Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 17:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Congratulations again on the purchases, Starchild! And thanks for the awesomely detailed comparison!

Your observations completely match mine when I got the Vento. The interiors exudes class. Also VW has taken care to provide the best things wherever possible without skimping on quality, even if they had to leave out quite a few gimmicky items (steering controls, etc.), to keep the costs in control. Though would have paid more for a better music system.

Nice to know that the Fiesta is still a driver's car, though appalled by the plastic quality laid bare by the comparo photos. I certainly don't regret my decision to stop waiting for the NFF before I plunked my money into the VW badge.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Great details for the interiors. Absolutely awesome!

A detailed comparo regarding performance and ride & handling is pending. Do post these after you get accustomed to both.

This is not to discourage you by any means but a general query, why did you opt for petrol for either. I felt diesel was a better car to drive with both Vento and Fiesta. Specially with Vento.
May be I am a diesel fan.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:00   #18
BHPian

Starchild, that is an awesome comparo!! Hats off for taking the effort to covering all the minute details! It's these fine points that add up and give the VW an advantage.

If I had to pick between the two, it would definitely be the VW, because it feels more upmarket than the Ford. That footwell comparo pic and the bonnet release between the two says a lot!

Again, thanks for the comparo and enjoy the rides!
Old 21st August 2011, 20:41   #19
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post
NFS driver side floor mats are meant to have a locking system to keep them is place, hence these holes.

Hey where are the locks. Did they forget about them?

Attachment 595928
I was surprised reading this as the Official Test Drive of NFS by Rehaan shows the mat locks in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
[b]
Locking latch system on the floor-mat prevents it from sliding out of place
You should check with your dealer for the missing mat locks
Old 21st August 2011, 20:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic attention to detail. Looking forward for continuous update of this thread
Old 21st August 2011, 21:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very detailed pictorial comparison report, just fantastic Starchild. I can imagine the effort that you would have put in compiling this report, hats off to you. Similar to your fiesta thread, I found your comments very honest, straightforward and unbiased. Thank you very much for sharing it with all of us.

Couple of questions on the vento music system - Do you have a seperate microphone installed for the audio system or the one integerated into the system suffices the need? Does this system come with RCA/pre-outs and if so how many? Please keep this updated with your experience through your ownership period if possible.
Old 21st August 2011, 21:15   #22
BHPian

Excellent Comparo with all those detailed snaps. (My awful ISP took ages to download all that :()
Ford should really pull up its pants to improve the interiors.
Old 21st August 2011, 21:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Great comparison Starchild as you had promised. Which is your personal favourite?

I must say that the comparison with pics has given an insight to both the vehicle and should help many a users. Can you highlight on the maintenance part comparison too please.

Rated the thread 5 stars.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:45   #24
BHPian

Superb Starchild!!!!!!
I have forwarded this thread to all my friends, this is the best comparison I have ever seen, explained wonderfully with Pics

On a different note, looked at the comparison on Car n Bike show on NDTV this Sunday, the comparison was between NFS, ANHC nad New Verna. Was surprised how can they kick out Vento from this comparison.

Though I strongly believe that their reviews and comparisons are highly biased
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife had been cribbing a lot ever since she joined a big MNC, at a senior post, that she doesn’t like being seen scurrying about in our diminutive Santro. She desperately wanted a bigger car. I had been dilly dallying on this for a while till once, when I went to pick her up and she asked me to park a good 100 meters away, preferring to walk up to the Santro rather than have me pick her up from her office porch. Well that was it; I had to stop being a miser and take the plunge.
HA HA! Superb! Being a Dilliwala, I know exactly what your wife is talking about. In Delhi, if you are some sort of manager and travel in poor car, most people think that there are some issues with you

Man! In Bangalore, I know many senior managers who commute by bike on daily basis. I know 'weather conditions' (worse in Delhi) and 'traffic conditions' (much worse in Bangalore) are also factors, but 'mindset is the most distinguishing factor. Don't know which thinking is better but there is a huge difference in the way people think.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd August 2011 at 12:06.
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Rated 5 stars! You have indeed taken a lot of effort to compile this thread. Kudos!

This thread will be very useful to many in the What Car forum and should be a sticky.
Edit: Performance, Ride and Handling reviews from you would be a nice read.

Last edited by S_U_N : 22nd August 2011 at 16:06.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Good head-to-head comparo drawn from personal experience, Starchild. Great stuff!

I have the Vento petrol too, but in AT. A little surprised to hear you say the engine is noisy. Some mornings I actually have to double check that the engine has come on when I have cranked it because I have no aural cues!

Agree that slotting the ignition is a little hard primarily because of the steering lock.

You have captured the little things very well. I absolutely love the way the Veedub lights up like a Christmas tree when I park. No rear rooflamps (as in the NFF) is absolutely unthinkable for me now!
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Congratulations again on the purchases, Starchild! And thanks for the awesomely detailed comparison!

Your observations completely match mine when I got the Vento. The interiors exudes class. Also VW has taken care to provide the best things wherever possible without skimping on quality, even if they had to leave out quite a few gimmicky items (steering controls, etc.), to keep the costs in control. Though would have paid more for a better music system.

Nice to know that the Fiesta is still a driver's car, though appalled by the plastic quality laid bare by the comparo photos. I certainly don't regret my decision to stop waiting for the NFF before I plunked my money into the VW badge.
Thanks nileshch! Considering the overall quality it almost seems VW suddenly realised that their margins have thinned and plonked the standard ICE as a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Great details for the interiors. Absolutely awesome!

A detailed comparo regarding performance and ride & handling is pending. Do post these after you get accustomed to both.

This is not to discourage you by any means but a general query, why did you opt for petrol for either. I felt diesel was a better car to drive with both Vento and Fiesta. Specially with Vento.
May be I am a diesel fan.
Thanks oxyzen! I agree the diesel has a lot more kick, but how often do you get to enjoy that? Driving hard will also kill the FE advantage. Then you have the NVH aspect as well as the 1.4L price difference so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Starchild, that is an awesome comparo!! Hats off for taking the effort to covering all the minute details! It's these fine points that add up and give the VW an advantage.

If I had to pick between the two, it would definitely be the VW, because it feels more upmarket than the Ford. That footwell comparo pic and the bonnet release between the two says a lot!

Again, thanks for the comparo and enjoy the rides!
Thanks GG! The review took a while but the comments make it worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I was surprised reading this as the Official Test Drive of NFS by Rehaan shows the mat locks in place

You should check with your dealer for the missing mat locks
I did and got the standard reply "Sir, company se hi aisa aa raha hai"
Another victim of cost cutting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Fantastic attention to detail. Looking forward for continuous update of this thread
Thanks and will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Very detailed pictorial comparison report, just fantastic Starchild. I can imagine the effort that you would have put in compiling this report, hats off to you. Similar to your fiesta thread, I found your comments very honest, straightforward and unbiased. Thank you very much for sharing it with all of us.

Couple of questions on the vento music system - Do you have a seperate microphone installed for the audio system or the one integerated into the system suffices the need? Does this system come with RCA/pre-outs and if so how many? Please keep this updated with your experience through your ownership period if possible.
Thanks a lot bala for the compliments, they really mean a lot! No separate mic required! The integrated mic, a pin prick, is excellent. You don't even have to raise you voice just speak as if the other person is sitting next to you! There is nothing in the manual about the RCA/pre-outs. I saw the rear of the ICE when I was getting the cam installed. There were quite a few sockets empty, i'm sure it must be having audio/video out. But what would you do with those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Excellent Comparo with all those detailed snaps. (My awful ISP took ages to download all that :()
Ford should really pull up its pants to improve the interiors.
Thanks Utopian! Glad you had the patience .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Great comparison Starchild as you had promised. Which is your personal favourite?

I must say that the comparison with pics has given an insight to both the vehicle and should help many a users. Can you highlight on the maintenance part comparison too please.

Rated the thread 5 stars.
Umm...please don't make me say it please...my dad would kill me if I did.
The Vento's service is a long while away at 15k KMS the Fiesta's is at 2.5k so will update when that's done. Thanks for the rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Superb Starchild!!!!!!
I have forwarded this thread to all my friends, this is the best comparison I have ever seen, explained wonderfully with Pics

On a different note, looked at the comparison on Car n Bike show on NDTV this Sunday, the comparison was between NFS, ANHC nad New Verna. Was surprised how can they kick out Vento from this comparison.

Though I strongly believe that their reviews and comparisons are highly biased
Hey wow! Thanks shantanu. They probably left the Vento out to prevent the other cars from looking bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
HA HA! Superb! Being a Dilliwala, I know exactly what your wife is talking about. In Delhi, if you are some sort of manager and travel in poor car, most people think that there are some issues with you

Man! In Bangalore, I know many senior managers who commute by bike on daily basis. I know 'weather conditions' (worse in Delhi) and 'traffic conditions' (much worse in Bangalore) are also factors, but 'mindset is the most distinguishing factor. Don't know which thinking is better but there is a huge difference in the way people think.
This 'mindset' is what drives the consumer society!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Rated 5 stars! You have indeed taken a lot of effort to compile this thread. Kudos!

This thread will be very useful to many in the What Car forum and should be a sticky.
Edit: Performance, Ride and Handling reviews from you would be a nice read.
Honoured! Will definitely keep adding to the thread.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Good head-to-head comparo drawn from personal experience, Starchild. Great stuff!

I have the Vento petrol too, but in AT. A little surprised to hear you say the engine is noisy. Some mornings I actually have to double check that the engine has come on when I have cranked it because I have no aural cues!

Agree that slotting the ignition is a little hard primarily because of the steering lock.

You have captured the little things very well. I absolutely love the way the Veedub lights up like a Christmas tree when I park. No rear rooflamps (as in the NFF) is absolutely unthinkable for me now!
Thanks noopster! I'm thinking of getting the noise checked out. Everything the Vento does it does in style. Just take the door/window lock switches and the fog light indicator light, love the way the colour changes from red to yellow/green. That's just classy! The omission of the rear roof lamps was noticed during the comparo. I felt really sick about it!
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post
Thanks oxyzen! I agree the diesel has a lot more kick, but how often do you get to enjoy that? Driving hard will also kill the FE advantage. Then you have the NVH aspect as well as the 1.4L price difference so...
In a diesel you enjoy it more. All the torque of the world comes at a very low RPM. In the rev range between 2000-4000 diesel is the undisputed winner. Petrols on the other hand has the advantage of high revving. 5000+, in a Kseries 6000+ something that diesels can dream about. You in a diesel you can enjoy the kick. Thats why they are called more drivable.

Regarding FE diesels are inherently more fuel effecient. If your petrol delivers 12Kmpl, Diesel will deliver 16Kmpl. Drive it hard, petrol's efficiency can go down to 8Kmpl. and that is a 33% reduction. In a diesel with hard driving it will at max drop to 12kmpl. Drop is only 25%. But the point is if it is a diesel you will not care. Damn petrol is more than 1.5X costlier than diesel. So why care?

Now NVH is a valid point and is is somewhere diesels have no answer.

For the price diffference 1.4L is a huge amount. But if your monthly fuel bills will also be less. And the diesels will almost retain the extra 1.4L price difference at resale. You just need to look at the usage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks