Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:55   #31
BHPian

I think this is just a placebo effect. I personally use turbojet everytime in my Indica and get decent FE (14-15 with 50% AC). I have run around 34K KMs in that car and it gives me consistent FE.
But I have not found any change in the FE when I use regular diesel from the same fuel station.
All fuel stations use adulterated fuels, its only the ratio of adulteration done that determines how u're vehicle performs.
So I guess it is a placebo effect. I should try running my car on regular fuel and check the difference over a period of time.
Old 24th January 2007, 06:19   #32
BANNED

Personally I've found out that the Xtra Mile made the engine lot smoother when compared to ordinary diesels although I didn't calculate the FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
1>. No diffference in mileage between premium and regular fuel.
2>. No difference in Engine performance while using premium or regular fuel.
3>. Additives are present in both regular as well as premium fuels ,just slight difference in concentration.
4>. Engine being free of carbon deposits etc.i.e which fuel ensures longer engine life,no difference whether you use regular or premium fuel.
5>. Adulteration, premium fuels equally adulterated if not more.
Channels will always air blunders just to fill out vacant program slots !!!
Old 24th January 2007, 14:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

some mid-2006 auto magazine came up with an explanation for this.. they explained that for this 'power' fuels will make a big difference in performance or FE only on any engine that has crossed 40k kms. This is due to the carbon deposits on the walls, which is 'washed' by the additives in the premium fuels. So, in a new engine, there may not be a perceptible difference, but for the 40k+ engines, initially it would give big difference, until the carbon deposits are cleaned off(only to a certain level) Practically there is no difference in the combustion values in any typical engine.
Old 24th January 2007, 18:52   #34

I have someone in the family working as a senior manager for HP. I had questioned him about it. He told me there were incidents of malpractice as initially additives were added to the tankers filled up with normal petrol. Then the company started adding the additives to the big storage tanks.
So I guess there is always chances of foul play. As we know we are simply great in trying to make a quick buck!
Also news of random or suprise inspections are leaked out to the petrol pumps much before hand from the Oil companys office before inspections for quality and quantity at particular pumps.
Thats how things still work out here!
Old 27th April 2007, 17:30   #35
BHPian

I've been using IOC Xtramile in my new Indica Turbo. It works just fine. Had to fill up BP Hi-Speed once (due to unavailability of IOC pump near by) and my indica gave a very poor mileage. I don't know why but from then on have been sticking to jus IOC Xtramile. I have never used regular diesel so don't know the difference. My brother used various types of diesel in his old Indica and recommended me Xtramile for decent mileage .

Thanks
Saurabh
Old 27th April 2007, 17:52   #36
BHPian

I think it makes a difference from where you tank-up.

I use BP-High Speed Diesel for my indica, no difference in smoothness though but gives slightly better mileage & pickup(very down side of indica).

On a longtrip to jaiselmer from delhi, i tanked-up at BP airport at delhi, i got a whopping avg of 23kmpl with a/c on, while with second tankup from IOC in rajasthan, i managed to get only 18kmpl & a very very pathetic behaviour, car was struglling to pickup. but got smooth again after 2 tankfulls at back home in delhi.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:14   #37
BHPian

I'm going on my first long trip tomorrow, guess I will check the mileage from Xtramile and BP Hispeed.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

most manafacturers recommend regular diesel and even i stick to regular diesel, especially if your driving a crdi engine.
Old 28th April 2007, 02:10   #39
BHPian

We used to fill normal diesel from IOC , later switched over to x tra mile/super diesel. My father used to tell better than normal diesel, no difference in mileage. Then just for an experiment i filled it with 'hi- speed' diesel from BP. There was noticeable difference in smoothness and noise levels. It had gone down very well.
Old 28th April 2007, 09:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE NOT MENTIONED THEIR CARS I REQUEST YOU TO MENTION YOUR CARS AND MODELS TOO FOR IT HELPS US TO KNOW BETTER AND ADVICE PEOPLE ON THIS TOO.

I personally have am using normal diesel form indian oil for my accent viva CRDi and happy with the performance and the average.

i am getting a steady 16-18kmpl depending on the traffic and the duration of A/C in the city and on highways the car gives me around 22kmpl. so far i have put in 20000kms on my car bought in jan2006(ofcourse maintaining the rpm at 1500 or less in city and around 2000 on highways gives me this average).

i stuck to this diesel for the dealer and several other sevice stations and people adviced me on this for the additive based ones will wreck my fuel injection system! any body using additive ones on their CRDi's please give your experiences.
Old 28th April 2007, 09:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
some mid-2006 auto magazine came up with an explanation for this.. they explained that for this 'power' fuels will make a big difference in performance or FE only on any engine that has crossed 40k kms. This is due to the carbon deposits on the walls, which is 'washed' by the additives in the premium fuels. So, in a new engine, there may not be a perceptible difference, but for the 40k+ engines, initially it would give big difference, until the carbon deposits are cleaned off(only to a certain level) Practically there is no difference in the combustion values in any typical engine.

thanks for this info i also request people to mention the miles/kms they put on their vehicles for better understanding of the same.(if one doesnot want to do so then its their wish.)
Old 28th April 2007, 13:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

These "branded fuels" are no different from their normal counterparts.
The only thing is that htey have additives that are known as surfactants.
These surfactants have benefitial effect of "cleaning/washing" your engine, fuel injectors etc

What this means is that you would see any real advantage only after thousands of kms - when the cardon buildup relaly starts affecting the performace.

Any immediate change in power/mileage/performance is either placebo or the fact that earlier you were getting adulterated fuel.

One more thing is that when going for filling fuel, check out wherther the station is COCO (company owned, company operated). Usually those are least prone to adulteration / metering defects.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:31   #43
BHPian

Am buying a Swift DDi and from reading all the posts on this thread it seems I should not be using Turbojet. I currently drive and Indica and have always used Turbojet and find the engine runs much smoother. Is there any technical reason I should not use premium diesel in a common rail engine.

Thanks!
Kartik
Old 7th May 2007, 03:27   #44
BHPian

ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
most manafacturers recommend regular diesel and even i stick to regular diesel, especially if your driving a crdi engine.
same for skoda.did try the premium ones. then back to reg due to significant diff.
Old 17th June 2007, 06:22   #45
BHPian

Q&A in BL

The Hindu Business Line : Question & Auto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks