Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 02:46   #151
BANNED

Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am surprised at the service costs. My VDi (one lakh kms) service has never costed me more than 5200 (includes engine flush and gear oil additive but excludes WA and WB), except for the time when I replaced the brake pads.

The 10k, 30k etc services include only an oil & oil filter change. Should not be more than 1800 at the max.
Same here for both the 10k & 20k interval services. Mine is a VXi-ABS.

Maybe the OP is paying for additives, coatings & what not.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:24   #152
BHPian

TSK, three hot selling diesel hatches i would take are : The Polo, The Figo and most predictively The New Swift. Why don't you wait for the Swift ? The Swift will be low maintenance and would probabily have the 'button start' and also have a good resale value. On the other hand if you just can't wait, go for the German Polo for more driving pleasure !

As for the Fabia, i am a bit sceptical but having said that, i have an old school Octavia TPI which has done about 29,000 km and has given me NO problems (so far ).
Old 11th July 2011, 11:30   #153
BHPian

@tsk1979

Hillarious account. You definitely have your inner jingle going well. Congrats!

I used to have a Indigo LX Diesel (does anything more need to be said?) and a friend of mine got himself a second hand Indica Diesel (the taxi version).

Mine was called the 747 and his was the 737.

Given the 'superb' visibility and navigation, combined with the acceleration (was it even there?), we concluded that both cars were covert national team building efforts of TATA. Think about it, you need atleast 4 people to steer them clear on a jam packed road - each with their head outside the window shouting the "right right" (sometimes could be a rwoich rwoich with a hint of a foreign accent?!) clearance signal to the harried driver.

Our second car bought after two years of the Indigo was a Hyundai Santro Xing. It has been a zero irritation car and awesome to cramp into a non-existant parking spot. My 11 month old daughter loves the front dashboard (that she can rest her feet on) and I like the blank pedal.

I drove one of the earliest Swifts of the diesel kind (CRDi/DiCOR or whatever else they wish to call it) from Chennai to Pondy and back. I loved the handling, the road stance and the economy. The A/C was commendable too.

I recently TDed the "Buffalo" (Swift Dzire) and wouldn't call the experience as very nice. The interiors looked cheaper and it always had a certain positive "pitch" like an aircraft. I have observed that the front wheels are quite a distance away from the body compared to it's ancestor.

When I saved up enough money and got all the necessary approvals from family, I traded the Indigo for a "baby BMW" - its also called the Ford Fiesta SXi in Moonstone silver. Still trying to figure out how to have the brilliant white LEDs fixed to it. Its a lovely baby and I love it a lot! I took her out to Maddur for breakfast yesterday and she was effortless and in flow.

If I were to buy a new car to replace the Santro, I would go for the Swift Diesel.

Regards,
NagaSid
Old 11th July 2011, 13:10   #154
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, firstly I have been tuned into your post ever since it emerged in the forum some time ago. I must say it has been truly entertaining from the day one. Now I believe this is a great way to go shopping for a car and receive some sound advice and opinions from all our TBHP tribe on the way. I will follow this best practice as well when I start shopping for my diesel sedan next year.

On this note this is my fuel to the thought fire on the top contenders in current diesel hatches that you have and have not been evaluating. Also trying to clear your thoughts with a ranking of these oil burners -

Swift- The new Swift is worth checking out, the two big changes reported are re-tuned Petrol and Diesel hearts to belt out our favourite word FE. Better mileage and more rear legroom may be the two major differences of the new (upgraded) Swift. However the pricing is expected to be up by 20-30k and adding a ZDi will not help it bring down either. So wait to see if there are any surprise in prices as well.

Ritz- Your mind seems to be near there on this one and for all the requirements listed earlier this one will fit the bill almost. Albeit the rear looks and a little bumpy ride, there is pretty much nothing else that can change the game here. As said earlier the new Swift may just widen the price gap to make this more compelling. Also personally I have always liked tall boys (aka. Santro, SX4 and MUVs/ SUVs) for ease of comfort even just to get in and out of the vehicle. Believe me my dad struggles in our M800 even to get in and out. If you have elderly folks you will know it well.

i20- This is one of the best Hyundai’s available in our country. Solid build and all but the lackluster performance of the 1.4 CRDi with low mileage (compared to the National Diesel hearts), lower GC and height would strike it off my list. Especially if you are on the highway runs as you mentioned with bad roads, this is not the one.

Polo and Fabia- Good solids Germans (and its sibling) but the rear legroom is glaringly missing and add to it a 3 pot turbo mills would take it back a step in the league of diesel hatches. Adding to it Spartan service centers with high cost of spares, who would like to keep pouring cash just to keep them running. As an afterthought you can TD a Fabia and see what you think about it compared to a Swift (kind a clones)

Figo- A VFM offering in a re-skinned old gen Fiesta with the same engines. The car needs wringing its neck hard to keep sprinting and would heat up your head even though your body gets frozen by a chiller (A/c). It may be a good city car but I guess a little out of place in long runs with low GC and height. I think it’s definitely out of your mind for sure.

Punto and Vista – My relative has a Punto Emotion pack and completely gone crazy about it. Got nearly divorced with his fairer half for shifting his total attention to this Italian beauty. It’s really a good car with the only fly in the ointment being TASS. However the price may also be a bit north to your liking and the 90 BHP is the recommended one for sure. What a car. Just check it out for the kicks. The Vista is the poorer cousin and a true VFM. It would be a great choice if not for the MSILs which offer the same value propositions. Hence Vista can be taken out of the equation.
Not the least I would rank these options to make it clearer (keeping your needs in mind)
Rank 1 – Ritz VDi (with ABS) – fit the bill nearly perfectly with peace of mind guaranteed
Rank 2 – Swift – Good car may get even better, just that it may cost better as well
Rank 3 – Punto – Great car on highways with a familiar TASS which may be actually ok
Rank 4 – Vista – VFM all the way. Good heart but other niggling issues may crop up
Rank 5 – i20 – Plush city car if you have the pocket to shell out to keep it running
Rank 6 – Fabia/ Polo – Sibling rivalries with same heart and same characteristics
Hope this clears some air around you or does it clog further. Happy shopping!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th July 2011 at 13:13. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also do a preview before posting thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 13:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Punto and Vista – My relative has a Punto Emotion pack and completely gone crazy about it. Got nearly divorced with his fairer half for shifting his total attention to this Italian beauty. It’s really a good car with the only fly in the ointment being TASS. However the price may also be a bit north to your liking and the 90 BHP is the recommended one for sure. What a car. Just check it out for the kicks.

Rank 1 – Ritz VDi (with ABS) – fit the bill nearly perfectly with peace of mind guaranteed
Rank 2 – Swift – Good car may get even better, just that it may cost better as well
Rank 3 – Punto – Great car on highways with a familiar TASS which may be actually ok
Rank 4 – Vista – VFM all the way. Good heart but other niggling issues may crop up
Rank 5 – i20 – Plush city car if you have the pocket to shell out to keep it running
Rank 6 – Fabia/ Polo – Sibling rivalries with same heart and same characteristics
Hope this clears some air around you or does it clog further. Happy shopping!!!
Girish,

Who would like to buy a car if there are chances of getting divorced?

Anyways, jokes apart, now Ritz is out of Tanveer's list. We should wait for an update from him.

@Tanveer - You have already got an experience of TASS with your white elephant so why not go for a TATA-FIAT again?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 11th July 2011, 14:42   #156
Senior - BHPian

Oh did Tsk rule out Ritz. I guess I missed some of the posts then in between. Now its all about the battle between the heart and mind! Lets see what wins!!
Old 11th July 2011, 16:21   #157
Senior - BHPian

Excellent post, loved reading it cover-to-cover. I guess you have either TD'ed all the cars in that segment or completely ruled them out. I personally liked the Swift more than Ritz, maybe the new one of worth waiting for, but Ritz isn't bad either if you ignore the rear.

I have seen the new Vistas owners a happy lot and maybe its worth a try, but i would agree having one Tata in the house is sufficient and hence trying another manufacturer would better. On a second thought maybe Liva will be worth a wait.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:57   #158
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, where are you ???

we are waiting for the TD of tata cars and others you did on weekend.
Old 11th July 2011, 18:11   #159
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, our F5 buttons are about to break. The peanut gallery demands entertainment. This teasing business must stop - share the next phase of the TD reports now - we are all waiting with bated breath
Old 11th July 2011, 21:44   #160
BHPian

With the latest offers on petrol cars, the same question for a diesel hatch/entry level sedan buyer ?

1. Am I sure that a diesel is required ?

Now with the reported price cut of 1.75 lakh, isn't it time have a look at Jazz!

Last edited by breezydrive : 11th July 2011 at 21:45.
Old 12th July 2011, 00:17   #161
Team-BHP Support

First post updated
Speaking of petrol 2010 Micra petrol top model is available for 1 lakh discount with Dada motors Ludhiana.

Link to latest TDs ->
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2416270 (When truck drivers go hatch hopping)
Old 12th July 2011, 00:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
First post updated
Speaking of petrol 2010 Micra petrol top model is available for 1 lakh discount with Dada motors Ludhiana.

Link to latest TDs ->
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2416270 (When truck drivers go hatch hopping)
Tanveer,

If Micra petrol is also in the queue than why not Honda Jazz with the latest price cut?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 12th July 2011, 02:58   #163
BHPian

Tanveer there is good news for like us who are hatch hunting in the market, and I'm sure you must have heard about the 'Jazz' that's doing the rounds. Was wondering if you want to re-consider your shopping list with a Jazz included as well, cause I am doing the same
Old 12th July 2011, 08:21   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Tanveer,

If Micra petrol is also in the queue than why not Honda Jazz with the latest price cut?

Cheers!
Irish
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
Tanveer there is good news for like us who are hatch hunting in the market, and I'm sure you must have heard about the 'Jazz' that's doing the rounds. Was wondering if you want to re-consider your shopping list with a Jazz included as well, cause I am doing the same
Micra petrol is not in the queue. I was just giving additional info
Old 12th July 2011, 10:57   #165
BHPian

Excellent account TSK. You should seriously consider writing as a career option.

The Micra is built tough. Just back from a weekend trip to Mt. Abu, and the car was surely comfortable. Easy Ingress/Egress, sufficient space (One of the passengers was 6'2" and he had no travel fatigue).

We managed to slip the car off the road while taking a U-turn and in the rain there was no traction to get it back up. After a major circus of trying to put rocks to make a ramp, 10-people trying to lift the front, etc, we tried to push it totally off the road and onto a kuchha track. Pushed the car off the road with the underbody scraping the edge, but there was no evidence of any kind of scratch when we checked later.

The boot space was enough to carry 6-7 backpacks and a bit more.

Braking didnt seem to be a problem, and high speed stability was awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks