Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 22:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Super Ace Angkot unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Tata has taken the wraps off another Super Ace based vehicle - the Super Ace Angkot, at the Indonesia International Motor Show. It looks like a stretched version of the Venture with an extra row of seats and a high roof:

Attachment 1140713

Image and news credit: IAB

Full article can be found at this link:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/09/t...gkot-iims-2013
Eventual replacement for Winger in India?
Old 19th September 2013, 23:42   #92
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Eventual replacement for Winger in India?
In terms of seating capacity, maybe. Otherwise, absolutely not.

The Winger is a monocoque vehicle, albeit an earlier Renault design, which is front-wheel driven with its engine located in a separate engine bay. It was the previous generation Renault Trafic (panel & passenger vans) which was sold in Europe.

In sharp contrast, this vehicle is a crude, unrefined, body-on-frame design which is rear-wheel driven with its engine located under the front seats. It's nothing but an extended wheelbase passenger carrying Super Ace truck.

The two are very different from each other. But yes, they are similar in terms of application. The Super Ace Angkot, because of its ability to cram in about a dozen people, may make sense as a people carrier. The Tata Venture is a miserable flop and deservedly so. No one would want to use it as a personal vehicle, despite Tata sprucing up the looks and providing creature comforts, because it is too crude (high NVH levels) and has pedestrian performance, according to the reviews. By marketing this vehicle as the Venture XLn (where n is the seating capacity), Tata may try to add to its measly sales numbers.

Last edited by RSR : 19th September 2013 at 23:46.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Tata Venture is a miserable flop and deservedly so. No one would want to use it as a personal vehicle, despite Tata sprucing up the looks and providing creature comforts, because it is too crude (high NVH levels) and has pedestrian performance, according to the reviews.
Is there any refresh planned for Venture as part of Horizon Next, or since Venture comes under CV division, the Horizon Next initiative is not applicable? Venture should be relaunched with a modified back and a powerful engine,
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 11:36   #94
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Is there any refresh planned for Venture as part of Horizon Next, or since Venture comes under CV division, the Horizon Next initiative is not applicable? Venture should be relaunched with a modified back and a powerful engine,
The Venture surely has potential, since it is the only diesel vehicle in its segment. Tata should hand over the Venture to the passenger vehicles division from the CV division, and ask them to make it more refined and user-friendly.

In terms of performance there is not much they can do, apart from plonking in the CR4 engine from the Indi-ca/go. This should improve drivability by a decent margin. But performance is never going to be shattering as the Venture is unnecessarily heavy, because of its Super Ace truck chassis.

Refinement is what they should aim to improve drastically. Using sophisticated engine mounts to isolate the passengers from the engine's NVH and utilising massive amounts of sound deadening cum heat absorbing material can also make life easier for the passengers, especially the driver and co-driver. The humungous steering wheel from the Vista should be replaced by a smaller one and the pedals should also be repositioned.

To improve safety, ABS should be made standard along with tubeless tyres and if possible, rear discs should be added. Even something as basic as front discs were included only after strong criticism of the braking provided by the drum brakes all around. The ugly rod of the sliding door mechanism present inside the vehicle is also a safety hazard, IMHO. It should be covered by a plastic housing.

Doing all these things can make it a decent choice as a personal vehicle, given the fact that it has creature comforts such as power steering, power windows, remote central locking, rear A/C vents, better seats etc. which are absent in its chief rival, the Eeco. Despite the lack of all these, the Eeco is a better personal vehicle right now, because of its refinement (much better NVH & heat insulation), better safety (presence of a front crumple zone) and car-like performance, thanks to its Esteem-derived engine and a good power-to-weight ratio.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 22:01   #95
BHPian

Re: Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Venture failed due to lack of marketing around it, IMHO. Lot of people don't even know this product exists.

They should launch it with the CR4 engine from the Indica/go sooner than later backed with a heavy marketing/advertising pitch. It'll definitely be a good alternative to the Eeco, if not to the upcoming AL Stile.
This van/car is really a practical and utility oriented one. Few points I felt a bit as turn off is - the spacing of pedals, it should have been a bit wider than the Ace. I know they have reused the platform, but for a self driven mini-van where they need to attract people looking for something between Innova and a car, they need to be a bit more considerate in bringing more quality.

Overall a very good vehicle but yes, poorly marketed.
Old 8th December 2013, 02:15   #96
BHPian

Don't know how good the vehicle really is, since I have never driven/travelled in one.but I agree on one thing.The vehicle is poorly marketed. Many of the folks are not even aware of such a vehicle from Tata. And guess what, some of my friends don't even know that Tata has another van named Winger. I don't know why Tata has this step-motherly treatment to some of its products. On one hand they are spending crores to promote the super-flop nano with so much ads and other marketing stuff. Why can't they spend a fraction of that on these products as well, atleast to make people aware that such a model has been launched?
Old 18th March 2014, 17:53   #97
BHPian

Indonesia – Tata Super Ace ‘Angkot’ launching this month, gets 300 pre-orders

Quote:
Tata Motors Indonesia will be launching the Tata Super Ace Angkot (Angkot is a name given to last mile people carriers in Indonesia) this month. Described as a minibus by the Indonesian media, the Angkot is targeting a few urban and many rural areas in Indonesia.
Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tatasuperaceangkotrear.jpg
These taillights may be the lucky charm!

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/03/t...s-month-125217

Last edited by amolbh : 18th March 2014 at 17:56.
amolbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Is the production of the Venture stopped? Or it is only available for commercial purposes now?
Old 14th June 2018, 12:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

I have not been able to find any review or information about the facelift of Tata Venture which was launched a few years back with Disc Brakes up front and a new Engine Cover in front of the 2nd row, which had Cup Holders on top. I am attaching a few pics of the Brochure scan of Tata Venture before it got discontinued, I am presuming that it is not sold anymore as the website is gone and there is no mention of it on the Tata Motors web page as well. I remember that I went to a commercial Tata Motors showroom in Dehradun in the 2nd half of last year and they were least interested to tell me the details of Tata Venture or Tata Winger Platinum. If only Tata can launch their latest versions with basic safety features, better engine and maybe Petrol options as well this time, I am sure that the market now is more open to MPVs than it was in 2010-11 when Venture was initially launched.

I for one love the looks and interiors of the latest version (as per the brochure scans). It will be hard to convince my family to buy such a thing, but keeping practicality in mind, I love budget MPVs and Station Wagons, may wait for Renault RBC project as well, if Datsun Cross or Maruti WagonR 7 Seater aren't launched soon. But a modern and safer Maruti Eeco and newer versions of Tata Venture can still alter my decisions when I enter the market for a 5+2 seater by this year end, or early next year.

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tata-venture-brochure-page-1.jpg

Not much got changed up front with the update back then.

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tata-venture-brochure-page-2.jpg

The dashboard color changed to full Beige from a mix of Beige and Black. The Engine Cover in front of the 2nd row of seats got Mobile Holder spaces and Bottle/Cup Holders for added convenience.

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tata-venture-brochure-page-3.jpg

The claimed Fuel Efficiency of Venture is 15.42KMPL. It has a Frontal Crash Tested body with Side Intrusion Beams and Crumple Zones. Rear Washer/Wiper/Demister is a nice addition usually not found in budget MPVs. Company fitted Kenwood Music System with 4 speakers and Roof Mounted AC Vents for 2nd and 3rd row is a good thing for a car this big, the front AC vents alone would have taken ages to keep the cabin cool. I for one love the Butterfly type Front Windshield Wipers, as in Honda Civic, Tata Aria/Hexa and Tata Venture, looks cool in action. Though integrated spray jets kind of disappointed me in my Tata Nano, leave so much dry part that the wipers don't clean the area completely where the jets don't spray water. Thoughtful of Tata to provide front Fog Lamps and at least 2 Rear Parking Sensors with Audio Warning in a vehicle of this size.

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tata-venture-brochure-page-4a.jpg

As per the brochure, the Engine (4 Cylinder IDI Diesel Engine with Turbocharger and Intercooler) now is standard with 70HP/135NM outputs in all 3 variants. LX can be had with 7 and 8 front facing seats, while EX and GX models have the options of 7 (front facing and optional captain seats) and 8 (front facing) seats. Front Suspension has Anti Roll Bar, a must for vehicle of this height and small footprint. Venture has Vacuum Assisted Independent Hydraulic Brakes (front Disc and rear Drum). Ground Clearance is at 160mm.

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-tata-venture-brochure-page-4b.jpg

Comes in 6 colors in all, Ivory White, Arctic White, Champagne Gold, School Yellow, Lunar Silver and Glossy Black.

While I was in Mussoorie, I could occasionally see a Tata Venture going up with a full family sitting inside or tourists travelling together and it felt so good to see another under-powered vehicle, apart from my Nano, giving all it has to keep the occupants happy and taking them to places in the comfort of 1 car and mileage of Diesel engine at cheaper prices. I so so wish that Tata re-launches the Venture with a better engine (and maybe a Petrol 1.2L unit from Nexon ) at a competitive price to wage a war against Maruti Eeco 7 seater, Datsun Go Plus / Datsun Cross, Renault RBC, Maruti WagonR 7 Seater, etc. and revive the budget MPV market with a VFM offering.

The 2 years or 75000 kilometers warranty continued as such.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 23:01   #100
Senior - BHPian

IndianAutosBlog has shared a speculative render of the next gen Tata Venture based on the Tata Intra showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo, here (link - https://indianautosblog.com/2018/07/...ing-311279/amp)

The rendering is by our very own SRK and looks very interesting. I for one do wish that Tata launches a successor to the Tata Venture, but this time with better Active and Passive Safety Features as a rival to Maruti's WagonR 7 seater, Datsun Go Plus, Renault RBC and Maruti Eeco.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-1532971873359.jpg  

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 30th July 2018 at 23:02.
Old 30th August 2020, 20:49   #101

The venture, now dead has always fascinated me. Minivans are a rage across south Asia. Srilanka is teaming with used Toyota minivans. . The huge success of the omni and the continued success of the Eeco tell me the market in India is there. So a larger minivan, perhaps diesel or even electric, safe, reasonably priced could still work. The Intra has been recently upgraded. Its BS6 compliant, apparently meets safety norms. A minivan on its base does not seem far fetched. Tata does have electric commercial vehicles ,so an electric venture is not fantasy either.
Old 30th August 2020, 21:40   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcarlover View Post
The venture, now dead has always fascinated me. Minivans are a rage across south Asia. Srilanka is teaming with used Toyota minivans. . The huge success of the omni and the continued success of the Eeco tell me the market in India is there. So a larger minivan, perhaps diesel or even electric, safe, reasonably priced could still work. The Intra has been recently upgraded. Its BS6 compliant, apparently meets safety norms. A minivan on its base does not seem far fetched. Tata does have electric commercial vehicles ,so an electric venture is not fantasy either.
Another fuel option is CNG - it's more economical too compared to petrol / diesel which are scaling new heights these days.

Tata have had CNG versions of their vehicles right from the Nano / Iris to their HCV's, so the know how, vendor supply chain etc. is already there to implement if they want to.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 07:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

This was always an unlikely thread for me to check in. I always loved vans and have an Omni too but never ever considered buying a Venture. But this car which belongs to a friend made me lose sleep since last two days and now I'm hunting for one

Hopefully, I may land up with one soon. Needless to say, i've read the review couple of times. Thanks Sid.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-20220710_220503.jpg  

Tata Venture 1.4 TDi: Test Drive and Review-20220710_220044.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 07:47   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Hopefully, I may land up with one soon.
Guess you would have checked Olx - there are a few on sale around here. How do I know ? I checked the ads a few days back .. and now you post this.

How is it to drive ? Have a thought to check it out
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 08:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guess you would have checked Olx - there are a few on sale around here. How do I know ? I checked the ads a few days back .. and now you post this.

How is it to drive ? Have a thought to check it out
Don't tell me you're shelving the Gypsy plan and looking for this.

Btw I'm hunting for it in Kochi, shortlisted a couple of them. Fingers crossed.

i've driven 4-5 of them in the last one week. It's a typical van. Few standout impressions are it's suspension is super soft and comfy, just gobbles up all those big gutters and potholes without any fuss though you're sitting right on top of the wheels. Zero load at the rear means it's constantly bobbing. Driving position is akin to Omni, but much higher up and looking down. The turning radius is insane, even better than Omni I felt. It can literally squeeze through the narrowest of lanes and take 180° turns in a jiffy. The glass house is huge, there's nothing you'll miss out on the road while at it's wheels. Steering is pretty nice and direct, the car is so very lovely to drive for those who enjoy driving vans. You're asking for trouble if one gets too playful unlike in an Omni which is much more planted than this. Engine is lethargic which is a known thing.

My intention is to own and enjoy driving it for few months. If I find it fairly reliable, I'm nursing the thought of making it a mini camper van.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th July 2022 at 09:05.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks