Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 20:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketantendulkar View Post
swiftnfurious, the purchase price was four lakhs...even that seemed a bit high - since it is a 2003 model and has done 8 years and 78000+ kms

...prices for this very model started from Rs.2,35,000 (that one with the same color is still on sale on internet) so I hope I have not paid way too much - I figured that the price was good because it is a well-maintained car. Do correct me if I am wrong on this front.
Dont even bother about the price. A well maintained car is quite difficult to get. So it's OK to pay a premium. At least you are confident about this machine now - aren't you? And that feeling itself is PRICELESS!

Just be prepared to digest the bills of the Octavia. I have heard the bills could give you a heart attack.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:45   #17
BHPian

H Ketan,
Congrats on the Octavia. Happened to read (in team-bhp) sometime ago about Bhoomi Motors, Pune (MrAjaz Sheikh) in East street for servicing Skodas.

But i hav'nt done a paid service for my Octavia yet. The Tune-up guy had given me a quote four times higher (than others) for a small paint touch up job.

Last edited by rxpaul : 7th December 2011 at 20:47.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:17   #18
BHPian

Congratualtions! Ketan. You made an excellent choice. Take care of this car and it will serve you for years. Mine is 6 years and 110k kms old and still looks, feels and drives great.

It does not look as if the car requires any work in the foreseeable future. The original clutch and flywheel in the Octy can go for over 1L kms so yours might be good for another 25k kms. While buying used, it is always better to pay a premium for a well looked after car so its good that you did so. Wish you manny happy years and miles with the car.
Old 8th December 2011, 01:14   #19
BHPian

Congrats on the octavia. I have seen 3 octavias of 2002 and 2003 make run upto 1.5 lac kms without any fuss and going strong at this stage even. At this stage even there is no sign of loss of power in these octavias. Hope your octavia returns the same to you. Enjoy your ride.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. to GTO and all: I did look up the directory - is there any specific mechanic you would recommend for the Octavia in Pune?

I will definitely do a thorough check-up - I would love it if someone could guide me to a great mechanic in Pune, in general or for the Octavia. Also not yet sure of the parts aspect since I will not approach Skoda After Sales Service - have read enough horror stories and vowed to not put a single paisa in the hands of such people. (Hats off to Harish, Karthik and others whose legendary battles with Skoda continue to this very date)

Thank you, all!
I would suggest get regular servicing done with Tune Up Plus (though I am not sure if they deal with Skoda cars. At least with Mitsubishi, I was told that they cannot source parts for me, but just regular servicing should be fine)
Typically this should be Rs. 700-1000 for labour. Consumables extra.
Velocity Motors is another option, but I think they charge more (though less than A.S.S.). Parts should not be a problem overall, but maybe you need to source from Mumbai (Opera House) (Pune is not the best place for spares though we have Pune Motors et. al., I never found anything with them).

And yes, 4 Lac is a very good price for this car - it should give you no troubles for another 2 years if taken proper care of.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:01   #21
BHPian

Hi swiftnfurious, I am already getting ready to take the heart-attacks, and was already prepared after setting my heart after this car. :-)

Hi S_U_N, Thank you for the non-dealer service options. The best option in Mumbai seems GTO's recommended “Select Auto", Dadar run by Sunil Shanbagh.

rxpaul, Thank you for guiding me to Bhoomi Motors.
As you rightly pointed out it has been discussed here as a good Skoda service option:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ivate-one.html

Another name that came up frequestnyl was Pramod Auto Scan though there are mixed reports here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-centre.html

Most reports also seem to give Europa Auto Wakad – the Skoda Centre – a clean chit. But probably I would still be better off with the private garages suggested above.

Cesc, I do hope the clutch-flywheel assembly lasts long. Actually after the feather-light clutch of the petrol Spark, I feel I would need to unlearn some bad habits to prevent clutch wear. I used to start the Spark and take off directly in second gear - am realizing that it would wear out the clutch fast if I try that with this diesel. Also I travel through Chandani Chowk area in Pune and it's a steep slope and more often than not is packed with bumper-to-bumper traffic in the evenings all over the gradient.... I use half-clutch to inch forward on the slope and end up feeling worried about the clutch wear. Putting the car in first gear and inching forward is not an option as I have a tendency to depress-release the clutch after every few inches of travel while climbing slopes. If I minimize clutch use and slowly move forward in first-gear autos and two-wheelers squeeze into the gap in front.
Also had read a thread on team-bhp and as per that wanted to know if I can downshift to lower gears without using the clutch - am afraid that I don't know how to use the tachometer and match the rev speeds to achieve this.

Y@sh, one-77, Swanand, ashis89 and everybody else - Thank you for your wishes and I do look forward to fun times driving the Octavia.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely do a thorough check-up - I would love it if someone could guide me to a great mechanic in Pune, in general or for the Octavia. Also not yet sure of the parts aspect since I will not approach Skoda After Sales Service - have read enough horror stories and vowed to not put a single paisa in the hands of such people.
Ketan, check if Tuneup Plus does service Skoda cars. He is pretty good a mechanic and a lot of people have only good to say about him (apart from the fact, that he is a little expensive).

If not, try Bhoomi motors on East Street, Camp. I know for a fact that he does service Skoda cars, and is pretty good at that. He also happens to be the authorized dealer for Pete's, in Pune . Just saying .
Old 8th December 2011, 15:24   #23
BHPian

Congrats Ketan! Octy is anytime a good choice. Mine is a 2006 rider already clocked 1.15 lac km. This car can last forever provided you give it its due respect. I would like to share couple of things regarding the maintainance. Come what may, do not compromise on the oil quality. Strictly stick to the recommended oil by skoda and oil change has to be done timely manner. Secondly skoda clutches are very sensitive. They are these zero play cluctches. Graduating from a petrol car to a diesel car you will surely find the clutch a bit heavy but ensure you handle it carefully. Do not over step the clutch. I know people who have changed their clutches at 10K and some who have not faced issues even at 1.25 lac. Clutch replacement if required would set up back comfortably by 40K.

To sum it up, carry out the bare minimum maintainace in a timely and do not compromise on quality (even if it means higher costs).

Believe me, i do not have a single reason to dispose my car and neither can I find a replacement which fits the bill.
Old 9th December 2011, 21:01   #24
BHPian

I am now getting into correct clutch techniques. Taming this beast seems to make a proper man out of oneself. Though am not daring to go as far as not as far as heel-to-toe or downshifting without clutch

I had some questions on the back of my mind:

1. Is the 1.9 TDI engine a "Pumpe Duse" engine? I still have not heard the famed "Turbo Whistle" or I guess I cannot recognize it yet - would I need to roll down the windows for that? Note: My rpm stays between 1000 - 2000 mostly on the lower side.

2. Should I use normal diesel or would normal diesel cause debris to collect and cause harm to the engine. (I notice that this had been discussed elsewhere on team-bhp and people vouching for normal diesel since it seems that is recommended by Skoda). I filled at the BP COCO Pump opposite RTO Pune today since team-bhpians recommend it (alongwith Autolines on University Road)

3. In the Oils section I found that Mobil1 Super Synth and Mobil1 Delvac would be the best suited oils for the Octavia. Let me know if I am correct.

4. Does anyone know where I could repair the CD changer that came with the stock headunit in Pune / Mumbai? (water had leaked onto it and the headunit says "NO MAGAZINE" restricting my music to the radio and old cassettes I could rummage from my loft.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:33   #25
BHPian

Hi ketan. First of all congratulations for this fantastic buy. Car does look in pristine condition. Dude,always fill up normal diesel. Its the other variety that causes which is not recommended. It will cause your car to smoke a lot.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:43   #26
BHPian

P.S. to GTO and all: I did look up the directory - is there any specific mechanic you would recommend for the Octavia in Pune?

You can visit Mr. Hrushikesh (Dattoba Garage), near Bamboo House hotel, Jangli Maharaj Road. I am maintaining my octy vRS with him since past two years and found him to be quite reliable.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 22:23   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ketan,

I deeply trust Moralfiber's opinion, hence will go with what he recommends.

Link to his Directory Entry
Old 10th December 2011, 22:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had some questions on the back of my mind:

1. Is the 1.9 TDI engine a "Pumpe Duse" engine? I still have not heard the famed "Turbo Whistle" or I guess I cannot recognize it yet - would I need to roll down the windows for that? Note: My rpm stays between 1000 - 2000 mostly on the lower side.
The 1.9 tdi on the octavia is definitely not the "Pumpe Duse" engine, i remember the previous gen Laura with a 1.9tdi engine had the "Pumpe Duse" tech which upped the power from 90 bhp to 105 bhp.

Regarding the turbo whine, i'm sure you'll be able to hear it at approx 1.8k rpm, i can hear it in my car around that.
Old 11th December 2011, 21:51   #29
BHPian

My Octavia TPI is due for a service...200 km as per service indicator. I am not sure what all needs to be done. This will be my first 'paid' service and my car has run about 30000 km.
Old 11th December 2011, 22:17   #30
BHPian

Congrats on the car, its indeed one of the best sedans available in the budget, however the only concern would be the service and spares. Try to find ORIX if you are in Pune , its one of the best multibrand service stations available. I have had a very good relationship with them when i bought a used Fiat Palio D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks