Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 11:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I have some serious neighbour's envy when it comes to your garage.

Congratulations on the vRS, it's a great ride. If I was crunching a fewer number of miles every month I would've seriously considered it as an option to the Cruze.

All the best with your exams and I'm looking forward to some pics.
Talking about neighbours, where do you stay? Seeing your Cruze pics I recognised it at somewhere around Worli? Anyway thanks buddy, your Cruze is looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
I really have been having dreams about this car now since we last spoke about it :P. I've been checking into this thread everyday and I think I've read the official t-bhp review atleast 5 times now. Looks like I have a lot of convincing to do at home to get this as a replacement to my civic. Congratulations on yet another enthusiasts wet dream car addition to your drool worthy garage.

We should meet post exams, your anyway gonna get done sooner than me. Let me know when you intend to do the photoshoot, would love to accompany you for it.

For now, drive safe :P

Regards
I wen't through the review even more, the wait was killing. Its a good replacement to the Civic, but you will miss out on climate control. I'll let you know when I'm planning on taking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Congrats Akshay! That's a drool-worthy machine Spoiled for choice you are!
Do post some nice pics. Am especially keen on seeing some nice interior shots. Have you driven the Laura TSI? If so, what kind of differences have you felt between the TSI & RS? Engine's pretty much tuned the same, but what about handling and ride?
The engine is tuned exactly the same, but from whatever little I remember of the tsi the ride on that was more plush, and it had more body roll. Will get the pics asap.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 11:38   #32
BHPian

Hello,
Congratulations on the new purchase
RS badging has always been close to my heart and with all that usable power and torque, this is a best buy, i hav driven an octavia RS and it was a beast but could be tamed, i will be monitoring this thread closely as this is one of the shortlisted cars i want to but in near future, and yes i am also following the cruze thread by ghostrider as it is the only one which can give this car a run for its money

Please keep us updated with Pics, any issues and mainly the After sales service as it is one area we all know is very critical

Happy Driving
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 18:41   #33
Team-BHP Support

Another little bit on the car, two things which were missed in the official td over here.

1) How to activate DRLs on the vRS. The cars come with them switched off by default, though they are activated already. To switch them on all that needs to be done is -
-Insert key in and turn on ignition, don't crank the engine.
-Within 3 seconds pull the high beam lever towards yourself, and while keeping it pulled towards yourself immediately push it up and keep it there till you hear a beep.
-The DRLs are active, and as bright as the Mercedes C,E,S class ones.
-To turn them off follow the same procedure except you push the lever down after pulling it towards you.

2) How to open sunroof fully. Again in the review its mentioned the sunroof does not open completely, about 2-3 inches of the glass remains there and it does not retract completely. It can open fully -
-The sunroof rotary switch should be moved till the position which opens it, this is called comfort position.
-Most people will think the switch does not move further because there is resistance.
-The switch should be twisted further to the right past the resistance, and held there till the sunroof opens fully.
-Since it is spring held the switch will move back to the comfort position but the sunroof will be open fully.

There are other little things which I like on this car.
-The fact that the mirrors can be folded with the keys, and opened with them.
-The volume goes down when reverse gear is selected so you can hear the beeps.
-The tire pressure sensor is actually pretty accurate, it surprised me.
-DRLs really are pretty bright, and look awesome and get many stares.
-The adaptive headlights go up, down, left and right on start up which looks cool.
-The swivelling headlights are really very helpful, and now if I drive the Bimmer or the Accord I miss them.
-If you select the right mirror to adjust, the left adjusts along with it. Useful.
-The manual AC works fine, its almost like climate control with manual buttons, everything is electronic. I thought climate control was one thing I would miss, but I'm not.

Few things which I miss are steering controls which would have made life much easier, and bluetooth again for the same reason.

Will write more on the driving experience, etc next.
Old 4th March 2012, 19:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Great Pictures Buddy.

The car looks awesome.The 16inch wheels dont look that small at all.They fill up the arches really well.
Paint the Calipers Electric Blue in this too.It'll look Hot.

What Make are these HSNP's?Utsav has shut down.
The amount of brake dust on the alloys show you are enjoying this beast to the fullest.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 00:09   #35
Team-BHP Support

Here are more exterior pics, interior pics next -TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1578.jpg

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1579.jpg

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1589.jpg

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1591.jpg

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1599.jpg

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1594.jpg

Mod Note: Some pics moved to first post for everyone's viewing pleasure . Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by noopster : 5th March 2012 at 10:25.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:43   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread Akshay and congratulations on adding this beast to your already formidable stable. As disappointing as it is that Skoda didn't plonk the 200 BHP TSI engine into this, it is really a great car and wish you many happy miles in it!

Just curious- why didn't you go for the sporty yellow hue? White looks rather too refined for a vRS!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Talking about neighbours, where do you stay? Seeing your Cruze pics I recognised it at somewhere around Worli? Anyway thanks buddy, your Cruze is looking good.
Worli indeed. Where did you see the car and when?
I see you took the pics at Pochkanwalla Road near the INS Trata. Nice.

Last edited by ghostrider : 5th March 2012 at 11:08.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:58   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Great thread Akshay and congratulations on adding this beast to your already formidable stable. As disappointing as it is that Skoda didn't plonk the 200 BHP TSI engine into this, it is really a great car and wish you many happy miles in it!

Just curious- why didn't you go for the sporty yellow hue? White looks rather too refined for a vRS!
Thanks noops, well it was white because my father didn't want to go to office in a yellow car

Quote:
Worli indeed. Where did you see the car and when?
Oh I saw Palais Royale in the background on one of your pics, and recognised the area. Haven't seen the car yet.

Skoda just wants everyone to know that this is a vRS -
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1582.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1584.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1590.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1596.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th March 2012 at 11:00.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 11:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-The fact that the mirrors can be folded with the keys, and opened with them.
-The volume goes down when reverse gear is selected so you can hear the beeps.

-The adaptive headlights go up, down, left and right on start up which looks cool.
-The swivelling headlights are really very helpful, and now if I drive the Bimmer or the Accord I miss them.
-If you select the right mirror to adjust, the left adjusts along with it. Useful.
These features are really great. But I feel Skoda should deliver the car with DRLs turned ON as standard. Many owners would not know about it else.

I am still wondering why Skoda has not given ACC, especially when the car is loaded to the gills.

Same is the case with VW Jetta.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 11:41   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My GAWD Your garage has absolutely evolved in the last 2 years! Looking good man. Heartiest congratulations on the driving machine.

Quote:
The Jetta is overpriced IMO
So is the Laura IMHO. Honestly, if you are looking to buy a car for 15 - 20 lakhs, 1 lakh rupees in comparing different models shouldn't make a difference for the car you really want. I'd pay this 1 lakh for the Jetta's looks alone (BTW, my brother just got home a Jetta 6-speed MT on Saturday).

Quote:
The vRS (called RS from now on ) was also being given at a similar discount as the TSI.
Please share the exact discount so it helps other petrol-heads. Thanks

This car has the benchmark petrol engine for <20 lakhs. It actually makes the Japanese look wimpy.

Quote:
The steering lacks feel, and can make someone hesitant to push the car on turns.
True. The steering is the only part I don't like about the vRS (especially compared to the Octavia).

Congrats again, good luck with the exams and do drive safe!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:30   #41
Team-BHP Support

Here are the interior pics, hope you all have liked the pics -
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1583.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1585.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1586.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1595.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1597.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1600.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1603.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1607.jpg  

Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 13:17   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
These features are really great. But I feel Skoda should deliver the car with DRLs turned ON as standard. Many owners would not know about it else.

I am still wondering why Skoda has not given ACC, especially when the car is loaded to the gills.

Same is the case with VW Jetta.
They should deliver it with DRLs turned on. Though at least now if anyone reading my thread buys a vRS they will know how to do so. I've seen only one other vRS in Mumbai yet, that too with DRLs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My GAWD Your garage has absolutely evolved in the last 2 years! Looking good man. Heartiest congratulations on the driving machine.

Please share the exact discount so it helps other petrol-heads. Thanks

This car has the benchmark petrol engine for <20 lakhs. It actually makes the Japanese look wimpy.

True. The steering is the only part I don't like about the vRS (especially compared to the Octavia).

Congrats again, good luck with the exams and do drive safe!
Thanks, yes I'm pretty lucky as far as the garage is concerned. Wait another year and a half and it will get even better.

The discount was almost a lac.

This engine is a real gem, its got power and refinement. Actually I take my words back about it being too silent, its got a nice growl when revved, and the exhaust has a bit of a bassy note. Possibly that is only for the vRS.

Steering feel especially after the e90 feels like nothing. It feels disconnected even compared to the Honda.

Will be putting up more about the car in the next few days.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:34   #43
BHPian

Fantastic pics indeed.

Did you figure out the trick with the DRLs by trawling the net or did they tell you this at the showroom?
Also, I noticed from the pics that the rotary knob for the lights has separate positions for low beams, high beams, front fogs and rear fogs. Does this mean that you can either have the headlights OR the fogs on but not both?
The Cruze has the switch configured differently...there's a rotary dial (not a knob) with a button in the center for the fogs, so you can have both on if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img2012030500084.jpg  

Old 5th March 2012, 14:52   #44
BHPian

Congrats, Akshay. You indeed have a great garage.

Quote:
Fantastic pics indeed.

Did you figure out the trick with the DRLs by trawling the net or did they tell you this at the showroom?
Also, I noticed from the pics that the rotary knob for the lights has separate positions for low beams, high beams, front fogs and rear fogs. Does this mean that you can either have the headlights OR the fogs on but not both?
The Cruze has the switch configured differently...there's a rotary dial (not a knob) with a button in the center for the fogs, so you can have both on if you want.
@Ghostrider: The knob needs to be pulled once for the front fogs and twice for the front and rear fogs. It can be used along with the head lights. The high beam is controlled by the left hand lever under the steering. The two beam symbols in the picture, left of the knob are front and rear fog symbols. The right most symbol above the knob is low beam, the center one is for parking lights.

Hope that helps.

Akshay, Correct me if things have changed in newer Skoda's.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 5th March 2012, 16:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Steering feel especially after the e90 feels like nothing. It feels disconnected even compared to the Honda.
Oh well, thats an unfair comparison - especially with the E90

Does the tyre change impact the steering feel? I remember reading in one fellow member's ownership thread that his Vento steering went completely lifeless after tyre upgrade (to Yoko IIRC), so much that he changed the shoes again after a few 100 kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks