Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: How to reduce the glare on the ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

You don't have to point it all the way down, just a few mms. The point is to avoid a direct glare; you can't avoid all the lights altogether. Try it first and then comment. It worked on my motorized OHC and my non motorized manually adjustable i10 mirrors and rigid Classic mirrors.

You don't need to see the entire car, you need to know where it's in relation to your vehicle. Even in the day-night IRVM, you just see the lights and nothing else.

It's better to see the tyres than get blinded and see nothing. Anyways, try it, you should see more than the tyres.
I do this for night drives and never had a problem. I think this is one of the best solution as the very dark sun films reduce visibility.
Old 11th December 2010, 19:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I do this for night drives and never had a problem. I think this is one of the best solution as the very dark sun films reduce visibility.
My M800 has plane ORVMs. So light reflecting from them is very severe. When I installed sun films, this problem became less severe. But another thing which I do is, I try to adjust the mirror in such a way that the light reflects back to the person driving the vehicle behind. I am successful sometimes in correctly adjusting the mirror and the vehicle at the back dims the light. If not, I let the vehicle pass me.

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2010, 19:37   #18
BANNED

Very simple solution for those who drive leisurely or when driving leisurely .
Keep your mirrors in such a position that they are little upwards.
What you need to do is move the mirrors to a position which is not your normal position and to view the traffic behind you have to shift a bit up , to your right , to your left , or a little down.
Any way which you are comfortable with.

I have been doing this on a Zen which is lowest you can get for side view mirrors so anything from a M800 to a truck used to make life hell but with this little iteration i have been happier a lot , no pains.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

My Audi A4 (which I miss badly) had a beautiful solution to this. All of its mirrors had light sensitive darkness (i.e. it had something similar to photochromatic glass and a light intensity sensor). Whenever the sensor sensed bright light (such as a high beam from the car behind), it used to make the glass darker. The same happened with inside RVM as well (and hence it was called an auto day/night mirror instead of the manual day/night mirror). This is the only real solution to the problem you mentioned. Apart from this, I doubt if any other solution will work.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th December 2010 at 23:13.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2010, 23:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to reduce the glare in my Fiesta's OVRM's of the following cars. Now we know a lot of morons on the road tend to use the high beam during the night drive and this causes a lot a glare on the OVRM's particularly when they are tail gating. To partially reduce the glare the Day/night Inner rear view mirror can be adjusted for the night mode but what could be done for the OVRM's. The glare is so severe it momentarily tends to blind you.

Any one experienced this before? How/what is the solution for the glare reduction?

Mods - I searched the topic in this section, could not find any related threads. In case there exists any, pls merge the same.
I indicate the idiot behind me with high beams ON to switch off the lights or dip them by gestures with fingers, if he doesnt understand then at next signal I get out and remind him about it. and tell him how frustrating it is.

Most of these guys are ignorant and apolozise.But I dont understand why highbeams are needed in city driving when most of the roads are well lit.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:31   #21
BHPian

has anyone tried using window tints on the ORVM?
am thinking to give it a shot at it, cause its a royal pain when irritant drivers use high beams in bumper to bumper traffic
especially the Tata Ace tempo drivers
Old 12th December 2010, 00:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to reduce the glare on the ORVM's

@mods: We need to change OVRM to ORVM in the thread title.

IMO The best is to adjust the ORVM a bit up and down than the normal and when you need to look behind adjust yourself.
Old 12th December 2010, 01:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

I too try to point the mirrors slightly away from the direct line of sight!

btw I remember this incident when I was waiting at a traffic light and this innova pulled up behind my car such that its right headlight and half radiator grille was visible in my right ORVM.

He was using high beams even while waiting and it was irritating me a lot due to direct glare.

Then I adjusted the mirror such that the glare was reflected back into the passenger compartment of his car and immediately he switched to low beam lol!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2010, 15:03   #24
BHPian

My Ford Grand Marquis already have central Rear View Mirror anti glare built function, it is auto-on function cuts the lights coming from behind like you are wearing sun glass. I don't know this this type of RVM is available in India, but I am sure it will be available abroad, this is standard in all higher segment cars.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:10   #25

Re: How to reduce the glare on the ORVMs

hi

ive suffered the ORVM glare problem repeatedly here in goa, with mainly the tourist cars being the culprits . Not to say that locals do not need a lesson in traffic manners.

Theoretically wouldn't installing the high end clear garware etc. film (that is used for windshields) on the windows of the front work in this case? Ive found these films do work on the windshields with oncoming traffic therefore- should work here as well in reducing glare from the ORVMs.

cheers
Old 17th December 2010, 21:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

I heard that Q of the Bond fame is visiting. Why don't you ask him to put a contraption at the rear of your car that would fire tiny missiles and take out those offending HLs behind you. Very simple...
Old 17th December 2010, 21:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^ Why blow the poor fellow away. I would suggest a contraption that would fire dummy hands that can go to the car behind, knock on the driver's window & as soon as the window opens, one tight slap!!!!!!!!
Old 17th December 2010, 22:02   #28
BHPian

We all know it is irritating, sometimes when it is too bright, I just point the mirror a little lower so that it does not blind me. A friend of mine has sun control film on his mirror, It did seem OK no distortions whatsoever.

The Bajaj Kb100 (delta) had mirrors that were made on tinted glasses. That was in 88-89.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:46   #29
BHPian

I just flick the flipping button below the ORVM to cut out the glare. I thought all cars had these - have seen it even very old cars.
Or is there something iv missed.
Old 17th December 2010, 23:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is definitely going to sound stupid. Can we put the films that we put on the windows on the ORVM? May be that can cut the glare?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks