Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 14:02   #76
BHPian

re: Hyundai Eon - Initial Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
I can't say much about FE because i wanted to wait until after 2000 kms to do the tank full method, so that i'll have a more realistic figure then. It's somewhere in the ballpark of 15kmpl. Plus, we use the car for extremely short distances(<3km) only.
Waiting for an update on the actual FE. 15kmpl sounds less for a 800cc engine - could be due to the frequent gear shifts in the shorter trips.
Old 12th February 2012, 15:11   #77
BHPian

Hello to those from the EON world.
My car does not travel far too many miles but here is an update on the FE.
the Odo reads 820Kms. Got my tank full with Auto Cut Off for the second time and the FE is a disappointing 14.5
Yes, most that i have travelled is on busy Mumbai Link road during peak hours. so there has been frequent gear changes and most of the drive in the lower 3 gears.
Waiting eagerly to hear from other EON owners about their feedback on the FE.
i intend using the car more regularly from here on. Will keep updating further but as on today i am very disappointed with the FE.
Hyundai's ARAI claims and actual on road performance continues to show a big difference.
mahen_narang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 18:08   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for an update on the actual FE. 15kmpl sounds less for a 800cc engine - could be due to the frequent gear shifts in the shorter trips.
The odo reads 2500kms now. Over the last two tankfuls, i got around 14 kmpl. The car is only used for extremely short distances(<5kms- for market runs and things like that). Regardless, it is still less than what i had expected from the car. I will do another tankful past 3000 kms to see if it makes any difference (considering the engine is still in "break in" period).
Old 13th February 2012, 09:53   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The odo reads 2500kms now. Over the last two tankfuls, i got around 14 kmpl. The car is only used for extremely short distances(<5kms- for market runs and things like that). Regardless, it is still less than what i had expected from the car. I will do another tankful past 3000 kms to see if it makes any difference (considering the engine is still in "break in" period).
AHH, i feared this. A friend of mine gets the same FE on his Santro. A smaller engine from the same manufacturer should had given a better performance.
Reventon2010, at 2500Km on your odo, would you still say that your engine is in break-in period?
Is there any difference in the shaking gear lever? i feel that for my car the gear lever shift has reduced to a very large extent in the 3rd and 4th gear position.
Old 13th February 2012, 21:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any difference in the shaking gear lever? i feel that for my car the gear lever shift has reduced to a very large extent in the 3rd and 4th gear position.
I cant say there has been any significant difference. However, like you said the vibration is much less at higher gears.
Old 13th February 2012, 22:10   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
the Odo reads 820Kms. Got my tank full with Auto Cut Off for the second time and the FE is a disappointing 14.5
Quote:
Our Eon has completed 900 KMs. First tankful has delivered 22.1 KMPL. Few points to note:
1. FE was measured by tankful method only.
2. Eon was used only on NH8 at 70-80KM/H in top gear at all time.
3. AC was used in 1/3 part of journey.

So actually Eon was used even more sweeter than ARAI norms.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 23:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post

Hyundai's ARAI claims and actual on road performance continues to show a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Our Eon has completed 900 KMs. First tankful has delivered 22.1 KMPL. Few points to note:
1. FE was measured by tankful method only.
2. Eon was used only on NH8 at 70-80KM/H in top gear at all time.
3. AC was used in 1/3 part of journey.

So actually Eon was used even more sweeter than ARAI norms.
These contrasting FE figures are quite consistent with the wide FE spectrum of Hyundai cars. Given poor road conditions (busy traffic, etc) and/or a spirited driving performance, FE figures of the Eon / i10 would demoralize any Hyundai owner. Given good road conditions and/or sedate driving style, the Eon / i10 would excite any Hyundai owner.
Old 14th February 2012, 06:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
These contrasting FE figures are quite consistent with the wide FE spectrum of Hyundai cars. Given poor road conditions (busy traffic, etc) and/or a spirited driving performance, FE figures of the Eon / i10 would demoralize any Hyundai owner. Given good road conditions and/or sedate driving style, the Eon / i10 would excite any Hyundai owner.
. At times, I have been surprised hearing to the contrasting fuel-efficiency figures of most Hyundai owners. Of all the brands, I think only Hyundai cars give such varied figures depending on the owners' driving style and the road conditions. I never got more than 13.5 km/l in my Santro while a colleague of mine regularly used to get 16 km/l. In contrast, my pal's relative who bought a Santro in 2009 sold it off in 2010 because the car never returned more than 9 km/l in the one year they had owned it.
Old 14th February 2012, 18:21   #84
BHPian

I have been having an eon for a little over 1 month now . For the first 15 odd days when i was driving the car the fuel average was 14.0 KMPL.

Subsequently my wife drives the car now ( learning ) and the Fe is 10.50 KMPL.

My first service is due shortly and i am considering change in engine oil and filter though not recommended by hyundai .
I think that engine oil change after first 1k Kms was most important and have been doing that so far for all my cars. After that as per what manufacturer says.

Thinking if i should go for Mobil1 synthetic . Anyway car takes only 2.5 litres and needs service just once a year.
Old 15th February 2012, 20:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
. At times, I have been surprised hearing to the contrasting fuel-efficiency figures of most Hyundai owners.
I agree with that arvi86, a friend of mine has a Hyundai i10 automatic and gets an average 8-10kmpl in the city on WE highway. the same car when taken on expressway to pune and return gave an amazing 18kmpl. I cite this example because here with the automatic transmission the driver's drivability is not really the factor, its just the road condition and speed thats giving such a contrast on the same car.
Coming back to the actual comparison on two similar models, No two cars can be exactly similar in performance but such contrasting FE figures as quoted by you are really surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
For the first 15 odd days when i was driving the car the fuel average was 14.0 KMPL.
Subsequently my wife drives the car now ( learning ) and the Fe is 10.50 KMPL.
My first service is due shortly and i am considering change in engine oil and filter though not recommended by hyundai .
Hi Manish, nearabout 14kmpl is what many of us are getting, ofcourse its a relatively new car for all of us and we can wait for few more months until we have multiple readings and thousands on the odo.
what is the reason for changing the engine oil and filter? Do you expect any difference in performance?
My first service was just a casual customary obligation, except for the wash therewas nothing worthwhile
Do keep updating.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:04   #86

Hey all! Congratulations to everyone who purchased the Eon recently - I think it is a very well balanced car for people (like myself) who value comfort and space over power.

I have booked the 2012 Magna+ myself at Shreenath Motors, Mumbai (OTR cost about 3.8L). Expected date of delivery is sometime next week. For those in Mumbai thinking about taking the plunge with a Hyundai, I would recommend against Asset Hyundai, as I went through a very bad experience with them.
rocker_01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 20:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker_01 View Post
Hey all! Congratulations to everyone who purchased the Eon recently - I think it is a very well balanced car for people (like myself) who value comfort and space over power.

I have booked the 2012 Magna+ myself at Shreenath Motors, Mumbai (OTR cost about 3.8L). Expected date of delivery is sometime next week. For those in Mumbai thinking about taking the plunge with a Hyundai, I would recommend against Asset Hyundai, as I went through a very bad experience with them.
Congrats rocker_01 on your new car. i have a EON magna myself and i bought it from Modi Hyundai.
Do you know what is the difference between the old Magna and the new Magna+, please update?

The car is really good and in my four months of ownership i have had no issues at all with the car. looking forward to hear from you about your first few drives and ownership experience.
Drive Safe.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:09   #88
BHPian

@mahen_narang: Congrats on the new buy and thanks for the detailed review. A quick question: Are there other factors than the outdated design of the Alto that made you choose the Eon over the Alto? Just curious... My sister is planning to buy a car and is contemplating between the 2 - Alto & Eon. The only downside we've heard so far is the shaky gear lever, but would like to know if there are really any other worrisome factors. Thanks!

Last edited by Iluvcars : 6th March 2012 at 10:11.
Old 6th March 2012, 20:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
@mahen_narang: Congrats on the new buy and thanks for the detailed review. A quick question: Are there other factors than the outdated design of the Alto that made you choose the Eon over the Alto? Just curious... My sister is planning to buy a car and is contemplating between the 2 - Alto & Eon. The only downside we've heard so far is the shaky gear lever, but would like to know if there are really any other worrisome factors. Thanks!
Well, after 4 months of possesion, i am in a better position to answer your question now than what i could had when i bought EON.
EON is definitely lot more spacious than Alto. Seating position for the driver is higher as compared to that in an Alto. Talk of the internal design and quality, well, there is no comparison on that ground, Hyundai beats Maruti for sure leave alone EON versus Alto. Within the EON variants, i would say that in the versions with the inbuilt stereo the dash board looks a lot more cool, trendy and expensive than the other counterparts.
EON has a new curvacious outer design that is class apart from the boxy, bland straights of Alto (i would put WagonR as well in that category)
The boot space in EON is a lot more than Alto. Rear seating space would be comparable, again, i have only seen that of an Alto, you may please check on these aspects yourself.

Beyond the above cosmetics, Incase of handling, i cant really compare since i have not driven an Alto, but for EON i can say that it is a very good city car. the steering is light and i like the turning radius as well, U Turns are really effortless, quick and smooth. This was experienced during the test driver as well.

AC is good, suspensions are good (actual test will be when Mumbai craters are back during monsoons )

Yes you mention it right, the shaking gear lever was a big negative for me when initially, but over a period of time i have seen the same reduced for sure on the third and fourth gears. i am anyways used to it and dont find it bothering now, so thats no longer a negatie from me.

FE is still under analysis, 14-15 is what most of us on this forum have reported. i am not sure about Alto in this department.

Lastly, if you dont mind spending a little extra for the preminum EON offers then i would suggest ask your sister to go for it. I am sure there will be no regrets.

All the Best.
mahen_narang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 08:51   #90
BHPian

Thanks Mahen! I really appreciate your detailed reply. I heard FEs is in the range of 20 but again I heard that's comparable to that of Alto. This is going to be a city car for them and for occasional less than 200 KMs long-drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks