Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 22:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Hey Jay, Made it back to Trvm? I hope the problem hasn't resurfaced again.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:58   #152
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Hey Captain,

I was of the impression I had mentioned that here. my bad!

The car is safely back and running in TVM now. It has clocked close to 2,000 Kms after the last time the issue reoccurred (after the V.S.S. replacement). No other parts have been changed/serviced with respect this issue after the V.S.S. Just attended the free service camp in B'lore, nothing else. The car seems to be ok now and the ailment seems to have healed on it's own (or lying dormant), or has it?

Will have to wait and see. Hope your car is well and good, cheers!
Old 13th April 2011, 23:36   #153
BANNED

Have you checked the Fuel filter and the sensor beneath, since my lancer gave same problem occassionally, i could not find where is problem, atlast mechanic found while hand pumping the filter, the diesel started pouring from sensor,

The air got in inlet
and the pressure was low due to leak, so those engine off happened only sometime while downshifting. Atlast changed to new sensor since old one's plastic thread was gone, so the leak was.

try it.
Old 16th April 2011, 19:09   #154
Senior - BHPian

This is nothing but a rare occurence due to the ECU cutting off fuel when you depress the clutch. Hypothetically, this should happen once in may be a million downshifts, when the ECU misjudges the fuel cut off stage. During my 3 year stint with the Swift VDI, and 45000 kms driving, this has only happened twice.

If it occurs frequently, then I would suggest that a Ford technician hook up to the ECU and check for error codes.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:50   #155
BHPian

My car has done it again.
The engine died today while in the process of downshifting on pressing the clutch. So after around 2,500 Kms, it has resurfaced to much of my fear.
The car was doing close to 70 Kmph when this happened today, luckily in a straight line.

Considering the previous experiences at the A.S.S. I have zero hope and they would simply play this issue down saying it cannot be reproduced on a trial run. I am thinking of writing a mail to Ford to seek their direct help rather than this trial and error part replacement strategy. 2nd free service is due in 3 weeks time with odo currently reading 9,300 Kms.

@Anilisanil
What's the status of your car now? Any recent happenings with respect to this problem and was your Clutch sensor replaced?
Old 28th April 2011, 11:11   #156
Senior - BHPian

^^ I got my air filter cleaned and did about 1000 KMs after that. Nothing happened as yet. Actually I did not want to mess with the electrical if there was no error code scanned, so did not go with CPP replacement. So as of now no issues.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:48   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
My car has done it again.
The engine died today while in the process of downshifting on pressing the clutch. So after around 2,500 Kms, it has resurfaced to much of my fear.
The car was doing close to 70 Kmph when this happened today, luckily in a straight line.

Considering the previous experiences at the A.S.S. I have zero hope and they would simply play this issue down saying it cannot be reproduced on a trial run. I am thinking of writing a mail to Ford to seek their direct help rather than this trial and error part replacement strategy. 2nd free service is due in 3 weeks time with odo currently reading 9,300 Kms.

Did the A.S.S. guys check the status of the fuel filter?
Old 28th April 2011, 11:53   #158
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

clutch sensor switch problem.

happened to me once in the Scorpio - when shifting to second from third, at slow speed while taking a curve on a traffic laden road. Irritating. Had to switch off and restart and bear with all the chaps behind me honking away in an enraged manner.

The India Garage fellows fixed it as (according to them it was only a minor fault with some sort of sensor switch) - this problem hasnt recurred since.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

happened to me once in the Scorpio - when shifting to second from third, at slow speed while taking a curve on a traffic laden road. Irritating. Had to switch off and restart and bear with all the chaps behind me honking away in an enraged manner.

The India Garage fellows fixed it as (according to them it was only a minor fault with some sort of sensor switch) - this problem hasnt recurred since.
Bang on Shankar ! Used to happen on Guderian till the clutch switch was replaced. I think the Figo too would have the same issue.
M&M and Ford must be getting the switch from the same vendor !
Old 28th April 2011, 12:58   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,

finally posting on this thread. Our Fiesta TDCi which has clocked well over 70Kkm, has recently started facing this issue. This happened during my trip back around early Jan. Since then, have not driven the car so do not know much.

This issue had cropped up recently, around the 73-74Kkm mark. Have had some bad experiences due to the same as well, particularly on the sealink.
It happens whenever the clutch is engaged, and one can take preventive action against it if you are quick enough. In our car, it occurs during down shifts and upshifts.
It is definitely not related to clutch use, A.C., fuel (we fill several other cars from the same tank, and so far no issues).

Eagerly following this thread to see what options are there. If the issue is gone once I am back home, I shall update this thread accordingly.
Will also check out the fuel filter once to make sure, but one thing for sure is that it has shaken my confidence of taking the car out on a long drive.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:14   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Did the A.S.S. guys check the status of the fuel filter?
HI Mustang, could you kindly state what you mean by status of the filter? The A.S.S. claims to have replaced the fuel filter the first time I had taken my car in with this issue. It was around 6,500 Kms. I'm yet to see this service bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Thanks Shankar, I had asked them about the sensor issue which they dismissed saying it should happen more frequently if that is that case. Could you mention how often have you faced this issue before getting it replaced? Or just that single occasion that you mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey guys,

finally posting on this thread. Our Fiesta TDCi which has clocked well over 70Kkm, has recently started facing this issue. This happened during my trip back around early Jan. Since then, have not driven the car so do not know much.

This issue had cropped up recently, around the 73-74Kkm mark. Have had some bad experiences due to the same as well, particularly on the sealink.
It happens whenever the clutch is engaged, and one can take preventive action against it if you are quick enough. In our car, it occurs during down shifts and upshifts.
It is definitely not related to clutch use, A.C., fuel (we fill several other cars from the same tank, and so far no issues).

Eagerly following this thread to see what options are there. If the issue is gone once I am back home, I shall update this thread accordingly.
Will also check out the fuel filter once to make sure, but one thing for sure is that it has shaken my confidence of taking the car out on a long drive.
Seems like the same issue that I am facing only difference being that it started in my car at around 6K compared to the 73K in your's. Sure it has killed the joy in driving it around, what a shame!

It happened again today on way to work. Similar scenario. So altogther it has happened 7 times for me.

Just to mention how helpless (and smart) these A.S.S. are, when I took the car to Lathangi Ford in Bangalore, I had mentioned the issue to be reported as "Car dying while downshifting" and they did the test drive and could not replicate the issue. And on returning to the center after the drive, they told me they could not do anything about this issue since it was not showing up. I had to agree with them and they told me they'll replace the brake pads which were making a griding noise and I also asked them to do the check-up as part of the free service campaign that was going on.

When I went to collect my car, the job description in the job card read
"Free service camp, Noise while braking".
They had conveniently hidden/edited the main reason why that car was taken to the A.S.S. in the first place. I can realise that they could not replicate the issue, they were busy with the overflow of cars coming in for the free camp. But all in all, an issue that should be looked into has been totally neglected. As a customer I'm not at all happy with this. I didn't complain or ask them why the job description was changed. For them I was a one-time customer since I am not residing in Bangalore, but for me, Ford broke my trust.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:19   #162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

once only - about a year and a half ago.
I went the same evening to India Garage and sorted it.
They said it was a sensor switch and set it right without changing it.
Its not recurred again since.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Thanks Shankar, I had asked them about the sensor issue which they dismissed saying it should happen more frequently if that is that case. Could you mention how often have you faced this issue before getting it replaced? Or just that single occasion that you mentioned?
Old 29th April 2011, 11:31   #163
BHPian

Hi Jayded- I think you should write to Ford customer care on custmail@ford.com, alternately can be called on 1800 425 2500. They were of help last time a friend had a similar issue.
Old 30th April 2011, 15:41   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi Jayded- I think you should write to Ford customer care on custmail@ford.com, alternately can be called on 1800 425 2500. They were of help last time a friend had a similar issue.
Hi,

I just did that. I was refraining myself from writing to them but finally managed to send across a mail yesterday and got a call from my A.S.S. today morning. I will be taking my car for inspection on Monday by noon. The mail I had sent Ford was not actually a complain mail, but more of a request to guide the A.S.S. with instructions on how to diagnose/rectify this problem.

If possible could you post here what was the issue your friend's car faced and how was it resolved? Would be really helpful

@shankar
That's comforting to hear that it was solved in your car, hope it get's cleared in mine too. Thanks for the info

Last edited by jayded : 30th April 2011 at 15:43.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

i really dont know if its psychological or sheer coincidence. Just read your previous update on the car shutting down again and i had the same thing happen twice in the next 2 days. Both times i was trying to take a right turn and was shifting the gear.

The only change i can remember of is that i was driving her sedately for over a week now. Hardly saw anything above 2.5K rpm. When i think back now i have a feeling that the last time i experienced the same was when i had not revved her hard for over a week.

I have moved back to my slightly aggressive driving style and the car has been behaving normal.

Could it be the sooth deposit on some sensor causing this.

Last edited by gemithomas : 2nd May 2011 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks