Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:15   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Currently, the fuel computer indicates that I am using ~12.3 lit / 100km, which works out to 8.13 kmpl. My Ikon used to give 8.75 - 9.5 kmpl . During delivery, the lit / 100km reading was north of 16 and has been making its way down to12.3 now... So, hopefully, I think it would improve. If I get it below 10, it should be good I guess. I have not done the calculation using the full tank, km run method yet. Will post in the actuals once I fill up again.
Congratulations hypermiler on your new car. It will be great if you can post up an ownership thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:27   #77
BHPian

Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Quote:
Currently, the fuel computer indicates that I am using ~12.3 lit / 100km, which works out to 8.13 kmpl. My Ikon used to give 8.75 - 9.5 kmpl . During delivery, the lit / 100km reading was north of 16 and has been making its way down to12.3 now... So, hopefully, I think it would improve. If I get it below 10, it should be good I guess. I have not done the calculation using the full tank, km run method yet. Will post in the actuals once I fill up again.

it is best to calculae milage on full tank to full tank basis. The on board computers, although a good source of information, will give you a misleading information as its all about calculations. Lot of times my car shows me 5.4 kmpl as well as 16kmpl when it actually delivers aruond 10-11 kmlp.
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:37   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Congrats !! BTW , hope you have noticed that you have 26 posts and 60 thanks , which is fantastic - showcases how much of a difference you have made to the knowledge of so many people . Keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
At the very least, Ford should drop the blue tint in dashboard plastics. Gray & Black interiors are fine, but Blueish Gray only accentuates the quality of plastic (rather, the lack of it) they are using.

Thanks StarChild for just laying the truths (photos) bare.
I can't thank all of you enough for your appreciation!

Quote:
Congrats on your new ride! Review? Photos?

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH VW SERVICE

Thanks to noopster and sauravc I was determined to get the auto lock enabled.

I called up the service station at around 10AM to book an appointment. I was told to bring the car in 30-60 mins if I could.

Reached at 10:40. A very courteous SA joined up after 5 mins and job card was opened after around 10 mins. The SA was very sympathetic about the rear bumper damage, courtesy of an idiotic 2 wheeler rider at a red light, on the second day of my ownership.

INTERESTING: Antenna was removed and handed over to me.

On inquiring I was told ECU/ECM update would be automatically done if required from VW Pune.

Inside the office area, where I was called to open the job card, a guy with a heavy haryanvi accent was complaining about the Vento GC (he was scraping the tops of speed breakers). He was told to fix an appointment as per procedure at which point he then went off mouthing expletives and cursing why he bought a car from them. I was informed at the time of delivery that for service I must book an appointment else the car would not be attended to. Guess he wasn't told that.

Though not allowed into the service area the owner's lounge had a huge approx 7'x8' viewing window looking into it, which helped satiate my innate curiosity.

OBSERVATIONS THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS.

Fender and seat covers were put on all the cars that were being worked upon.

I counted 4 'goras', i'm guessing Germans, on inspection in the service area. They were taking photos and making video recordings. Snacks were served to them in foil wrapped packets and the boy serving those was wearing gloves! One guy seemed to be an engineer as he was carrying a big ruler like implement along with soiled work gloves besides a significant paunch which would put most Indian men's mid riff to shame. One gora opened and held a door open for an Indian executive who was holding a laptop in one hand and neck tilted on a cellphone. No words of thanks or even an appreciative smile or nod from the Indian guy (how could he his neck was holding the cell to his shoulder, my apologies)

CONCLUSION

The car was handed back to me in an hour for a test drive. The moment the speedo hit 15 KMPH the auto lock enabled. I was thrilled! I asked the SA if the ECU was updated. He told me that the last ECU update was for cars manufactured in March 2011 or before. On our return to the workshop I was given a gate pass and sent on my way after exchanging pleasantries with the SA.

Peeves: Car was not washed/cleaned unlike the reports from other VW owners on TBHP. No refreshments offered much to the dismay of an elderly gentleman in the lounge who remarked that Maruti never does that. I remembered that my Hyundai service centre also provided refreshments every time!

P.S. The two plastic seat covers that were placed on my car seats were not taken back, so much for their carbon foot print! Although I admit they'll come in mighty useful when I get drenched in rain or coloured during holi and have to drive.

Last edited by STARCHILD : 3rd September 2011 at 13:42. Reason: forgot the bit about the plastic covers!
STARCHILD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

@starchild,

What a hearty experience with VW. Was this the first service? Amazed to know that you were handed the car back in one hour. There are still some areas of after sales where VW lags heavily like the post service cleanup etc. I hope they will improve on those aspects to be in the competition.

Was anything done to the bumpers during the service? I was suprised to know that the antenna could be removed in Vento.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post
I can't thank all of you enough for your appreciation!

Congrats on your new ride! Review? Photos?

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH VW SERVICE

Thanks to noopster and sauravc I was determined to get the auto lock enabled.

I called up the service station at around 10AM to book an appointment. I was told to bring the car in 30-60 mins if I could.

Reached at 10:40. A very courteous SA joined up after 5 mins and job card was opened after around 10 mins. The SA was very sympathetic about the rear bumper damage, courtesy of an idiotic 2 wheeler rider at a red light, on the second day of my ownership.

INTERESTING: Antenna was removed and handed over to me.

On inquiring I was told ECU/ECM update would be automatically done if required from VW Pune.

Inside the office area, where I was called to open the job card, a guy with a heavy haryanvi accent was complaining about the Vento GC (he was scraping the tops of speed breakers). He was told to fix an appointment as per procedure at which point he then went off mouthing expletives and cursing why he bought a car from them. I was informed at the time of delivery that for service I must book an appointment else the car would not be attended to. Guess he wasn't told that.

Though not allowed into the service area the owner's lounge had a huge approx 7'x8' viewing window looking into it, which helped satiate my innate curiosity.

OBSERVATIONS THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS.

Fender and seat covers were put on all the cars that were being worked upon.

I counted 4 'goras', i'm guessing Germans, on inspection in the service area. They were taking photos and making video recordings. Snacks were served to them in foil wrapped packets and the boy serving those was wearing gloves! One guy seemed to be an engineer as he was carrying a big ruler like implement along with soiled work gloves besides a significant paunch which would put most Indian men's mid riff to shame. One gora opened and held a door open for an Indian executive who was holding a laptop in one hand and neck tilted on a cellphone. No words of thanks or even an appreciative smile or nod from the Indian guy (how could he his neck was holding the cell to his shoulder, my apologies)

CONCLUSION

The car was handed back to me in an hour for a test drive. The moment the speedo hit 15 KMPH the auto lock enabled. I was thrilled! I asked the SA if the ECU was updated. He told me that the last ECU update was for cars manufactured in March 2011 or before. On our return to the workshop I was given a gate pass and sent on my way after exchanging pleasantries with the SA.

Peeves: Car was not washed/cleaned unlike the reports from other VW owners on TBHP. No refreshments offered much to the dismay of an elderly gentleman in the lounge who remarked that Maruti never does that. I remembered that my Hyundai service centre also provided refreshments every time!

P.S. The two plastic seat covers that were placed on my car seats were not taken back, so much for their carbon foot print! Although I admit they'll come in mighty useful when I get drenched in rain or coloured during holi and have to drive.
that seems like a decent experience from vw considering their horror stories about sales. Maybe yu had a team-bhp sticker on your car and thats why it was all staged for your satisfaction with the Goras coming in to Picture Any clue as to why the antenna was removed and given to you before taking the car?
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:36   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@starchild,

What a hearty experience with VW. Was this the first service? Amazed to know that you were handed the car back in one hour. There are still some areas of after sales where VW lags heavily like the post service cleanup etc. I hope they will improve on those aspects to be in the competition.

Was anything done to the bumpers during the service? I was suprised to know that the antenna could be removed in Vento.
This wasn't a proper service (have clocked only 1400 odd kms), a special visit just to get the auto lock enabled (OCD?). Although I also wanted to get a taste of VW service after all the horror stories. The bumper damage is not significant so i've let it be for the time being. It won't be long before some jackass again proves himself to be a Delhiite!

I was also surprised though more taken aback as to why the antenna should be removed at all. Scary too as it can be stolen easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
that seems like a decent experience from vw considering their horror stories about sales. Maybe yu had a team-bhp sticker on your car and thats why it was all staged for your satisfaction with the Goras coming in to Picture Any clue as to why the antenna was removed and given to you before taking the car?
Alas no sticker! Although I did mention to the SA that I am a member but that was only in the end. He mentioned the gora's pay a visit about once a year, guess they were informed that I'd be coming today .

I don't have a plausible answer to the antenna thing, should have asked the SA, forgot to save his phone number also .

Last edited by STARCHILD : 3rd September 2011 at 14:39. Reason: bad grammar
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
This wasn't a proper service (have clocked only 1400 odd kms), a special visit just to get the auto lock enabled (OCD?). Although I also wanted to get a taste of VW service after all the horror stories. The bumper damage is not significant so i've let it be for the time being. It won't be long before some jackass again proves himself to be a Delhiite!

I was also surprised though more taken aback as to why the antenna should be removed at all. Scary too as it can be stolen easily.

Alas no sticker! Although I did mention to the SA that I am a member but that was only in the end. He mentioned the gora's pay a visit about once a year, guess they were informed that I'd be coming today .

I don't have a plausible answer to the antenna thing, should have asked the SA, forgot to save his phone number also .
Goras coming must a part of their QA process. I am very intrigued by the antenna removing act of SA. Sounds very strange. Out of all the things to remove, why remove the antenna and give it back to the customer? Perhaps issue of low height and antenna breaking at service center?
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
it is best to calculae milage on full tank to full tank basis. The on board computers, although a good source of information, will give you a misleading information as its all about calculations. Lot of times my car shows me 5.4 kmpl as well as 16kmpl when it actually delivers aruond 10-11 kmlp.
Actually, it gives the real time display based on the kind of driving you just did.
For Eg;
In our ANHC when you drive in stop-and-go, bumper to bumper then the MID drops to around 10kmpl. However, if you are cruising at steady speed then the MID keeps increasing to around 14kmpl, which would keep going on if you are on a steady cruise @2000-2500rpm.
If you had encountered bad traffic just before you hit the fuel station, then your MID would show around 10kmpl but the actual would 15kmpl.

Cheers
MKP
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:27   #84
BHPian

^^ Precisely what i was trying to say MKP and thats why full tank to full tank works the best
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Starchild - Very interesting observations and lots of useful information. Thank you very much.

The ECU update that you mentioned about - is it specific to petrol cars? Reason I ask you this is, I remember there was an ECU update released sometime back for TDI engines to reduce the engine NVH levels and I'm fairly certain it was after March 2011.

Also - did you pay anything to get the auto-lock thingy enabled? Ideally you shouldnt, but heard reports that the service centers are asking for 500 Rs to get this done through the VAS.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
^^ Precisely what i was trying to say MKP and thats why full tank to full tank works the best
Or you could try using one of the MID memories for the tank to tank fuel tracking. There are 3 of them!

I am going to try this to see how accurate the MID is in calculating the FE, in my next long trip out of town. Anyone did this test before and what were the results?
Old 4th September 2011, 11:09   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Goras coming must a part of their QA process. I am very intrigued by the antenna removing act of SA. Sounds very strange. Out of all the things to remove, why remove the antenna and give it back to the customer? Perhaps issue of low height and antenna breaking at service center?
I found out from the service centre that sometimes when a customer does not collect their car, it is sent to the stockyard (the workshop has a 35 car capacity). So to prevent 'MISPLACEMENT' of the antenna, it is removed. When I asked if he meant that this is done to prevent the antenna from being swiped, he replied in the affirmative! I suppose such instances HAVE happened for them to start taking such a step. All this time I thought the VW logo is hot among thieves, guess we should add the antenna to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Starchild - Very interesting observations and lots of useful information. Thank you very much.

The ECU update that you mentioned about - is it specific to petrol cars? Reason I ask you this is, I remember there was an ECU update released sometime back for TDI engines to reduce the engine NVH levels and I'm fairly certain it was after March 2011.

Also - did you pay anything to get the auto-lock thingy enabled? Ideally you shouldnt, but heard reports that the service centers are asking for 500 Rs to get this done through the VAS.
Thanks bala! I suppose that's what the SA meant as mine is a petrol variant. He said the ECU update is standard procedure done automatically whenever the car is hooked up to the workshop system. They do get to know if any update has been done or not. I was not charged anything for the auto lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Or you could try using one of the MID memories for the tank to tank fuel tracking. There are 3 of them!

I am going to try this to see how accurate the MID is in calculating the FE, in my next long trip out of town. Anyone did this test before and what were the results?
This works best when the same bunk, dispensing nozzle and time of day is used for both fill ups. The only problem is the auto cut-off as its hard to confirm if it's been triggered by splashes of petrol, vapour back pressure or actually from the tank getting full. One way to improve accuracy is to use up at least 3/4th of the fuel in your tank before you fill up again. That will reduce the error margin even if there is a premature auto cut. Alternatively, if you have enough confidence in the petrol pump attendant that he won't spill, fill the tank to the brim. Stop when you see fuel about to spill over! Risky but very accurate.

Best method:

Fill up tank and reset MID2
Use up 3/4th of the fuel and refuel from same bunk and nozzle.
Note amount filled.
Again use up 3/4th of the fuel and refuel from the same bunk, nozzle and time of day of the previous fill. Add fuel quantity filled to previous figure and divide KMs covered as per MID2 by this number. Compare result to KMPL data of MID2.

Trust whichever figure makes you feel better.

Last edited by STARCHILD : 4th September 2011 at 11:11.
STARCHILD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 11:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My tripmeter 2 is always synched with my fuel refilling- I ust set it to zero every time I refill. From my observations over 9,000+ km it is accurate within 0.5 kmpl on average on the optimistic side.

MID shows about 10.5 kmpl on my usual run; tank to tank method gives about 10. In summer and the monsoons, with the additional AC and traffic load respectively, it comes down to 9.5/9. The only long run I did (nearly 1000 km in a day) MID showed 12.9 while actual consumption was about 12.35
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 11:29   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Never Knew there was a third one. Always thought there were 2 memories. Will try it out today itself. Thanks

Quote:
I found out from the service centre that sometimes when a customer does not collect their car, it is sent to the stockyard (the workshop has a 35 car capacity). So to prevent 'MISPLACEMENT' of the antenna, it is removed. When I asked if he meant that this is done to prevent the antenna from being swiped, he replied in the affirmative! I suppose such instances HAVE happened for them to start taking such a step. All this time I thought the VW logo is hot among thieves, guess we should add the antenna to the list!
wow.. would have never thought of this situation. I think it must be some notorious kids in that vicinity who must be using those antennas for star wars enactment, else who would steal a antenna away from a car? I dont think I will even Notice if the antenna on my car is missing for days together
Old 4th September 2011, 13:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So to prevent 'MISPLACEMENT' of the antenna, it is removed. When I asked if he meant that this is done to prevent the antenna from being swiped, he replied in the affirmative! I suppose such instances HAVE happened for them to start taking such a step. All this time I thought the VW logo is hot among thieves, guess we should add the antenna to the list!
Wow thats some logic for removing the antenna. Who they suspect when the antenna is misplaced at their service centre, their own employees? Also how is the antenna fitted, is it threaded fit or screw fit.
So if a Vento owner happens to go to a mall, is he expected to carry the antenna with him?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks