Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Zen AC compressor change (R12 to R134)

Hello everyone,

AC is the main thing while driving in Mumbai, specifically during summer, I own a ZEN which has a 80cc compressor which is inadequate and the cooling is not that good.
My ZEN AC has gone from bad to worse, it was making a lot of noise when switch ON and was heavy on zen engine and add to that , the gas was leaking, I had to top up every month, still no cooling and average was going down, decided to sell the car, but then who will buy a zen with bad compressor. The only option was to change the compressor.
MASS quoted 21K for only compressor, other road side shop quoted 14K for the compressor. To top it all the gas used in zen ( R12 ) is banned and not easily available. Frustrated called my cousin who directed his AC mechanic to visit my house and have a look at zen compressor. He too advice me change the compressor. I made up my mind to spend around 15K just to get the AC working.
I said to the mechanic “ Kitna kharcha hoga” he said “saab -------- hoga“ (I will tell the figure at the end)
My heart skip a beat, I again asked him “ Kitna?????” “ saab------- hoga”, Etna main hoja ye ga?? I asked him. “ Haa saab” I agreed to change the compressor.
After a week he calls me and said that he has the compressor ( second hand ) and in top condition, I asked him to come on Sunday to install it as that I can personally see what he is doing.
He changed the following
Compressor ( 80cc which uses R134 gas ), he purchase the compressor from Kurla, Mumbai where all the cars are scrapped.
R134 gas
Evaporator bottle
A valve inside the dash board
Total bill 5000 K
yes you heard it only 5000K and my AC chills now and is super silent, average has now is 15.5 in city.

I do hope all zen onners are benifitted by my experience.
udaydesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2010, 18:09   #2
BHPian

just 5000... excellent man... the evaporator bottle would have be around 500. the gas another 1300, the valve (btw its called expansion valve) that another 800. the mechanic labour...say 500?? ok so 500+1300+800+500=3100!! 5000-3100=1900.. damn good man. the mechanic dude is surely a nice guy and so is your friend who introduced him to you. so you can chill now in your new AC. lol

cheers
saud
Old 10th July 2010, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

evaporator Bottle??

i think you mean receiver/dryer bottle.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
MASS quoted 21K for only compressor, other road side shop quoted 14K for the compressor. To top it all the gas used in zen ( R12 ) is banned and not easily available. Frustrated called my cousin who directed his AC mechanic to visit my house and have a look at zen compressor. He too advice me change the compressor. I made up my mind to spend around 15K just to get the AC working.
I said to the mechanic “ Kitna kharcha hoga” he said “saab -------- hoga“ (I will tell the figure at the end)
My heart skip a beat, I again asked him “ Kitna?????” “ saab------- hoga”, Etna main hoja ye ga?? I asked him. “ Haa saab” I agreed to change the compressor.
After a week he calls me and said that he has the compressor ( second hand ) and in top condition, I asked him to come on Sunday to install it as that I can personally see what he is doing.
Hello Uday .
Your experiance with changing the ac compressor is really an inviting one to most of the Zen owners in the forum . Because the zen ac was always a pain for most of the owners . Well I am one of them too .

Would like your help in some of the topics mentioned below .
1 - is this new compressor that of zens ?
2- Which years?
3- I also would like to do this change , do you have a contact in Kerala ?
( I know I being too optimistic in this 3rd question ) .

Have fun with ac on :-)
Old 10th July 2010, 23:15   #5
BHPian

wow just 5k, sweet deal you had! Can you please check the compressor for us and post details like model number and brand of this compressor? Was it a direct fit or required modification in pulley and mountings etc?
Old 10th July 2010, 23:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hello everyone,

AC is the main thing while driving in Mumbai, specifically during summer, I own a ZEN which has a 80cc compressor which is inadequate and the cooling is not that good.
My ZEN AC has gone from bad to worse, it was making a lot of noise when switch ON and was heavy on zen engine and add to that , the gas was leaking, I had to top up every month, still no cooling and average was going down, decided to sell the car, but then who will buy a zen with bad compressor. The only option was to change the compressor.
He changed the following
Compressor ( 80cc which uses R134 gas ), he purchase the compressor from Kurla, Mumbai where all the cars are scrapped.
R134 gas
Evaporator bottle
A valve inside the dash board
Total bill 5000 K
yes you heard it only 5000K and my AC chills now and is super silent, average has now is 15.5 in city.

I do hope all zen onners are benifitted by my experience.
Boss kindly give me the contact nos.of AC guy who did the job,I am also in soup for bad cooling and too much of compressor noise and no sufficient cooling.I am fed up of all jokers who tried tried tried to rectify the problem without results.
Old 11th July 2010, 17:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
evaporator Bottle??

i think you mean receiver/dryer bottle.
Thank you for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hello Uday .
Your experiance with changing the ac compressor is really an inviting one to most of the Zen owners in the forum . Because the zen ac was always a pain for most of the owners . Well I am one of them too .

Would like your help in some of the topics mentioned below .
1 - is this new compressor that of zens ?
2- Which years?
3- I also would like to do this change , do you have a contact in Kerala ?
( I know I being too optimistic in this 3rd question ) .

Have fun with ac on :-)
Sure will provide you with all the details.
sorry I do not know any one in Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
wow just 5k, sweet deal you had! Can you please check the compressor for us and post details like model number and brand of this compressor? Was it a direct fit or required modification in pulley and mountings etc?
Yes its a zen compressor and was direct fit, no modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Boss kindly give me the contact nos.of AC guy who did the job,I am also in soup for bad cooling and too much of compressor noise and no sufficient cooling.I am fed up of all jokers who tried tried tried to rectify the problem without results.
sure will PM you the no.

Guys,
Zen is one of the best cars to drive, problem is only with AC, I will let you know my experience

I own 2002 MPFI model LXI, ac compressor is just enough to cool the cabin when the car is new, as the years progress the cooling comes down. the compressor as it ages, starts to be noisey and with due course the noise becomes greated then the engine, and this loads the engine as the compressor starts to seige.
Two things can be done, repair the compressor or change the compressor.
repair is possible if the ac mechenice is very good, in my case I did repair the compressor but then it behave good for one year and then back to the noisey thing.
To replace the compressor it will set you back by 20K, but then who will put that amount in to a car which is discontinued, only fesiable solution is to install a second hand compressor with uses R134 gas ( R 12 is banned and not available).

what my machenic did was to purchase a second hand compressor from Kurla scrap yard. He bought a 80cc zen compressor which uses R 134 gas.
Then he removed my zen compressor, flushed the complete system changed the receiver/dryer bottle, changed the valve inside the dash board, and yes the ac is just fine, cools very good now.

I shall provide the model no as soon as have a look at it. I think its subros brand but let me confirm it .
Old 11th July 2010, 22:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
........I own 2002 MPFI model LXI..............I shall provide the model no as soon as have a look at it. I think its subros brand but let me confirm it .....
Maruti was using R12 gas in Pre-2003 Zens, I too own a 2002 Zen. I sorted out the AC problem in the similar fashion.

Can anyone confirm cc capacity of R12 compressor in Zen
Old 11th July 2010, 22:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the correction.

Sure will provide you with all the details.
sorry I do not know any one in Kerala.

Yes its a zen compressor and was direct fit, no modification.

sure will PM you the no.

Guys,
Zen is one of the best cars to drive, problem is only with AC, I will let you know my experience

I own 2002 MPFI model LXI, ac compressor is just enough to cool the cabin when the car is new, as the years progress the cooling comes down. the compressor as it ages, starts to be noisey and with due course the noise becomes greated then the engine, and this loads the engine as the compressor starts to seige.
Two things can be done, repair the compressor or change the compressor.
repair is possible if the ac mechenice is very good, in my case I did repair the compressor but then it behave good for one year and then back to the noisey thing.
To replace the compressor it will set you back by 20K, but then who will put that amount in to a car which is discontinued, only fesiable solution is to install a second hand compressor with uses R134 gas ( R 12 is banned and not available).

what my machenic did was to purchase a second hand compressor from Kurla scrap yard. He bought a 80cc zen compressor which uses R 134 gas.
Then he removed my zen compressor, flushed the complete system changed the receiver/dryer bottle, changed the valve inside the dash board, and yes the ac is just fine, cools very good now.

I shall provide the model no as soon as have a look at it. I think its subros brand but let me confirm it .
Thanks a million UDAY I shall contact him very soon and get the work done
Old 12th July 2010, 11:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Maruti was using R12 gas in Pre-2003 Zens, I too own a 2002 Zen. I sorted out the AC problem in the similar fashion.

Can anyone confirm cc capacity of R12 compressor in Zen
The capacity for zen R12 compressor is 80 cc
Old 13th July 2010, 09:51   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
sure will PM you the no.
Hi Uday, please put the name + number up here on the public forum itself. That way, other members (as well as guests) stand to benefit. Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 10:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Uday, please put the name + number up here on the public forum itself. That way, other members (as well as guests) stand to benefit. Thanks
Hello,

I am getting a lot of PM to have my mechanic no. For the benefit of all the zen onwers, I am putting up my mechenic no

His name is Sajan his mobile no is - 9820187183. Reffer my name.

thanks
udaydesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:06   #13
BHPian

Has anyone benifitted from the number provided?
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like he pulled the compressor out of a crashed vehicle and hence the low price. One cannot expect ready availability or fixed prices in such cases.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:22   #15
BHPian

You are lucky you live in Mumbai where the summers are humid. In Nagpur where I live, even the newer Zen compressor fails to cool when the temperature hits 45 deg. I too nearly came close to selling my Zen VXi this summer because of the inefficient AC. Now that the rains are here, the AC works fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks