Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 11:32   #361
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

I changed my pump and have had no stalling issues yet since 3 refills. Hopefully it this problem does not resurface again.

Cheers!!!
Old 20th September 2011, 12:07   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

I for one, don't think that the fuel stations have got anything to do with this engine stalling. I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.

This is just my speculation. Ford engineers have to take a call on this. It is unfortunate that Ford, though aware of the problem, is not standing up and taking a stance or corrective measures to address the problem
Old 20th September 2011, 13:38   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I for one, don't think that the fuel stations have got anything to do with this engine stalling. I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.

This is just my speculation. Ford engineers have to take a call on this. It is unfortunate that Ford, though aware of the problem, is not standing up and taking a stance or corrective measures to address the problem
I kind of agree with this. I never had this problem in the first year but since last couple of months I have been experiencing this more than often. I have not changed my fuel pump since I bought this car. Even if I go outof town I still have my favorite pumps so no change on that front at least! I am guessing, it occurs when I try to slow down from say 60+ kmph. I will communicate this with SA during my third servicing which is soon (At 19.2k presently).
Old 20th September 2011, 23:21   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
... I believe it is because of the fault of the delivery pump which supplies fuel to the engine. The problem surfaces only when there's sudden application of clutch and the fuel requirement as earlier does not exist. However, the delivery pump keeps supplying fuel leading to a rich flame out of the engine.
In TDCi engines, the pump may supply the fuel, but that will go only to the common rail. No extra fuel will enter the cylinders unless the injectors let it.

If it is a flameout problem as you are speculating then it is either due to injectors or faulty ECU. It can also be due to rail pressure sensor malfunction.

The pump may be to blame if the problem is the other way round - the engine expects more fuel but doesn't get any.
Old 21st September 2011, 06:57   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
In TDCi engines, the pump may supply the fuel, but that will go only to the common rail. No extra fuel will enter the cylinders unless the injectors let it.

If it is a flameout problem as you are speculating then it is either due to injectors or faulty ECU. It can also be due to rail pressure sensor malfunction.

The pump may be to blame if the problem is the other way round - the engine expects more fuel but doesn't get any.
True. Then the injectors should be the culprit to suspect or even the ECU
Old 21st September 2011, 09:07   #366
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter. I know there's a warning light in the dash but it may not be coming on until the filter is fully clogged. Till then the car may just keep stalling. Worth pumping the water out and seeing.

I'm asking cause they are specifically supposed to do this during every service but they never bother.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:10   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter. I know there's a warning light in the dash but it may not be coming on until the filter is fully clogged. Till then the car may just keep stalling. Worth pumping the water out and seeing.

I'm asking cause they are specifically supposed to do this during every service but they never bother.
I had the car stalling on me just while I was driving from the service center after my 30K service. They just changed my fuel filter as part of the service.

I am not saying that the issue cannot be fuel filter but it should not have happened right after the service if it were the case.
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 15:28   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering but has any of you just tried changing the diesel filter or pumping water out of the filter.
Vid, I had got it done couple of months back. Due to a small hole in the rear bumper water was seeping in my boot and I started getting the "Fuel in Water" warning. The filter & tank was cleaned, but had the stalling issue after that too. It only stopped once I changed the pump.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:56   #369
Team-BHP Support

Man now I got the stalling problem. Car died on my while downshifting from 5th to 4th while I was trying to overtake. Got the beep beep chime as soon as I depressed the clutch, didn't realise so slotted into 4th and released clutch; engine came back to life.

This is the first time ever in 11,700kms this has happened. It happened 5 minutes after I left home means the engine wasn't fully warmed up.
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:47   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man now I got the stalling problem. Car died on my while downshifting from 5th to 4th while I was trying to overtake. Got the beep beep chime as soon as I depressed the clutch, didn't realise so slotted into 4th and released clutch; engine came back to life.

This is the first time ever in 11,700kms this has happened. It happened 5 minutes after I left home means the engine wasn't fully warmed up.
I got it day before yesterday - 3rd to 2nd, clutch depressed, speed must have been over 20 (I was braking) there was traffic ahead and I wasnt sure whether I wanted to slot 2nd or brake a little more and get straight to 1st, so clutch remained depressed.

This was my first time, the car has done 3200km roughly and first service was done @ 2000km roughly.

I'm a member of this club now where nobody wants to be a member.

My theory - it is definitely the ECU doing something (not so) funny.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:09   #371
Senior - BHPian

and there goes the jinx!!! Just as i reported that the issue got resolved by itself the problem surfaced again :(
Old 26th September 2011, 15:45   #372
Senior - BHPian

This thread is scary. I was planning to book a small car and almost finalized either swift/figo/micra and now i see this thread. sends me shiver down my spine. Now hooked to this thread to see if there is any resolution before i book the same
Old 26th September 2011, 19:40   #373
BHPian

Its true!!!! REV your car to 3000rpm everyday for 5 seconds and Figo promises not to stall on you.

I have been waiting for 3000KMS/1month to be completed to tell this to you guys.
My SA asked me to try this soon after the 30K service.
My car is doing 33+ K kms now and I have been following this regime everyday in the morning.

Perhaps somebody else could try it out as well and let the group know if it works.
Old 26th September 2011, 21:23   #374
Senior - BHPian

^^ Did your SA mention any thing about why this practice would work? There has to be some underlying issue which is somehow corrected or hidden temporarily when this practice is followed it seems.
Old 26th September 2011, 23:48   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Did your SA mention any thing about why this practice would work? There has to be some underlying issue which is somehow corrected or hidden temporarily when this practice is followed it seems.
He said it was from his experience. (He owns a figo) and also added that he has been advising others to do the same. I am not saying that this is the ultimate fix but is surely helping me.

Personally I feel there is some problem with the clutch pedal sensor and one or two of the ECU settings. What is it ? that remains to be answered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks