all the spot welding locations?? Since the protection will not be as perfect as a factory galvanised sheet.
sorry forgot to add, this should be undertaken if you are getting your car painted or you could go for a underbody paint...
Old 10th March 2007, 03:39   #52
BHPian

rattles on my adventure

I am having this problem in my new fiat adventure. It is from dashboard and from front windows. Once as it was too much i took it to the dealership and they fixed it to some extent. but on night it really sprungs up as there is less noise around.

Whenever i releases clutch the rattle from dashboard is very evident. Ready to do anything for this.
Old 10th March 2007, 17:03   #53
BHPian

Really a useful topic. As indicated my all members, the rattles are really annoying. I have Santro 0f Aug 2004 and it started to rattle within 6 months. I would try to the points mentioned by all members to minimize the rattle.

I guess in average Indian road conditions, rattle is something all car owners has to live with.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

As I said earlier, there is only one solution to get that rattle free car - Turn up the volume on ur ICE . I have a big 2 feet box in my boot to cancel out all the noise pollution !!
Old 10th July 2007, 23:34   #55
BHPian

can anybody help me .....i need suggestions to remove dashboard rattles (santro zipplus lp).....
Old 11th July 2007, 00:46   #56
BHPian

try to use sound deadening material. Get it fitted from a good place.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:58   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
can anybody help me .....i need suggestions to remove dashboard rattles (santro zipplus lp).....
Try to isolate all the noises so that you can pinpoint exactly where that rattle is coming from. Once you figured where it is coming from, use some paper/cloth inserts with glue and it should fix it. The driver seat in my car makes squealing noises everytime I turn. The seat cushion was rubbing against the plastic moulding and tt was fixed when I put a folded paper between them.

Most of the rattles can be fixed this way, you just need to know where it is coming from. A rattle from the chasis may actually be a loose bolt holding your spare tyre in place!
Old 11th July 2007, 01:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
try to use sound deadening material. Get it fitted from a good place.
How does sound deading material prevent rattle noise? AFAIK, it insulates the cabin from engine and road/tyre noise.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:52   #59
BHPian

Atleast you wont listen them anymore, and it also absorbs vibrations.
Old 11th July 2007, 14:58   #60
BHPian

as i mentioned earlier the sound is frm left side ....around the front speakers...the fitting of speaker is absolutely fine ....wat else ???need help plz

Most Viewed