Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 09:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to reduce the glare on the ORVMs

Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to reduce the glare in my Fiesta's OVRM's of the following cars. Now we know a lot of morons on the road tend to use the high beam during the night drive and this causes a lot a glare on the OVRM's particularly when they are tail gating. To partially reduce the glare the Day/night Inner rear view mirror can be adjusted for the night mode but what could be done for the OVRM's. The glare is so severe it momentarily tends to blind you.

Any one experienced this before? How/what is the solution for the glare reduction?

Mods - I searched the topic in this section, could not find any related threads. In case there exists any, pls merge the same.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:04   #2
BHPian

re: How to reduce the glare on the ORVMs

Very irritating. I wish there was a solution to this. Something similar to the one we have in the inside rear view mirror. Usually I tend to speed up or if they are driving faster, let them go up ahead even if it means I need to slow down, move out and make way!! This is possible on the highways, but inside city, you are doomed!
Old 10th December 2010, 10:19   #3
BHPian

My i10 does not glare as much as my M800. I think some cars are equipped with anti glare ones. It is not as effective as IRVM so I'm not sure.

Get darker tints on your windows as a temporary measure.

Last edited by para_7k : 10th December 2010 at 10:20.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:25   #4
BANNED

I was pondering over the same Dilemna. since I am installing sunfilm tomorrow - is it a good idea to paste sunfilm on the mirrors? 70%VLT windshield quality film should be good no?

Thanks
Old 10th December 2010, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Get darker tints on your windows as a temporary measure.
How can getting darker tints on the windows reduce the glare on the OVRM's. I'm confused. Can you elaborate.

The trouble starts when you are in the city limits and there are some idiotic morons who tail gate you waiting for an oppurtunity to overtake. Since the glare is so hard it becomes difficult to shift lanes to give way. Also the IRVM is already in the night mode so things gets a bit more difficult.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:59   #6
BHPian

Probably a very light colored anti-glare film should do the trick anyone tried it yet?
Old 10th December 2010, 11:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How can getting darker tints on the windows reduce the glare on the OVRM's. I'm confused. Can you elaborate.

The trouble starts when you are in the city limits and there are some idiotic morons who tail gate you waiting for an oppurtunity to overtake. Since the glare is so hard it becomes difficult to shift lanes to give way. Also the IRVM is already in the night mode so things gets a bit more difficult.
There are some anti glare coatings that minimize glare. I saw them here. I haven't tried them.

Welcome to Carzspa

Anyway I told you only as a temporary measure.
Old 10th December 2010, 11:52   #8
BHPian

>>>

Slow down, give way.
Let the (uncouth) driver tailgating you have his/her way.
I do the same - it is wonderful for your blood pressure.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2010, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

If it's a mirror, it will reflect almost all the light falls on it - light from the head lamps behind you is no exception.

It would be good of OVRMs have the same kind of night view that we have in interior RVM - just flip it to night mode and you don't have any more disturbing light reflections. This is not anti-glare, but its a partially reflecting surface made at an angle to the original reflective surface, that reflects only a small portion of light falls on it.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:10   #10
mgh
BHPian

wearing polarising glasses can help
Old 10th December 2010, 12:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Adjust the mirror to angle down slightly. At a particular angle the reflection won't hit your eye directly. That's the only easiest way.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
There are some anti glare coatings that minimize glare. I saw them here. I haven't tried them.

Welcome to Carzspa

Anyway I told you only as a temporary measure.
I had checked with those guys at Thane when I had visited them but that treatment is for the front wind shield only and is useful for opposite side coming traffic glares. Not useful for the traffic behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Adjust the mirror to angle down slightly. At a particular angle the reflection won't hit your eye directly. That's the only easiest way.
In Fiesta since its a motorized OVRM adjustment, bringing the angle down means compromising on the rear view capability. I might start seeing only the rear vehicle tyres.

Why haven't any car manufacturer thought of any solution for this pain?
Old 10th December 2010, 13:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
In Fiesta since its a motorized OVRM adjustment,
Wow! You're so lucky.

Quote:
bringing the angle down means compromising on the rear view capability. I might start seeing only the rear vehicle tyres
You don't have to point it all the way down, just a few mms. The point is to avoid a direct glare; you can't avoid all the lights altogether. Try it first and then comment. It worked on my motorized OHC and my non motorized manually adjustable i10 mirrors and rigid Classic mirrors.

You don't need to see the entire car, you need to know where it's in relation to your vehicle. Even in the day-night IRVM, you just see the lights and nothing else.

It's better to see the tyres than get blinded and see nothing. Anyways, try it, you should see more than the tyres.

Quote:
Why haven't any car manufacturer thought of any solution for this pain?
They have. It's just too expensive. My Merc has auto dimming on the mirrors. But if you break them, be prepared to shell out major $$$ for them.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2010, 11:32   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My car windows wear a dark grey sunfilm and this greatly reduces the glare from high beam champions behind (obviously when the windows are rolled up). In fact, I don't even remember the last time that someone's high beam irritated my eyes.
Old 11th December 2010, 12:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

I try what tejas has mentioned; just try to lower the angle just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My car windows wear a dark grey sunfilm and this greatly reduces the glare from high beam champions behind (obviously when the windows are rolled up). In fact, I don't even remember the last time that someone's high beam irritated my eyes.
Doesn't it work this unfavorably at night; because of the dark sunfilm, the clarity in the OVRM as you see it goes down.

Also, on a similar note, it's equally irritating when the high beam reflects on the rear-view mirror. The guy we went to fit accessories on our cars asked us not to put sunfilm on the rear windscreen because it had a de-fogger. So, when some clown has his high-beam blaring, it gets equally blinding!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks