Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 23:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketantendulkar View Post
4. Does anyone know where I could repair the CD changer that came with the stock headunit in Pune / Mumbai? (water had leaked onto it and the headunit says "NO MAGAZINE" restricting my music to the radio and old cassettes I could rummage from my loft.
If the cassette player and speakers are working well, consider buying one of these cassette adapters:

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-cassetteadaptersmall.jpg

They're really cheap (can't be more than 100 Rs) and work very well! That way you can play songs off your Mp3 player/iPod/Phone (if it has a 3.5mm jack). No need to get the head unit changed!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 02:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had some questions on the back of my mind:

1. Is the 1.9 TDI engine a "Pumpe Duse" engine? I still have not heard the famed "Turbo Whistle" or I guess I cannot recognize it yet - would I need to roll down the windows for that? Note: My rpm stays between 1000 - 2000 mostly on the lower side.

2. Should I use normal diesel or would normal diesel cause debris to collect and cause harm to the engine. (I notice that this had been discussed elsewhere on team-bhp and people vouching for normal diesel since it seems that is recommended by Skoda). I filled at the BP COCO Pump opposite RTO Pune today since team-bhpians recommend it (alongwith Autolines on University Road)

3. In the Oils section I found that Mobil1 Super Synth and Mobil1 Delvac would be the best suited oils for the Octavia. Let me know if I am correct.

4. Does anyone know where I could repair the CD changer that came with the stock headunit in Pune / Mumbai? (water had leaked onto it and the headunit says "NO MAGAZINE" restricting my music to the radio and old cassettes I could rummage from my loft.
Congrats on the car, it's a great buy.
We have an Octy Combi ourselves, and barring the front seat travel, expensive parts and Skoda A.S.S., we have had no complaints with her as yet. While she isn't a car I see myself driving around often, I do get tempted to use her more often every time i get behind the wheel. In fact, in the 4 years we have had her for, she has only done 35Kkm! And baring a clutch problem (which I blame the A.S.S.), has not sprung up any other surprises.

About these points:
1: the turbo whistle comes at 1,800rpm, keep your ears open then. Hope you get the 'push into the seat back' feel when you accelerate.
2: Only use normal diesel from a reliable COCO pump. We have faced some issues with the Turbo in our other car as we used the 'High Speed Diesel/Turbojet Diesel'. In the Octy it has always been regular diesel since day number 1.
3: Synthetic Oil is recommended. The same as would be mentioned in the manual/service center. Given that this will be your first service with the car, get all the filters and oils changed to company recommended oils, of the same configuration.
4: Since the CD Player only plays regular CDs, you have two options: Upgrade to a new ICE (from a Basic Alpine at 6,000 - to one of the fancier touchscreen units at 18,000 onwards). Alternately, if you want to hold off on this, you could get a Cassette Player type connection as shown by anekho. IMHO, it is a waste of money repairing the CD Player, especially given that it doesn't play MP3s, etc.
5: Might I recommend a good car polish, and interior cleaning treatment to be done from the professionals? The Blue is a superb color, one of my favorites. A good polish job would have heads turning everywhere! Similarly, beige interiors get soiled easily, and though yours are in good condition, a good interior cleaning package would do wonders!
6: If money allows, and once you get accustomed to the performance, do think of getting a Petes box or similar.
Old 12th December 2011, 09:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Octavia, alwyas liked the tank like build of this car, hows the drivability with full load and a/c i am sure it will be fun, tried it around the twisties?
Old 12th December 2011, 10:16   #34
BHPian

Ketan- that is one brilliant car you have got yourself there. A true highway cruiser into whom I have had many a run ins on the NH-1 with my Palio 1.6 and she used to keep up with me without breaking sweat and not to mention at half the per/km cost.

The care the previous owner has taken is evident in the interior pics, the beige still remains beige and the leather wrap is still as new. Kudos to you for finding such a gem.

If I am not wrong, all the Octy's came with Alpine HU's, and it was not an aftermarket fitment. I remember my boss's 2007 RS came with one and it sounded quite sweet.

And yes, when it comes to parts Opera house is a treasure trove and you will never be disappointed. So sleep easy.

Happy motoring!

Last edited by mnemonic : 12th December 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Missed a digit
Old 12th December 2011, 10:20   #35
BHPian

Thank you GTO for reaffirming TUNE UP PLUS Baner as a good garage. However I will also be travelling to Dadar this weekend so would get the car checked from Mr.Shanbagh of SELECT AUTO first. And I will not make the mistake that another team-bhpian did of saying “GTO referred me!” (I can picture this conversation: “GTO? The name sounds familiar. Uh, GTO, did you say? Are you sure that’s the name?”) instead I would say “I got your referreal from team-bhp.”

Thank you Garry for recommending ORIX. I think this is available only in Mumbai.

Anekho, many thanks for your guidanace. However I had already tried the cassette adaptor – the problem is that the faceplate comes out to reveal the cassette slot and once I insert the cassette the faceplate automatically closes – the wire that comes out to the 3.5 mm jack thus gets in the way of the faceplate and after krrrrr sounds it ejects. Trying this three times resulted in a spliced wire, so this won’t be an option. I have ordered a RCA to CD-Chnager In (M-Bus) adapter which is in the car boot and am thinking of connecting a music source (CD Player, mobile phone, iPod, etc.) – firstly I hope that it plays in the AUX mode and secondly the disadvantage is that it will stay in the boot hence won’t be able to skip songs etc.

Lamborghini, thanks for the excellent advice on all fronts. Do let me know if you recommend any car polish / interior detailing place either in Pune or Mumbai. A Pete’s box is not on my mind immediately – perhaps after a few years.

Motomaverick, the drivability is amazing – the car hugs the road and twisties are no problem at all – all this with full load, a/c always on. It seems a breeze after I compare my similar drives with the Chevy Spark. (may its soul rest in peace).

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2011 at 10:52. Reason: Font tags and also please limit 2 smilies per post. Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 21:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anekho, many thanks for your guidanace. However I had already tried the cassette adaptor – the problem is that the faceplate comes out to reveal the cassette slot and once I insert the cassette the faceplate automatically closes – the wire that comes out to the 3.5 mm jack thus gets in the way of the faceplate and after krrrrr sounds it ejects. Trying this three times resulted in a spliced wire, so this won’t be an option. I have ordered a RCA to CD-Chnager In (M-Bus) adapter which is in the car boot and am thinking of connecting a music source (CD Player, mobile phone, iPod, etc.) – firstly I hope that it plays in the AUX mode and secondly the disadvantage is that it will stay in the boot hence won’t be able to skip songs etc.
Hmm. That sound's like a very complicated solution! See if you can can scrape a small hole on the side of the faceplate so the wire can come out?

Or you can give those small FM transmitters a shot. I've had varying results with mine, sometimes the sound quality is excellent sometimes horrible. There are probably better ones in the market now. Atleast your music player will remain inside the cabin!

Otherwise it's time for a new Head Unit

Last edited by anekho : 12th December 2011 at 21:43.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:49   #37
BHPian

In case you decide to swap the HU, Do PM me for the info , i have a used Pioneer 5250SD that can be usefull, search it on the TBHP classifieds, its there.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:01   #38
BHPian

Re: The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia, The Beautiful

Quote:
Thank you for your comments, Mr.Padhye.

The economy zone is marked on the speedometer - it is the zone between the the 30 - 50 mark and the car automatically stays at 40 when cruising like this - as if it has a life of its own

The FE figures still seem unbelievable - the best I have managed 4.2 on a smooth drive (not highway but fairly empty city roads) l / 100kmwoth a.c. which seems too good to be true since that means an average close to 25 kmpl.

Could this be really possible? If so, hats off to Skoda.

Isn't the Laura just a rebranded version of the Skoda that is sold as an Octavia elsewhere in the world? If so, I had believed that the original build quality would have been retained but from your post it indeed does not seem to be so. Nevertheless the Laura is a capable car. I have found new respect for European cars after owning the Octy.
Yes, indeed!!

Octy offers excellent and unbelievable mileage.

Too good to be true.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:08   #39
BHPian

Sorry forgot to congratulate you on your buy.

Man you struck an awesome deal there. What a car!

Enjoy happy mile crunching in the years to come.
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 23:50   #40
BHPian

Hey Congrats on ur purchase, I m sure u must have really done some good home work before buying this beauty, I currently own maruti esteem vxi, I had bought this car in 2007, 6 months just before maruti closed down the production of this car, the car has served me well, nO regrets at all, but I always loved skoda Octavia for its looks and power, I am planning of buying one, I am hunting some really genuine pre-owned car, but I am finding it difficult finalize one, I will appreciate if u can guide me with my buying...... I m from pune.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:23   #41
BHPian

I managed to connect an external music source by using the RCA to M-Bus adapter. I also used a 3.5 mm to RCA at the very beginning and thus was able to connect a music source. The only disadvantage is that the music source stays in the boot but I have managed to find a looong component cable that can be used to extend it till the cabin.

I might try routing this through the B-pillar and then to the cubbyhole under the armrest but that is a later project.

Thank you for all those who helped, especially anekho.

joeblack I will put up links to all the cars I had passed - if that is not against forum rules.

I will also plan to keep posting on all the projects I carry out, and further ownership reports.
Attached Thumbnails
The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-mbus-rca.jpg  

ketantendulkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 12:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I managed to connect an external music source by using the RCA to M-Bus adapter. I also used a 3.5 mm to RCA at the very beginning and thus was able to connect a music source. The only disadvantage is that the music source stays in the boot but I have managed to find a looong component cable that can be used to extend it till the cabin.

I might try routing this through the B-pillar and then to the cubbyhole under the armrest but that is a later project.

Thank you for all those who helped, especially anekho.
Hey! Glad it worked out

Good thing you found that long component cable, would have been awkward getting out of the car, opening the boot and changing song at every signal

Enjoy your drive, she's a great one!
Old 16th December 2011, 19:05   #43
BHPian

Hi All,

I would be doing a Mumbai Pune roundtrip over the weekend.

Just had a preliminary thought that I should be investing in a VAG-COM diagonsis kit and keep it in the boot at this stage.

Instead of buying it at a later stage to diagnose faults etc wouldn't it be better to equip myself with it right away?

Also, should I invest in a gearlock system (say Xenos) or would it spoil the looks of the cabin?

Also, any places where I can buy the VAG-COM with cable?

I am also planning on DIY-USB circuit so that I can keep a USB drive and this circuit connected to the CD-Changer input 3.5 mm jack in the boot for unlimited music.

Thanks,
Ketan
Old 17th December 2011, 14:42   #44
superveloce

Hey Ketan

Congrats for picking up a beauty!! I am going through the exact same situation as you. I just picked up a Stone Gray metallic Octy 1.9 Rider from Mumbai as well. I also settled insurance with my insurer but it was much smoother.
I mailed you through private message option, give it a read.

Old 3rd January 2012, 09:16   #45
BHPian

The service indicator had lit up hence I had taken the car to Mumbai to be serviced.

I had taken the car to Sunil Shanbagh (Select Auto, Dadar) recommended by GTO and many BHPians and he gave the car a full thumbs up with the remarks that I was very lucky to get a car with 80,000 kms odo in this condition.

Nothing extra had to be done except the regular oil change. (synthetic)

Mr.Shanbaug is a thorough gentleman and we also chatted about his Himalayan Rally cars - it seems he has participated in every rally from 1983 or earlier to 1991.

I thoroughly recommend Mr.Shanbagh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks