Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 01:30   #91
BHPian

Re: My dream machine: Skoda Laura DSG, Ambiente

Guys mechatronic has been changed, car is still in workshop. Didn't get time to pick up the car. Got call from skoda late in the evening around 1830. My brother will pick up the car tomorrow. As i'll be out of india, so my bro will TD it for few days & give me the report, after which i'll update in detail.
Old 7th December 2011, 01:47   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .cArMaNiA View Post
Guys mechatronic has been changed, car is still in workshop. Didn't get time to pick up the car. Got call from skoda late in the evening around 1830. My brother will pick up the car tomorrow. As i'll be out of india, so my bro will TD it for few days & give me the report, after which i'll update in detail.
.cArMaNiA do let us know the cost involved in changing the mechatronic. Does the new one come with warranty? If so, how many months/kms?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:36   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the problem solved? How is the car running in manual (tiptronic) mode with the new mechatronics unit?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

.carmania: This was done under warranty, right? Any amount that you had to shell out from your pockets?
Also, does the new Mechatronic unit come with its own new warranty? If so, whats the period on that?

Also, once your brother does a TD, do let us know the result.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:24   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congrats.

Don't forget to shift the DSG to "N" when you stop at traffic lights or during waiting. This will increase the life of the DSG big time.

Cheers!
Hi - Just wanted to confirm, at traffic lights is it better to move the DSG to N or P. Asking this - since P should activate the parking break as well (my assumption) and would stop the vehicle from moving?
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:39   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitbhanu View Post
Hi - Just wanted to confirm, at traffic lights is it better to move the DSG to N or P. Asking this - since P should activate the parking break as well (my assumption) and would stop the vehicle from moving?
If you are stuck for 5-10 min or on anincline, it is worth moving to P. Else go to N and ensure footbrake or handbrake has been engaged.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:39   #97
Team-BHP Support

P locks the transmission and does not engage the hand brake. When at an incline always slot the gear to N, engage the handbrake then change to P. Avoid slotting to P first and then engaging the handbrake.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:04   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no harm in waiting in D mode with brakes pressed for short periods like a 30 sec traffic light. For longer period i move to N and use either the brakes or handbrake depending on what i find more comfortable. The Auto Handbrake in Passat/Q3 is godsent for traffic lights.

It is preferable to pull the Handbrake first before engaging P mode, it helps reducing stress on the gearbox.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:39   #99
BHPian

One more question, the context is I have booked a Skoda Laura Ambiente AT in Bangalore, delivery should happen by this weekend. I asked the dealer (Tafe) for the VIN. When I decoded it on VW/Audi/Seat/, it showed month of manufacture as April 2012. My question is if this is an acceptable time lag, or is the car too old and hence should need a very close scrutiny? I will of course do a PDI, but just want to know if this point should raise any alarm bells?
Old 5th July 2012, 00:23   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitbhanu
One more question, the context is I have booked a Skoda Laura Ambiente AT in Bangalore, delivery should happen by this weekend. I asked the dealer (Tafe) for the VIN. When I decoded it on VW/Audi/Seat/, it showed month of manufacture as April 2012. My question is if this is an acceptable time lag, or is the car too old and hence should need a very close scrutiny? I will of course do a PDI, but just want to know if this point should raise any alarm bells?
Aptil 2012 seems an acceptable lag, you may still insist on getting one from the very latest batch probably June first week? if you do decide to go with the assigned car, just check the trip meter .. If its more than 100, I would rather wait for a fresher batch.
Old 3rd February 2013, 20:46   #101
BHPian

Finally i am back to india after more than a year. Car was lying idle at home, occasionally the car was taken out for a ride(covered only 1000km in last 1 year). First service was also done last year in august(odometer read 10200 km).
I was worried a lot, as people say diesel cars should be kept driven for better performance, else maintenance costs are huge. But i did not find any issues with the car, and it still gives that adrenaline rush after flooring the pedal.

I have been driving day & night to make up for previous year. Covered 5000kms within two weeks of my arrival. I was missing this beast badly since i left india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
.carmania: This was done under warranty, right? Any amount that you had to shell out from your pockets?
Also, does the new Mechatronic unit come with its own new warranty? If so, whats the period on that?

Also, once your brother does a TD, do let us know the result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Is the problem solved? How is the car running in manual (tiptronic) mode with the new mechatronics unit?
I have been driving in manual (tiptronic) mode with the new mechatronic unit for last two weeks, i am glad that the problem has been rectified. Now the car does not go in neutral in manual mode. Skoda has done a really nice job.
Apart from mechatronic unit some other electric components were replaced. I had informed skoda guys about my trip abroad & they managed it pretty well in my absence. They themselves used to call at my home & ask to drop the car at workshop, as and when the replacement for defective parts arrived. I think initially they couldn't figure out the fault, so they took some time to rectify the problem.

Last edited by .cArMaNiA : 3rd February 2013 at 21:08.
.cArMaNiA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 21:35   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I had informed skoda guys about my trip abroad & they managed it pretty well in my absence. They themselves used to call at my home & ask to drop the car at workshop, as and when the replacement for defective parts arrived. I think initially they couldn't figure out the fault, so they took some time to rectify the problem.
Now that is some good A$$ support from Skoda. Hope they spread these levels and maintain it over time. Enjoy the beast

Last edited by 999 : 3rd February 2013 at 21:37.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:59   #103
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have been driving in manual (tiptronic) mode with the new mechatronic unit for last two weeks, i am glad that the problem has been rectified. Now the car does not go in neutral in manual mode. Skoda has done a really nice job.
Apart from mechatronic unit some other electric components were replaced. I had informed skoda guys about my trip abroad & they managed it pretty well in my absence. They themselves used to call at my home & ask to drop the car at workshop, as and when the replacement for defective parts arrived. I think initially they couldn't figure out the fault, so they took some time to rectify the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Now that is some good A$$ support from Skoda. Hope they spread these levels and maintain it over time. Enjoy the beast
I too own a Laura DSG AT and have faced a similar issue outside the warranty period. This is a known issue and the fact that it still pops up in the Laura is not really good. Mechatronic unit cost Rs. 150,000 ++.
The part is not readily available and they still take time to solve the issue. If you had been in India and it took so long you probably not have been too happy. Yes the zero value bill delights but this happened so early in the ownership and that is firstly not good and secondly it could happen again when the vehicle goes out of warranty period. I had a Turbo replacement first in the warranty period and then again outside the warranty period after an equal no of kms. Do really see how Skoda can be appreciate. They need to give a 6 year warranty on their cars to start out to regain confidence of the customers.

You were lucky due to overall circumstances all may not be.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:19   #104
BHPian

Hi all,

This might be a bit , but can someone tell me which is a good independent workshop in Mumbai which is trustworthy, reliable and affordable, who carry out work on Skoda cars?
I am planning to buy a used Laura 1.9 TDI AT and need to have the components checked out for wear.

I had mailed both SkodaJMD and Autobahn here and got a call back from Autobahn. Regarding service history they are only able to provide it to the owner, and as for inspection they said they would charge me 10% of whatever is the cost of replacement of defective parts in the car (it could be very expensive if there are any worn out parts.

So I am looking for some separate workshop. Can you help me with this please?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th March 2013, 11:41   #105
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I am planning to buy a used Laura 1.9 TDI AT and need to have the components checked out for wear.

I had mailed both SkodaJMD and Autobahn here and got a call back from Autobahn. Regarding service history they are only able to provide it to the owner, and as for inspection they said they would charge me 10% of whatever is the cost of replacement of defective parts in the car (it could be very expensive if there are any worn out parts.

Thanks in advance!
For a check up before purchase the authorized guys are the best bet.

1) When I bought my Laura 1.9PD AT, I had it serviced at MY cost by JMD - Cost Rs. 10,000 then - Issues still came up later but since the car was in warranty it was covered in warranty. The Deal with the dealer was that if after service JMD reported any major issues I could back out of the deal. Rs. 10,000 was towards Service which was anyways due and also advance to block the vehicle. I would have lost the money if I backed out and the car would have got a free service.

2) The other option is to take the car for a check up to JMD - I suggest them as they are better and more reasonably priced. They should charge you about Rs. 2000-2500 for a checkup including a VAS Scan. Tell them that you will get the car serviced with them once you buy it.

A VAS Scan is important, there are many third party service guy (one in Bandra near Carter Road is where the tuner Kirus operates out of) I ofcourse use someone in Thane. But getting it checked with authorized guys first up would be better.

By the way what price points, year, model are you at right now on the deal.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks