Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 21:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

I went and gave the battery for slow charging at 2AMPS . Is this enough or should I go further low? At ths current strength, how long should it take to charge the battery?
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:21   #92
BHPian

hye guys, I have an i10. I havent been using it for sometime (close to 3 weeks) because of persistant rains in chennai. Now, the car starts but takes around 1/2 extra cranks. Sometimes it is a long single crank.

WHat should I do to restore it to prime? Kinda, will driving around solve things or should I have it charged?

Thanks,
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
hye guys, I have an i10. I havent been using it for sometime (close to 3 weeks) because of persistant rains in chennai. ...
LOL, it's the first time I'm hearing that someone didn't use the car because it was raining!
So what exactly did you buy it for?
Old 22nd November 2009, 16:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, it's the first time I'm hearing that someone didn't use the car because it was raining!
So what exactly did you buy it for?
Funny, it really means that I didnt use the car/ didnt get to use the car for 3 weeks and it was also raining.

and to the point? do you have any answer for my question Mr.Anupmathur. If not, please mind your business.
Old 22nd November 2009, 16:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the battery should drain out just because the car was not started for a short time of 3weeks. Just drive around for a few blocks and the battery should be fine. And charging the battery is not necessary at all IMO.

Last edited by karthik247 : 22nd November 2009 at 17:00.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:08   #96
BHPian

Yes Katick, I did drive a few kms! 30-40 kms today. It seem to be fine now.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:52   #97
BHPian

Two questions (if they seem silly, please accept my apologies in advance)

1. Is there a device that cuts of the power few minutes after the car is turned of and locked, if headlights have been left switched on?

2. What gauge of wire is used for jumper cables. I am planning to get them made.

If someone knows if jumper cables are available "off the shelf" anywhere in Chandigarh, that would be great.

By the way, if it is of any relevance to the questions, I drive a Wagon R.

Thanks guys
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpillai View Post

2. What gauge of wire is used for jumper cables. I am planning to get them made.
Just got a pair made last month here in Bangalore and it cost me Rs.400/-. Cables used are the ones that they use in the car to connect up the battery terminals, don't know the exact gauge used though. Will try and share a few pics of the same.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:26   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Funny, it really means that I didnt use the car/ didnt get to use the car for 3 weeks and it was also raining.

and to the point? do you have any answer for my question Mr.Anupmathur. If not, please mind your business.
Dude relax... it was meant as a joke (LOL?!) And your previous post did say you did not use the car "because" it was raining persistently.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Just got a pair made last month here in Bangalore and it cost me Rs.400/-. Cables used are the ones that they use in the car to connect up the battery terminals, don't know the exact gauge used though. Will try and share a few pics of the same.
Than you Kannan! Would I be inconveniencing you if I ask you to call whoever did it for what gauge the wire is?? So it is the one connected the battery terminals in the car....

I will also ask my guy.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:30   #101
BHPian

How to Jump Start your car?

I was looking for a thread on jump start but to no avail. Considering that this will be helpful to others, I am opening a new thread on Jump Start. Mods please merge this to appropriate thread if any exists.

Hi friends, how many of you have come across with a flat battery at home? I have got 2-3 instances and the last one was on the road.

The 3 biggest causes of dead car batteries are leaving your lights on, not maintaining your battery properly with the correct water levels (for older maintenance batteries), and breakdown of the diode bridge or voltage regulator in your alternator. Of course some people get a bad starter, but the odds of that are low compared to the other causes dead car batteries. First generation cars can be started by pushing but what about the new generation cars with MPFI system? So a battery is a must to start the car. So what will you do once you have a flat battery? Call the nearest electrician? Or even try to jump start the car with another battery? I will go for the second JUMP START as it’s the simplest and fastest thing I can do.

JUMP START

When jumpstarting a car, consider safety first. If at all possible, wear safety glasses. Also, never smoke or use matches while jumpstarting a car or handling a battery. Batteries can release explosive gases.

The first thing you want to remember when jump-starting a car is that a slight possibility of explosion does exist. This is because hydrogen gas--which forms as a battery discharges and loses its fluid--is flammable, and a spark from the battery cables could, theoretically, set it off. We emphasize slight because the gas would have to be fairly dense around the battery for this to happen. This is unlikely unless the battery has been sitting for a long time and little or no air circulation has occurred in the area, but it is possible

First of all we need to have a jump start cable which can be used to connect with a live battery to the dead battery. There are readymade cables available in the accessory shops, ranging from 1600 onwards IIRC. If you are keen on saving, then go for DIY Cable and use the industrial power cables. I am having a DIY Jumper Cable of 35Msq of 4 meters to connect. You will get a better quality crocodile clips from the battery shops for 150/ for a pair. Do the connections to the clips with the help of a high rated soldering iron or it can be done from an auto electrician. Good soldering ensures better conductivity and less sparks and other mishaps. Total cost was incurred 1000/- and that time it was not available in the shops.

Here’s it look like. Please note that this is not my DIY cable, it's some where with one of friends garage who misplaced it. Since I am being with a new car I am not troubling him to retrieve it soon.

How to Jump Start your car (dead battery)-jump_leads.jpg

First, make sure that the cable connectors to the dead battery are not damaged, broken or have frayed wires. This could also be a reason that the car is getting no power, since a charge cannot freely pass through damaged cable ends. If this is not the problem, follow these ten easy steps to jump start a car properly and safely:

(1) Move car with the "live" battery as close as possible to the car to be jumpstarted without the cars touching.

(2) Switch off power to both cars and make sure that they are in park. Set the brakes

(3) If any corrosion is present, scrape this off with a small knife or other object. Do not let corrosion come in contact with bare hands. If possible, wear safety gloves.

(4) Connect the metal clamps of the red cable to the positive posts of each battery. The positive posts are marked "+" or "POS". The negative posts are marked "-" or "NEG". Make sure you do not allow the metal clamps of the red and black cables to touch each other.

(5) Connect the clamp from the black cable to the negative post on the car with the live battery. Connect the other end of the black cable to bare metal on the frame of the car with the dead battery, the grounding connection. This is safer than connecting the black cable to the negative post of the dead battery

(6) Keep the cable clear of the fan and fan belt at all times.

(7) Be sure that the ignition is off in the car with the dead battery and start the car with the live battery, revving the engine lightly to charge. Attempt to start the car.

(8) When both engines are running, remove the cables by first taking off the black grounding connection on the body of the car and then the other end of the black cable. Remove the two red cable ends last. Make sure that no objects are let under the hood of either car before closing the hood.

(9) Do not turn off the engine to the car with the dead battery until you get to where you were going. If possible, let the car run for half an hour to make sure the battery has a full charge.

(10) An incorrect battery connection could cause an explosion so make sure to connect red to red and black to black.

How to Jump Start your car (dead battery)-jump-starting-jpg.jpg

If these instructions are followed and the battery will not charge or loses its charge, take car to an auto electrician.

OK, these are when things are at favorable conditions. What if you don’t have a spare car or battery?

It's bit embarrassing to ask a stranger to help you but being in a trouble, any one would be happier to help you if you have the right tool with you. It's just a matter of few seconds to start your car once you have the cable. So keep this Jump Start cable always in your tool kit like your spare wheel.

Experts, these are my crude DIY tips from my limited knowledge and the procedures are from net searching. May be a lot to be improved and many things to be cross checked during this process. Please enlighten us by pouring your valuable comments.

Thank you.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:42   #102
BHPian

I guess there is no dedicated thread on jump start, but there is a thread which explains it

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html
Old 17th August 2010, 14:06   #103
Senior - BHPian

Informative post/thread, Sajjit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt
Total cost was incurred 1000/- and that time it was not available in the shops.
Just got myself a jump-start cable from the US(Walmart) for 11$ (approx 550Rs, incl. tax).

Quote:
Experts, these are my crude DIY tips from my limited knowledge and the procedures are from net searching. May be a lot to be improved and many things to be cross checked during this process. Please enlighten us by pouring your valuable comments.
The process is mentioned in your car manual lucidly - atleast all Maruti car manuals have this.

Quote:
(5) Connect the clamp from the black cable to the negative post on the car with the live battery. Connect the other end of the black cable to bare metal on the frame of the car with the dead battery, the grounding connection. This is safer than connecting the black cable to the negative post of the dead battery.
The literature that came with my cable gives dual instructions (for positive and negative grounding, depending on the car it seems), while car-manual usually mentions grounding to be negative.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:00   #104
Senior - BHPian

Jump starting

Many of us carry a Jump Start Cable, but are we aware of the dangers involved in "jump starting" modern vehicles with ECU?

Here is a relevant link Jump starting without endangering engine management system

It has been ages since I jump started any vehicle, but the insight provided can save us a lot of trouble (and money), if we have a Flat Battery in a remote location.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:59   #105
BHPian

Re: Jump starting

Good piece of knowledge - you need additional resistance with batteries in parallel or risk damage due to spiking? I never thought of that.

BUT is it not the same situation if the battery is replaced. Or is it that the problem arises if the donor car's engine is also running. Otherwise it should just be a static battery in parallel which should not be the problem.

Any gurus? Please clarify

Most Viewed