Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 12:43   #1
BHPian

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful

After my Sparky met with an accident - though me and my family were safe and sound other than minor bruises (thank you Sparky) and after we started limping back to normal - being without a car for a month started to be overbearing and we started thinking of alternatives.

It had to be a sedan but I was on a restricted budget after the sudden accident and I started exploring my long forgotten dream of owning the then head-turning Skoda Octavia. Since it was discontinued in the market from 2010, pre-owned Octavias seemed to be offered comparatively cheap. It also had to be a diesel, and the 1.9 TDI engine seemed one robust piece of engineering, and the only consideration was of Skoda’s expensive service, which could be circumvented by going to a trusted garage such as Tune Up Plus Baner, and parts could be arranged from trusted Kashmere Gate Dealers etc. with CESC’s and other team-bhpians help.

If you looked hard you could get bargains, and generally even hard-driven Octavias that have clocked over a lakh kilometers would last you for a long time if they had been serviced regularly. There were lots of used Octavias but I avoided dealers like plague (with odometer readings of under 60,000 kms for 2003 models it was too good to be true, and hence probably was)

So I spent a weekend in Mumbai scouting for Octavias, and I am glad to say that the team-bhp classifieds were the most authentic, real McCoys. Each one I looked at seemed to have something against it for maintenance , but then I stumbled upon a Parsi-owned 2003 model which had done around 78,000 kms but the owner had clearly bestowed his loving care upon it. This was finally the one I selected and the whole operation was based more on trust rather than my technical abilities to judge a car.

It was a 1.9 TDI Elegance model.

Positives:

- In pristine condition, with an almost new-car feel inspite if having eight years history with it. Not even minor dents, scratches or anything that would take away from new.
- Engine maintained really well, tell-tale signs care visible.
- All stock fittings, stock music system, stock keyless entry, stock upholstery (all other Octavias I had seen seemed to have an aftermarket music unit, or a duplicate key or atleast the original trim ripped off and upholstery level degraded)
- No signs of rust even though it was a Mumbai vehicle, I am not sure if all Octavias are built anti-rust.
- Clutch feels good, not hard. Engine feels great, no issues. Gear box great – gears slot in like butter.
- Drivability and handling is impeccable, and all the Skoda build positives – doors close with a macho thud, tank-like build though slightly creaky like an old well lived house, but that makes it more homely.
- Servicing – timing belt has been changed, new battery.

Negatives:

The CD Changer doesn’t work since the rubber gasket had leaked during the rains (owner had it changed) and water had leaked into the boot. The head unit only has a cassette player and Radio. This probably is me nitpicking.
Tyres may need to be replaced soon. Manufacturing date on tyres says 2007.

Quick Report:

I will talk about the two most important things other than the standard report:
- In the third, fourth and fifth gear if the car is being driven in the economy zone it “latches in” into the optimal economy speed and cruises along without the accelerator being needed to be pressed.
- The FE reading in l/100 km has made a better driver out of me. It is invaluable.

Initial pictures:

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0484_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0481_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0490_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0495_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0496_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0497_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0540_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0550_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-dscn0553_small.jpg

The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful-oct_small.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2011 at 15:08. Reason: Inserting your pictures properly. Please refer to our FAQ to know the correct process. Thanks
ketantendulkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 14:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia, The Beautiful

Awesome.
Octavia is very good looking sedan.
And looks even more brilliant in this color.

What's the "economy zone"? Something marked on the speedo/RPM meter or mentioned in the manual?

And what's the l/100km you are getting?
When I used to drive my NHC on the e-way until 3 years ago, I was many times surprized to see the 1.9 TDi Octy's zipping past me when I was doing 170kmph! That's when I decided my next car would be a Skoda. Though I fulfilled my dream with the Laura TSi, that car does not have the build quality of the original Octy.

Enjoy the car.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:22   #3
BHPian

Thank you for your comments, Mr.Padhye.

The economy zone is marked on the speedometer - it is the zone between the the 30 - 50 mark and the car automatically stays at 40 when cruising like this - as if it has a life of its own

The FE figures still seem unbelievable - the best I have managed 4.2 on a smooth drive (not highway but fairly empty city roads) l / 100kmwoth a.c. which seems too good to be true since that means an average close to 25 kmpl.

Could this be really possible? If so, hats off to Skoda.

Isn't the Laura just a rebranded version of the Skoda that is sold as an Octavia elsewhere in the world? If so, I had believed that the original build quality would have been retained but from your post it indeed does not seem to be so. Nevertheless the Laura is a capable car. I have found new respect for European cars after owning the Octy.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:13   #4
BANNED

Congrats on the Octavia. Look good in the blue shade. Nice choice and taste I must say!

I have a doubt though. Why are the pictures posted twice? They are repeating!
Old 7th December 2011, 15:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ketan,

Congrats on your Octavia! Its 78k kms old and say it still runs like new! Have first-hand experience with it! Our octy is 4.x yrs old with 70k on the odo and everything from the engine to the plastics inside feel good though they show signs of age.

Take care of the car and i'm sure it'll take care of you! Wish you many safe miles in your Octavia!
Old 7th December 2011, 15:30   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Octavia diesel is one heck of a car. Thanks to the lack of electronics & robust engineering, the Octy 1.9 TDIs run forever. In fact, we commonly compare their longevity to the famed Mercedes W124s. Plus, the engine offers surprisingly good performance & fuel efficiency, paired to a suspension with a super ride & handling balance.

Though I personally wouldn't buy a used car with such high mileage, this example appears to have been kept well by its previous owner. If it has indeed been well-maintained, expect another lakh or 2 kms of reliable service. And I do hope you got her home for a great price.

I would highly recommend giving her a complete service + checkup by a reputable mechanic. There are plenty of recommendations in the Team-BHP Directory. Do look them up.

Here is a Skoda Octavia review you just have to read (by our beloved Moderator Rtech).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why are the pictures posted twice? They are repeating!
Sorted.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2011 at 15:34.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 16:13   #7
BHPian

Re: The Sign of 8 - Owning Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi, The Beautiful

Congrats Kedan,
The Octi is definitely a great car to buy and it looks good too. I'm sure you would be loving the solid build.
I suggest you get a nice 3M polishing and a waxing job for your car, it would look even better.
By the way, are there any rattles or squeaks in the car?

Anyways, wish you miles of trouble free and happy driving!

Last edited by DeKay : 7th December 2011 at 16:14.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

This one is truly looking real good and the only way to make out if its a pre-worshipped car is through your post and the fact that Skoda does not sell Octavia anymore.

Even the dash has zero scratches and no sign of wear and tear (On the pictures at least). Just a look at the alloys and they seem to be freshly pulled out of dealer's garage and fitted onto the car. This sure is one hell of a deal you got there.

Wish you many happy miles with it.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th December 2011 at 17:19.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a nice car you got there. Mind sharing the price of the car? As GTO mentioned, please try and give it a complete service, replacing all fluids and filters and the car should serve you well. Also please get the entire car checked for wear & tear and try to get a report of what all needs to be changed in the near future; if you already have not done it. The only replacement I see in the interior is the driver arm rest - looks slightly worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketantendulkar View Post
The economy zone is marked on the speedometer - it is the zone between the the 30 - 50 mark and the car automatically stays at 40 when cruising like this - as if it has a life of its own
I guess this phenomenon is due to the ECU. For every gear / speed there is an optimal rpm level [I am talking about Diesel] and the car will keep on moving even of you don't give accelarator inputs. Try doing this in 2nd gear / 3rd gear as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketantendulkar View Post
The FE figures still seem unbelievable - the best I have managed 4.2 on a smooth drive (not highway but fairly empty city roads) l / 100kmwoth a.c. which seems too good to be true since that means an average close to 25 kmpl.
I guess Octavia brought a great diesel engine and provided unheard of FE at it's launch time and the car became a hit in no time. I still hear good things about Octavia alone from the Skoda stable.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan: Congratulations! The car looks clean. Have you got is serviced? Are you going to visit Tune Up Plus or someone else?
Old 7th December 2011, 17:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! Octavia is a great car, a real looker indeed. And your car seems to be in impeccable shape, its really difficult to find an Octy in such a shape. Congrats again.
Best wishes.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ketan: Congrats on owning a monster! The Octi is one amazing piece of machine. Dare I say, even better than the Lauras. The lack of electronics and that great steering make it an absolute FTD car.

Do give her an overall service once again. I see that you are from Pune too. Where do you plan to get her serviced? ASC or independant garage?

Have fun with the car, drive safe.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:47   #13
BHPian

GTO, I am honored by your posting - to my very first post! It was team-bhp which helped me find the car, team-bhp which showed me which variant of the Octavia to choose, team-bhp - truly a great place!
P.S. to GTO and all: I did look up the directory - is there any specific mechanic you would recommend for the Octavia in Pune?

Hi shashank.nk, DeKay, Mr. Jha - thank you for your posts full of happy wishes. The owner still refers to it as "My Octavia" so you can judge how much care he must have taken of it. I hope I don't fall short on that front and take equally good care of it.

swiftnfurious, the purchase price was four lakhs - my Spark was totaled on the expressway and even that seemed a bit high - since it is a 2003 model and has done 8 years and 78000+ kms

I found a surprisingly large number of Octavias on sale - prices for this very model started from Rs.2,35,000 (that one with the same color is still on sale on internet) so I hope I have not paid way too much - I figured that the price was good because it is a well-maintained car. Do correct me if I am wrong on this front.

"Sign of the 8" - The word play was because the car is 8 years old - which is also what OCTAVIA means (it was the eighth model launched by Skoda) (Also: In the eighties comics by Lee Falk "Mandrake the Magician" living in Xanadu was featured battling an international gang called "The Sign of 8" whose leader was the Octon, and that has stuck to my memories. Mentioned it here because it stuck me that the title was sub-consciously picked from there.)

I will definitely do a thorough check-up - I would love it if someone could guide me to a great mechanic in Pune, in general or for the Octavia. Also not yet sure of the parts aspect since I will not approach Skoda After Sales Service - have read enough horror stories and vowed to not put a single paisa in the hands of such people. (Hats off to Harish, Karthik and others whose legendary battles with Skoda continue to this very date)

Thank you, all!
Old 7th December 2011, 18:27   #14
BHPian

One of the most handsome sedans ever. I simply love this car. Skoda owe much of its brand value in India to the Octavia's robustness, timeless styling, and the peppy yet frugal 1.9 tdi. Perhaps the most reliable of all the Skodas launched here?
Pristine condition. The interiors look very well kept. Hope you got "him" for a great price!
Wishing you many happy miles.

Last edited by one-77 : 7th December 2011 at 18:40.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:00   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the Octavia! I wouldve thought twice before taking a car that has done 78k, but the cars interiors are in mint condition. Very well maintained. Just get the front armrest leather replaced and get an exterior polish from 3M. It'll look brand new.

Do you mind sharing the price?

Wish you many happy and niggle free miles!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks