Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 19:59   #1
BHPian

Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose

Guys,

(Mods: Not sure if this is the right place to post, please do the needful)

I have a santro 2000 model. I met with an accident just before Christmas luckily nothing happened to me. Just that the steering hit my chest real hard but nothing serious. I was wearing the seat belt and I thank TeamBHP for that. I started wearing the seat belt only after I became a member of BHP.

The question now is my car is sitting idle at home. The front part of the car is completely gone. The windshield, bonnet, bumper, and parts like battery, radiator, fan etc. I mean everything is gone other than the engine. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to sell the car off(scrap value) or do I get it done. TI have only 3rd party insurance so can't claim.

My local mechanic says it will cost me around 60k to get ii done completely. Will it be worth getting it done for sell for scrap. How much do you think I can expect. Need your advice guys. Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 21:00   #2
BANNED

Sad to hear about you and the car.

If 60K gets it back to a 'good' condition, I would get it done and sell it off but again, depending on the amount you get if you sell it as scrap.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Sad to hear about you and the car.

If 60K gets it back to a 'good' condition, I would get it done and sell it off but again, depending on the amount you get if you sell it as scrap.
The problem here is even if I spend 60k to get it back to a good condition my mechanic says you might face problems. I'm in a fix

Spoke to guy who buys vehicles in scrap, says the best price I can get is around 50k. What say guys, sell or keep?
Old 28th January 2010, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Keeping in mind the present market condition if you get 50k then its time for you to bid goodbye to you 9yrs old pal if you have no sentiments attached to it. I think that old is definitely a zip drive or pre zip drive model. Try to increase the price with your scrap dealer if possible.
On the other side if you get the car repaired it would give you niggling issues time after time and you will have to shell out more again. If you can, then get it repaired and sell it off. As you stated that engine is not affected then many other things can be taken care of.
BUT IN MY VIEW YOU SHOULD SELL IT OFF AND GET A NEW ONE AS ITS NOT ADVISABLE TO SPEND THAT HUGE AMOUNT ON A 9YRS OLD CAR
Old 28th January 2010, 21:59   #5
BANNED

If you are getting 50K for scrap. Certainly sell it off dude..!
Old 28th January 2010, 22:00   #6
BHPian

First of all sorry to hear about the accident.
Though you say, it is not major, IMHO, it is better to get a thorough health check up done.
Regarding the repair, it depends on the amount of body damage @djjebs. If the 'A' pillar is in OK condition you can try for repairing. Because hood, fender, radiator, radiator grill are all regular serviceable parts (and readily available with authorised service centers). However, if the vehicle body is considerably damaged, then it is better to scrap.
It will help if you post a few pictures (if you do not mind of course)

Regards,

Samish
Old 28th January 2010, 22:04   #7
BHPian

Thanks samsag12 & Ranjan Sharma, quite a lot of sentiments with the car, but then I don’t think it would be as good as it was before the accident. I do not want to repair and sell it off as I do not want anyone facing trouble with her later on. So I will most probably sell it off this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
First of all sorry to hear about the accident.
Though you say, it is not major, IMHO, it is better to get a thorough health check up done.
Regarding the repair, it depends on the amount of body damage @djjebs. If the 'A' pillar is in OK condition you can try for repairing. Because hood, fender, radiator, radiator grill are all regular serviceable parts (and readily available with authorised service centers). However, if the vehicle body is considerably damaged, then it is better to scrap.
It will help if you post a few pictures (if you do not mind of course)

Regards,

Samish
I will post a few pictures in a while. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Here are a few pictures of my injured baby. Really don't like to look at her in this stage

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-24122009247small.jpg  

Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-24122009248small.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2010 at 21:02. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 22:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Did you visit A.S.C. ? I think they have better quality work for body as body is quite damaged. I would not trust any mechanic on this.

And considering the damage, its better to scrap the car and go in for new one, but it also depends on how much you can spend for a new car.

If you decide to repair the car, get it repaired at A.S.C.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:23   #9
BHPian

aaggoswami: I agree that ASC would do a better job, but I'm sure their quote would be much higher. As a matter of fact I have not showed to the ASC. After selling this I might have a budget of 1.5 lacs, which car can I get that kind of money?
Old 28th January 2010, 22:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO, its better to get whatever you can in scrap value, rather than trying to fix the damage.Who know what all problems might arise later. Bills will keep adding up if there's any damage to the frame as well as critical components within the engine bay.
If you get anywhere close to Rs 50K, give it away and look for something used, probably a decent sedan if possible.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
Here are a few pictures of my injured baby. Really don't like to look at her in this stage
Man that's some serious damage. If there is even 1% chance in your mind to get it repaired then i would suggest that don't even think of it as it will never be the same again. The impact of crash had been taken by the car and there is only one successful life of them. The crumple zones are like chemical change and not physical change. You can get it repaired but the structural integrity is already been compromised. SELL IT OFF ASAP and i hope you to come out of this dilemma. Buy a new one and enjoy life.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:32   #12
BHPian

hi djjebs i think you could first take an estimate from a A.S.S then if it is out of your budget you could consider scrapping the car and buying a new one. If it is under your budget you could repair it then sell, the old santro has a lot more resale value than 50k+60k. but if you do decide to get it repaired, do it at A.S.S only.

my 2cents

Regards
rocky
Old 28th January 2010, 22:32   #13
BANNED

You dont have insurance?
Old 28th January 2010, 22:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You dont have insurance?

I was going to ask the exact same thing! What about the insurance?

Considering that you're using words like "baby" to refer to your car shows that you do have an emotional attachment to the car. Take it to the Hyundai guys. They'll do it better. Post a pic showing the entire side-view of the car. At least we can assess if the pillars have taken a hit or no. If the pillars haven't taken a hit, you can repair and use it.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You dont have insurance?
I have 3rd party insurance.

samsag12: I don't think I'm gonna repais & keep it or sell it. I'll propably sell her in this condition itself and not to forget the car has taken the hit pretty well

rocky080: Maybe I'll try getting someone from the A.S.S to get an estimate but As I said I dont think I'll use her again

Last edited by djjebs : 28th January 2010 at 22:59. Reason: Adding some more posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks