Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 14:09   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post

I spoke to him how the problem is not repeatable and how there are many users who are facing the similar issue.
If the problem is not repeatable then guys like me who are sort of learning to drive, may not even notice it.

Thanks for your efforts guys and do keep posting the updates about this.
Old 27th May 2011, 02:14   #242
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Just wanted to report that it's been close to 600 Kms after the 2 injector replacement and the car has not stalled after that. I'm slowly getting back my confidence in driving my Figo around.
Just to make sure I'm following the instructions clearly, I've been trying to revv the engine above 3,500 RPM for a short duration once a week or so.

I had received 2-3 follow-up calls from the local Ford A.S.S., Kairali Ford, checking how my car is doing post the injector replacements. I didn't expect them to call and check and I appreciate them for what they did. It's kinda reassuring.

Apart from the infamous Figo rattles and squeaks, my car is fine as of now. Will be taking my car in for it's 2nd free service this Saturday.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:02   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Just wanted to report that it's been close to 600 Kms after the 2 injector replacement and the car has not stalled after that. I'm slowly getting back my confidence in driving my Figo around.
Just to make sure I'm following the instructions clearly, I've been trying to revv the engine above 3,500 RPM for a short duration once a week or so.

I had received 2-3 follow-up calls from the local Ford A.S.S., Kairali Ford, checking how my car is doing post the injector replacements. I didn't expect them to call and check and I appreciate them for what they did. It's kinda reassuring.

Apart from the infamous Figo rattles and squeaks, my car is fine as of now. Will be taking my car in for it's 2nd free service this Saturday.

That's good to know, but 600 kms is too less to assess. After they cleaned my air filters it did not stall for 1500 kms or so. But after that it is stalling almost daily!

Edit: Just realized that my post sounded to fear you off, none intended! They are just my observations.

Edit again: Any improved performance or Engine sound after the replacement?

Last edited by anilisanil : 27th May 2011 at 16:04.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:34   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But after that it is stalling almost daily!
You were collating the data base of Owners who had these problems. Did you have the chance to meet up with any of the Ford Engineers to discuss the issue?
Old 27th May 2011, 19:53   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
You were collating the data base of Owners who had these problems. Did you have the chance to meet up with any of the Ford Engineers to discuss the issue?
Yes, I've sent them to the RSM. He Asked me for sometime before he could get back to me. I have sent the mail along with the details of whoever sent me the PM. Will update as soon as I get any reply.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:57   #246
BHPian

Quote:
That's good to know, but 600 kms is too less to assess. After they cleaned my air filters it did not stall for 1500 kms or so. But after that it is stalling almost daily!

Edit: Just realized that my post sounded to fear you off, none intended! They are just my observations.

Edit again: Any improved performance or Engine sound after the replacement?
Yeah I understand from my own experience that it's too early to say it's solved, but just wanted to update on how it's performing now.
There is no noticeable difference in performance of the car after the injector replacements, but I feel the idling sound has increased a tad bit. Hope it reduces after the second service tomorrow.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 20:45   #247
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to Jayded's update. I have done almost 2K km since the last time the problem occurred twice over 2 days. Have been revving around nicely since most of the running was on highways and I have not faced the issue.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:48   #248
BHPian

I faced this once and my car stopped in the middle of NH 47 near alleppey. I recognised that the engine was off from the total lack of noise. I cam back to neutral and cranked the engine. it started and I slotted 4th gear and went off. I do not remember it happening again. So i guess that was a one off incident.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:37   #249
Senior - BHPian

I had a heart in mouth situation. Seriously, I just got saved from what seemed to be a 99% probable crash and that 1% acted for me.

I like pushing my car into the corners and when I find empty roads with corners, I push it. Today when I was doing this corner (I take this route daily), I thought my speed was a bit high for the corner, I intended to downshift and brake. The CAR JUST DIED ON ME when I pressed the clutch!!

The car went on spinning for three times while I literally stood on the brakes. There was no control whatsoever on the steering. Luckily for me there was no motorist and the lonely pedestrian saved himself by standing on the kerb, hugging the sheet metal walls of an under-construction building.

I am literally shivering as I type this.

As I understand the dynamics, I would have had the control of car if it were not to shut down. I agree I was partly at fault, but it was my daily route and was confident, but even then I expect my car to be running in such emergency conditions. Please note the road was completely dry and there is no good reason why I should lose traction. My tires too are pretty much OK.

Jayded: How is your car doing?

Last edited by anilisanil : 5th July 2011 at 11:42.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:44   #250
BANNED

Quote:
I had a heart in mouth situation.
Take care my friend ... did you slam the brakes when you should have eased the pedal down at first before pressing harder and firmer?

--Ragul
Old 5th July 2011, 13:19   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a heart in mouth situation. Seriously, I just got saved from what seemed to be a 99% probable crash and that 1% acted for me.

The CAR JUST DIED ON ME when I pressed the clutch!!

As I understand the dynamics, I would have had the control of car if it were not to shut down. I agree I was partly at fault, but it was my daily route and was confident, but even then I expect my car to be running in such emergency conditions. Please note the road was completely dry and there is no good reason why I should lose traction. My tires too are pretty much OK.

I can relate to it - month and a half ago an idiot had overtaken me on his fully loaded with crap moped and braked right in front of my left lamp - mind just froze and I forgot to even brake (I mean what use would it have been anyway at 1feet). I shivered for two days after that - the man might have died under my Figo.

Coming to your car, I don't know why it died (may be the cause is similar to the problem with downshift stuff) - but then once it died you didn't have ABS, power steering or power breaks. And with no practice of braking without power brakes the amount of braking you though you were applying wouldn't have been enough - in fact I'm not sure you and I can compensate for the lack of power brake with pressure from our feet.

Now for some sermonizing: you must have downshifted and slowed down before you entered the turn. No braking/downshifting must be done during a turn.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I can relate to it - month and a half ago an idiot had overtaken me on his fully loaded with crap moped and braked right in front of my left lamp - mind just froze and I forgot to even brake (I mean what use would it have been anyway at 1feet). I shivered for two days after that - the man might have died under my Figo.

Coming to your car, I don't know why it died (may be the cause is similar to the problem with downshift stuff) - but then once it died you didn't have ABS, power steering or power breaks. And with no practice of braking without power brakes the amount of braking you though you were applying wouldn't have been enough - in fact I'm not sure you and I can compensate for the lack of power brake with pressure from our feet.

Now for some sermonizing: you must have downshifted and slowed down before you entered the turn. No braking/downshifting must be done during a turn.

Well it was not a turn, its just a curve(its a circle at junction of four roads, and I was keeping on the same road before and after the circle so it is not much of a steep curve), and I was doing not more than 60KMPH in fourth gear.

I think when the car shut down, there was not enough traction to over come the engine braking so tires kind of skidded and car started spinning. I seriously do not know what I am to do. This scared the living day lights off me.

@Captain: I am in touch with *** and intend to call the RSM later today. Thanks for your concern and I too really hope something solves this off.

Last edited by anilisanil : 5th July 2011 at 13:37.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:33   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I like pushing my car into the corners and when I find empty roads with corners, I push it. Today when I was doing this corner (I take this route daily), I thought my speed was a bit high for the corner, I intended to downshift and brake. The CAR JUST DIED ON ME when I pressed the clutch!!

The car went on spinning for three times while I literally stood on the brakes. There was no control whatsoever on the steering. Luckily for me there was no motorist and the lonely pedestrian saved himself by standing on the kerb, hugging the sheet metal walls of an under-construction building.

Anil glad no one was hurt and that you are safe, this is really scary for a figo to ""PLAY"" dead like this.

Unlike the other smaller niggles faced by me and some other figo owners this is a life threating problem.
I really pray for you and other figo owners facing this issue that this problem gets sorted out at the earliest.
Anil email the RSM with a link to your post here.

Ragul
When the engine dies the steering and even the brakes will not work to their full strength causing even a greater problem.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:38   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it was not a turn, its just a curve(its a circle at junction of four roads, and I was keeping on the same road before and after the circle so it is not much of a steep curve), and I was doing not more than 60KMPH in fourth gear.

I think when the car shut down, there was not enough traction to over come the engine braking so tires kind of skidded and car started spinning. I seriously do not know what I am to do. This scared the living day lights off me.

I understand now. ABS would be useless for engine braking. This is truly dangerous.

By the way, if you had kept the clutch pressed wouldn't the engine braking gone away? you still wouldn't have ABS etc. but at least you would have steering control and 60 (reduced further by the momentary engine brake) is a high speed, but I guess you can still control the car if the tyres are not skidding and steering works.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:58   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I understand now. ABS would be useless for engine braking. This is truly dangerous.

By the way, if you had kept the clutch pressed wouldn't the engine braking gone away? you still wouldn't have ABS etc. but at least you would have steering control and 60 (reduced further by the momentary engine brake) is a high speed, but I guess you can still control the car if the tyres are not skidding and steering works.
As much as I know myself, I would have released the clutch right after the gear change and may not have realized that the car stalled. And since the road is concrete and is filled with lot of mud, the tires might have lost traction. This is what I am thinking. All this is analysis and I do not recollect a thing happened just before I spun.

All said and done, after the spin I was shocked to see the car was stalled and only then did I understand what went wrong.

I just called up RSM to give a SOS call, he is taking this up with the factory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks