Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 17:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT

Quote:
Just wanted to ask how is the Sound quality from the music system?
The 6 speaker system is more than enough for most of us. But for music fanatics of the kind who need the bass to shake a leg inside the car(litrally) will feel disappointed.

The bass is good, the music is clean and clear and the way the system is integrated with the centre console gives a fine finish as well.

For normal users - Adequeate
For music buffs and someone who like to hear very fine music - System falls short.

Quote:
And have you found any replacements for the alloys?
WE just love the wheels. Never found a reason to replace them. The old jetta as well as the new Jetta have nice wheels atleast for my taste.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:31   #77
BHPian

In response to the members seeking information on the LED DRLs. I have self installed the DRL LED's in my Jetta (Am in the process of a writeup on my ownership experience which will also serve as a log of the retrofits/upgrades I intend to carry out on the car. e.g. Have already brought into the country a kit including the module to retrofit Bluetooth and voice capabilities to the car; Am trying to get a Ross-Tech cable ordered)

If you are planning on installing the DRL I can advice from my own experience to go for the 68 SMD 12V LED bulbs, I picked mine up from the US of A when I was there and have a spare set coming in. I tried the 102 SMD's too which ran a bit hot and also had reliability issues. These bulbs are safe, no Light Out warning etc (Make sure they are 12Volts) apart from the DRL's I've swapped out the interior lights too (Dome / Vanity) and have just recieved the City / Map / Trunk / License plate and Glove lights. Cant wait to get started on this tonight.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 21:00   #78
BHPian

Update - Swapped out lights from the License Plates (Light out error, but I can live with it till my fix comes in), Parking/City, Maps and Glove NO ERROR for these, although there is a bit of residual current in the overheads which I've temporarily addressed with a bit of a 'Jugaad'.

I have some spare LED's (T10's/194's and a couple of Festoons) for anyone wanting to give it a shot.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 08:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
In response to the members seeking information on the LED DRLs. I have self installed the DRL LED's in my Jetta (Am in the process of a writeup on my ownership experience which will also serve as a log of the retrofits/upgrades I intend to carry out on the car. e.g. Have already brought into the country a kit including the module to retrofit Bluetooth and voice capabilities to the car; Am trying to get a Ross-Tech cable ordered)

If you are planning on installing the DRL I can advice from my own experience to go for the 68 SMD 12V LED bulbs, I picked mine up from the US of A when I was there and have a spare set coming in. I tried the 102 SMD's too which ran a bit hot and also had reliability issues. These bulbs are safe, no Light Out warning etc (Make sure they are 12Volts) apart from the DRL's I've swapped out the interior lights too (Dome / Vanity) and have just recieved the City / Map / Trunk / License plate and Glove lights. Cant wait to get started on this tonight.
Hey. Thanks a million. I too am in the search for Led DRLs. Could you please tell me which make and brand did you go for, since it is working for you with out any problems, I can go for them as well. My brother is coming from USA in a few days time, and I can ask him to get them. Also guide me as to how to DIY, or where to approach to get them changed, as the VW service guys wont be of much help in this case. Thanks again, and please do post some pictures/photos of your job.

Quote:
Update - Swapped out lights from the License Plates (Light out error, but I can live with it till my fix comes in), Parking/City, Maps and Glove NO ERROR for these, although there is a bit of residual current in the overheads which I've temporarily addressed with a bit of a 'Jugaad'.

I have some spare LED's (T10's/194's and a couple of Festoons) for anyone wanting to give it a shot.
What fix are you talking about for the Light Out warning? Where can T10/194's be used? Interiors? Are these difficult to do or we can DIY?

Last edited by druk75 : 13th December 2011 at 09:01.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
.... Could you please tell me which make and brand did you go for... Thanks again, and please do post some pictures/photos of your job.

I used 68 SMD LED's (Also tested out the 102SMD but they ran too hot) for the DRL's use a 1156 type (1156 = something like how our household bulbs connectors used to be with two small pins/protrusions to the side to hold the bulb in place in its socket) you can google '1156 68SMD LED' on ebay, I picked mine up from a store in Texas. Just make sure the color you select is white.

Quote:
What fix are you talking about for the Light Out warning? Where can T10/194's be used? Interiors? Are these difficult to do or we can DIY?
The fix is nothing but a adapter cable which houses a capacitor to make the car electronics think the requisite amount of Wattage is being drawn. I'll post picture when I get it.

All the swap outs are DIY, very easy. One just needs to take care to not scratch the panels or rip the liners while trying to get the sockets or covers off the existing bulbs. The DRL's on the other hand are a huge pain unless you have tiny hands
Old 13th December 2011, 17:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
In response to the members seeking information on the LED DRLs....

If you are planning on installing the DRL I can advice from my own experience to go for the 68 SMD 12V LED bulbs, I picked mine up from the US of A when I was there and have a spare set coming in.....
For some reason I am not getting updates from TBhp through mail so have not visited this thread since quite some time.

You know I was doing some research on DRLs on dealextreme and found an interesting username 'Ayedongivadam' who had replaced his JETta's stock DRLs. I had bookmarked the page to order those LEDs but was not sure about the post installation review. Now what are the odds that I found you here right on my thread with just the information that I wanted!!

http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/browseCustomerPhotos.dx/sku.48999~id.141437

This is you right? Could you confirm whether these are the EXACT DRLs you installed? Also, did you order them from dealextreme only?
Old 13th December 2011, 17:39   #82
BHPian

Yes, I installed the very same set albeit purchased them in person from Texas while there (USD29.99). The DX ones were going to be my spare set but they are currently doing duty while the more expensive ones are on spare (No particular reason or logic behind this I know, but I'm quirky like that). Too bad you are in Mumbai or I could have helped you out with some overheads and city's that I have excess off.
Old 14th December 2011, 01:49   #83
BHPian

@ayedongivadam, I just read a few user reviews where they say these bulbs do look pretty cheap and its not advised for clear glass housing as they will look not so good. Any comments on this? How do the bulbs look in the daytime when not switched on?

Also, according to what you said, we will need the adapter cables with capacitor to fool the car. So why do you think the 68 SMD LEDs are not throwing up this warning signal? Excuse me for the noob that I am but I did not quiet understand the statement that you are having some residual current at the overheads. How would you know? Btw, what is the temporary jugad you have done?

I found a place that sells the interior LEDs as well as the number-plate LEDs.

Volkswagen Jetta VI Sedan TDI > Lighting

Home Page > ECS News > MKVI Jetta LED License Plate Bulb Set
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 07:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
@ayedongivadam, I just read a few user reviews where they say these bulbs do look pretty cheap and its not advised for clear glass housing as they will look not so good. Any comments on this? How do the bulbs look in the daytime when not switched on?

Also, according to what you said, we will need the adapter cables with capacitor to fool the car. So why do you think the 68 SMD LEDs are not throwing up this warning signal? Excuse me for the noob that I am but I did not quiet understand the statement that you are having some residual current at the overheads. How would you know? Btw, what is the temporary jugad you have done?

I found a place that sells the interior LEDs as well as the number-plate LEDs.

Volkswagen Jetta VI Sedan TDI > Lighting

Home Page > ECS News > MKVI Jetta LED License Plate Bulb Set
Hi Druk, The bulbs in the DRL and the City lights look quite alright whether switched on or off. (My own review is complete and I've reported the post to get it moved out to the ownership section. I will be posting pics there to not hijack this great thread.) They are a little dim as compared to the standard filament ones but that is to be expected as the wattage of the LED's is quite low. High Wattage = High heat = Shorter Lifespan and burn out issues.

I think and am pretty sure I'll only need the capacitor around the License plate light or maybe a LED with a built in capacitor. Everywhere else there is no problem of the car giving out a warning.

The residual current is the LED's glowing ever so slightly in the power off position - the Jugaad is I've popped in a standard wattage filament bulb in just one housing of the overheads - this sucks the power draw and being high wattage does not light up itself nor does it allow the residual current to light up the LED's.

ECS tuning is a great site, they have some quality stuff, except the city light kit (Which really does not need a capacitor thus unjustified cost) the other kits are a good buy.) Why I've not purchased my kit from them? Well I wanted to try out some ordinary bulbs before I sank real money in them, I found the ordinary bulbs to be quite sufficient, now I'm trying to figure out the running life of those, so I guess I'll pick up the quality ones some time later.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:59   #85
BHPian

hey lamboguy,
It has been a while since you posted any update on your car. I have been religiously following your thread because i have booked the exact same car(variant and colour; most others on this forum has the DSG) What's the reading on the odo and how is the car treating you? Any niggles so far?
Old 6th January 2012, 12:26   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
hey lamboguy,
It has been a while since you posted any update on your car. I have been religiously following your thread because i have booked the exact same car(variant and colour; most others on this forum has the DSG) What's the reading on the odo and how is the car treating you? Any niggles so far?
Let me first congratulate you on the 'twin sister' we have here!! Finally someone who has a manual Jetta on T BHP apart from me!

It has been a crazy month for me balancing work/ travel/ illness/ further studies! To add to it my mood was further spoiled. Why? This:
Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-20111230-11.51.22-copy.jpg
Some imbecile scratched over the bonnet, sides, trunk of the car deliberately a few days ago and there is pretty much nothing I can do about it.
The car is closing on 3000 kms on the odo. Not much usage in the last month. She was pretty much tucked away in the stable.
Apart from the squeaking issue discussed before [resolved], there are no other tantrums that she has thrown around! Do let us know when you get the delivery of your car!

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2012, 12:50   #87
BHPian

Thanks I am supposed to get the car on the 10th of this month but the SE seems not too confident about the date. It has been a long wait already!(booked on Dec 1) I can't wait already.

I'm sorry to hear about the scratch. What do these people get from vandalizing someone else's car like this? Beats me.
Anyways, i will keep updating on the delivery and i'm planning to write a detailed report/review along with the buying experience(which was quite interesting).

cheers
Old 6th January 2012, 14:17   #88
BHPian

I just called my SE and he informed me that apparently only the highline variant is currently under production for this month. Would there be any truth in this or is he taking me for a ride here? I don't suppose VW would make one variant for a month, then another the next month. Would they?
Anyways, i will get a confirmation on this tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed..
Old 6th January 2012, 19:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010
I just called my SE and he informed me that apparently only the highline variant is currently under production for this month. Would there be any truth in this or is he taking me for a ride here? I don't suppose VW would make one variant for a month, then another the next month. Would they?
Anyways, i will get a confirmation on this tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed..
What your SE has told doesn't convince me 100%. Take my car for example. In the first month, 3 silver leafs were manufactured and shipped to Mumbai. A TL, a CL and a HL DSG. I say this with confidence because the HL DSG was bought by my friend. If I were you I would cross check the facts with another dealer in the city. (that's what I had done too and hence the deep info).
Old 6th January 2012, 21:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
If I were you I would cross check the facts with another dealer in the city. (that's what I had done too and hence the deep info).
Unfortunately, i don't have that luxury. All the VW dealerships in kerala are owned by one company, EVM Motors. It just didn't seem logical at all to be manufacturing only one variant for a month! I had one of my friends call them up and was told the waiting period for the jetta if he booked now would be 4 months!
Either way, i' ll have a confirmation on this by tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks