Old 30th May 2011, 16:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review

What brand do those tyres belong?
Old 30th May 2011, 20:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO

Ride quality is one area which a normal Van buyer might not consider.
But the question is will the the diesel factor, good ride quality, really spacious interiors work in its favour against its price difference with EECO??

And how much would a DDiS engined EECO cost in case MSIL decided to bring one on road?

As far as venture goes, I am sure its middle AC variant might do well in the TAXI market, but personal users will surely not like the Old engine as you said, and also the van like seating upfront which can be a turn off.

TATA should have given pull down Sun visors to make AC more effective.
They can also provide a face to face seating arrangement in rear in lower variants , like 8 seater omni to use the space lost by the Black cover.

In other variants they could have designed some kind of storage area /foldable table to utilise that space.
Also the space behind rearmost seat is good for a vahicle under 4 mts.

IMO TATA should have stretched the length to just below 4 mts, it could have been used @ front where it feels the most cramped.

It could have looked better with a short bonnet area like EECO, and puely from [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Psychological point of view it feels safer.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Rear light design could have been horizontal instead of being vertical to visually reduce the height of the vehicle.

IMO lack of discs is not a big issue for van segment.
TATA needs to market this vehicle well for it to make decent numbers.
Old 1st June 2011, 03:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The Venture is sold through passenger car dealerships also and can be registered as a private vehicle in BS 3 cities. Pictured here is mid level EX version. I think we can Let this thread be on this section only.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-226514_211166435584316_100000728839436_709670_5570776_n.jpg  

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-222749_211166625584297_100000728839436_709674_1570090_n.jpg  

Old 1st June 2011, 03:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

@Sidindica

I am from mumbai and i have seen Venture on display at CONCORDE - PRABHADEVI since last 3 months at least.

And it looks to be for sale , since last week i saw sales person attending a customer in the showroom for venture,and the customer checking out the vehicle in detail.

Do they have a BS4 variant on display?
And i think they also have a TEST Drive vehicle with them.
Old 1st June 2011, 03:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Is it the same golden one that I saw at the back side of the concorde building in March? Its the BS 3 variant. And the pics posted above are from Garyson Motors, Ludhiana that I took in early may.
Old 1st June 2011, 03:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Now they have a Cream coloured TOP END model on display.
3 months ago they had a mettalic blue Top End one on display.
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:05   #37
BHPian

Did you have a look at the venture in Black colour?

I think it will have potential to be blinged with dark tints, chrome alloys & wider tyres.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 2nd June 2011 at 09:08.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:51   #38
BHPian

Great Review as always SID.

My points on Venture are:-
(+)
1) Its looks very good compared to its competition & looks very Smart for a family VAN. Looks very European.
2) The seats definitely looks and (feel Sid please comment) very comfortable like all TATA Cars.
3) Seats 7 in comfort, all front facing with adjustable back rest.
4) Very airy and wont make the passengers feel claustrophobic.
5) Mature handling, good when compared to Omni.

(-)
1) Disc Brakes, and Must have offered ABS & Air Bags on Higher variant.
2) Dump the TDI totally. Why spend on manufacturing this engine when there is less demand. Instead use India's number one Diesel Engine the MJD - Quadrajet, which it has access to.
3) When will TATA learn, today's India don't like to see bad quality / Fit & Finish. Attention to details... Sack those QC guys. It wont cost much to improve Fit & Finish on production line.
4) TATA obsessed with Weight... (Weight not equal to safety) It gross weight must be around 1.5tonns, not 1.9tonns.
5) Interiors Equipment level are way ahead of its competition, But Could have made the Dash better. As Competition is 2 decads old, but setting bench mark can add to Sales. Why don't TATA pick the dash from the Manza and fix it to this Van. Part sharing will definitely reduce cost of Manufacturing.

Last edited by rajchetan : 2nd June 2011 at 12:52. Reason: adding points
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good show sid, as usual!

This van sure looks gorgeous!

It's interesting to observe that Venture has rear wheel drive. Winger, the other van from Tata, features front wheel drive, Matador-style. But then Winger is a French product, reflecting Renault's rather than Tata's design philosophy.

Sid, did you find out if Venture has a separate, ladder-type chassis? It is derived from Super Ace mini truck, isn't it? Considering the rather high weight rating, I suspect it isn't a monocoque construction.

It's sad Tata is still persisting with the old, underpowered IDI engine. When 1248 CC Fiat engine can develop up to 90 HP (SX-4 diesel, Linea, Manza), the 1396 CC Tata unit ought to develop 100!
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:49   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Great Review as always SID.

3) When will TATA learn, today's India don't like to see bad quality / Fit & Finish. Attention to details... Sack those QC guys. It wont cost much to improve Fit & Finish on production line.

5) Interiors Equipment level are way ahead of its competition, But Could have made the Dash better. As Competition is 2 decads old, but setting bench mark can add to Sales. Why don't TATA pick the dash from the Manza and fix it to this Van. Part sharing will definitely reduce cost of Manufacturing.
I really dont agree with your 3rd point, if that was the case, Maruti would not have been where it is right now

Point 5, i very much agree, and about that Engine... Very much with you I think they can just plonk in that new 3 pot engine from the Fiat stable.

Something about TATA's is that they create a segment in their own, never stereotype unlike their counterparts... Always focuses on space, comfort and VFM....
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I really dont agree with your 3rd point, if that was the case, Maruti would not have been where it is right now

Something about TATA's is that they create a segment in their own, never stereotype unlike their counterparts... Always focuses on space, comfort and VFM....
Maruti problem is that the Quality is Bad, but the fit and finish is lot better, which makes the perception of a well put together car.

Create a segment they do, but then pioneers need to stay ahead, not get eat out by competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Good show sid, as usual!

This van sure looks gorgeous!

It's sad Tata is still persisting with the old, underpowered IDI engine. When 1248 CC Fiat engine can develop up to 90 HP (SX-4 diesel, Linea, Manza), the 1396 CC Tata unit ought to develop 100!
Totally agree with you on the above points.
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:00   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Waiting for the BS4 version to see if any new engine comes on board the Venture.
Other than the single sliding door(we Indians want utility more than safety Tata,away with the Euro safety,or is it cost cutting) and the interior quality mishaps the Venture looks the part. Just change the engine to a more refined and powerful one and correct the price, we have an Eeco killer. yeah,provided Maruti doesn't give the eeco a dieselheart which is unlikely.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:39   #43
BHPian

It Actually has Discs in the front

We seem to be factually misleading/incorrect in some of our statements- Venture has Discs in the front and drums in the rear which is actually a norm in the segment. Many comments like "No Discs" is factually misleading. Lets be more specific. Lets be clear that Venture 'HAS' discs in the front and 'DOESN'T' have discs in the rear which some of us may feel is necessary.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

The tata venture has drum brakes all round. Go and have a look yourself.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The tata venture has drum brakes all round. Go and have a look yourself.
Thanks for the Advise ...... went and had a look and here are the photographs...

There are a few links and roadtests which say the same. Not sure whether the vehicle you test drove was a production version(remember having seen a red plate on the vehicle)

http://www.cardekho.com/specs/Tata_V...cification.htm
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Tata-Venture-sustspunmn
http://www.indiandrives.com/maruti-o...-in-india.html
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-disc-brake.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th June 2011 at 14:28. Reason: removed tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks