Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 21:04   #91
BHPian

Luckily for me, whenever the rattles show up, the service guys are able to fix it. Sometimes without me asking for it. Maybe its a part of their checklist to do for servicing.
Old 5th June 2009, 00:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
I won't say that new cars are rattle free - I've known swifts - which have started rattling in their first 2-3 months - that too without the panels being touched once...
I agree! My Linea has been rattling from the 1st month and it's driving me crazy.
Old 5th June 2009, 00:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I agree! My Linea has been rattling from the 1st month and it's driving me crazy.
Dont know if it was a problem with the starting batches. I own a petrol Linea and after 2 months and 2500 kms with a trip to Himachal and bone jarring 30 kms in the way there is still no rattle in my car.
After reading your thread, took the car out next day and i could hear a rattle then opened dashboard, removed my sunglass holder and rattle went away.
Not a single squeak anywhere till now or am i speaking too much so early? Maybe after 1st service at auth TATA A.S.S some rattles may finally come
Old 11th June 2009, 01:30   #94
BHPian

my car... is a rattle snake! :P
Old 15th June 2009, 11:20   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
my car... is a rattle snake! :P
you can fairly name it RattleKing Just Kidding!!!

one of my frineds who owns auth. hyudai workshop and is an automobile engineer, he owns a Swift DDIS, he has been instrumental in his effort to remove rattles from his Swift and spent loads of money as well. but he never succeeded.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:31   #96
gpa
Senior - BHPian

A small tip to prevent rattles under the dash area is to use zip ties (a plastic band used to secure shopping bags).

Recently, I used about 15 such zip ties to secure all wiring harnesses and loose wire connectors under the dashboard of my Alto and the results were astounding.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 17:17   #97
BHPian

Hi,

You could always remove rattles yourself like I do, after every while I tighten the bolts n nits in my car ( Esteem 1,20,xxx kms 2001 ) such as - doors / tools in dicky ( the tool kit opens and all tools fly around ) / panel near the windscreen / added foam inside the door panels etc , belive me doesnt take that much time .

& i can proudly say that my Esteem is almost rattle free
Old 13th November 2009, 15:23   #98
BHPian

My M800 make s lot of noice from the inside, Specially from the doors.
Had issues of sounds coming from the dash but fixed them myself one fine day but I'm unable to fix the sounds coming from my doors, I'm unable to figureout from where the sound is coming.
Old 21st April 2012, 12:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rattle Removal

Hey guys, reviving this old thread.

Was looking for a thread where we could discuss all issues related to rattling and how to fix it.

My Punto has some rattle from many months. Though these are very faint, it does irritate me a lot. I have an aftermarket ICE in my car and have even installed an aftermarket parcel tray to support the rear speakers.

Now, the rattling in my car seems to come from the boot or maybe the parcel tray itself. I am not a good DIYer, so can someone suggest me a good place in Mumbai where I can get this issue solved? I have taken my car to the A.S.S. several times, but they have not been able to solve this. Any rattling expert or mechanic in Mumbai to help me?!!!

Will damping the doors help? What if the rattling is not from the doors?
Old 21st April 2012, 12:54   #100
BHPian

@raj

If as you say the rattles are from boot area and if your amp is mounted in the boot then check the following things.

Parcel tray if tightly secured without any free movement.
Amplifier mounting screws are tight and also the board on which amplifier is mounted is tight.
Woofer is tightly secured in the box.

you can go your audio installer and get the issues addressed.
Yes damping might help to reduce door rattles.
Atleast it did to reduce the door rattles in my 800.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 14:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@raj

If as you say the rattles are from boot area and if your amp is mounted in the boot then check the following things.

Parcel tray if tightly secured without any free movement.
Amplifier mounting screws are tight and also the board on which amplifier is mounted is tight.
Woofer is tightly secured in the box.

you can go your audio installer and get the issues addressed.
Yes damping might help to reduce door rattles.
Atleast it did to reduce the door rattles in my 800.
Thank you for the pointers buddy. Yes, my amps are mounted on the rear seat back.

I will check with my installer but any good garages which will entertain such an issue of mine?
Old 22nd April 2012, 00:13   #102
BHPian

@raj
yes they should but specifically point out to them as to what to tight and all or else they might end up messing the ICE setup in boot happened to me once.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 05:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

Rattles (and other things that go Bing at night) - and their solutions

I was just reacting to some one's post on the Jazz thread on the possible cause for his newly developed rattle when I realized that a thread dedicated to rattles might be interesting & even informative.

The problem is that debugging a rattle takes time and it is a negative labour - you make something go away after long effort. SAs don't spend too much time figuring out a rattle, therfore.

All current rattle threads are model specific. The is no reason to think that best practices from one model are not applicable to other cars. Hence this thread

1.Car: Toyota Innova Crysta
Model Year:2016
Symptoms: dashboard booming & rattle
Fix: Tighten engine cowl

In my 6 month old Crysta, there was a booming sound and rattle "from somewhere on the dashboard" under acceleration. I told the ASC with very little hope of a fix. Turns out that this was a known problem in the first set of Crystas and localised to the engine cowl not being fixed right. They fixed it without issues. Might even have been a soft service advisory.

Car: Honda City
Model Year:2003
Symptoms: persistent tick-tick rattle
Fix: Loose screws in audio slot

This low volume, inconsistent rattle in my Honda City was driving me nuts. No pattern to it. Could start and keep happening on a butter smooth highway. Not happen at all on really bad roads. Start & continue for days. Stop in 2 minutes.

I wasted a lot of time figuring it out. Dakshin Honda all but asked me see a psychiatrist for "hearing things". I gave up but finally found the cause: a couple of black screws loose in the accessory box.

Gather around, children,while I explain the cause. These were the bad old days when even 'premium' cars did not have an ICE standard except in top variants. The 2 Din slots came with cutouts but the most common head units were 1 din. So if you installed a 1 din ICE there was this gaping hole in the dash. Installers who thought things thru cut only half of the cutout so there is no hole. But it still looked ugly.

Honda had this solution for this problem: they sold you a very well engineered box that fitted into the 1 din slot, screwing into the same points an ice would have. It had a nice, soft dampened door and make the dash look good. Only issue, they engineered it so that it was just smaller than a CD. So it was basically useless but looked good. Today, a smart phone would fit there. The Nokias of those days laughed at you.

This a picture of the box: Rattle Removal-images-1.jpg

So there was this 6 inch deep useless box on the dash that you will never look at after you installed it (that was the function of it). I had my 'log book' in that place. Some installer had put in 2 black screws into this box. So, you have 2 invisible screws (searching for a black cat at midnight on a new moon day in a coal cellar has nothing on this one!) in a black, useless box. So the screws rattled all the time. But when they got on top of the log book or in the spirals, they did not. They fell off when ever I removed the log book, thus escaping detection.

Big relief when I found out & removed them! Honda really should have rubber lined the box.

Last edited by sridhu : 30th September 2017 at 06:11.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks