Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 08:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai I20: Comprehensive Review

This is a great in depth review. Its really well written and very detailed. I've always been a big fan of the i20. Thank god they've added abs to the sportz variant now. One thing i see, is the car needs 15 inchers. it looks a bit disproportionate, the 14 inchers. Somehow at the back of my mind i always imagined this car to come with similar alloys like the ones on the fluidic verna.
whats the booking period like? i guess its doing pretty well because i havent seen ads in the newspaper after the day of the launch.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sid - Excellent review! Worth every one of the five stars! I was waiting for this ever since the face-lifted i20 came out. This certainly is a desirable hatch - more than ever now with all those extra goodies. Looks... well - personally I quite liked the pre face-lifted model - but I guess that is subjective.
We'll have to wait a while to get a verdict on the steering rattle matter.
Any idea about the auto transmission? Have they brought out an improved slush box?
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:56   #33
BHPian

Great review Sid! Rated 5 stars!
I like the old looks better than this and 9L+ on-road is too pricey for a hatch.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:59   #34

I wonder why Hyundai didn't use this opportunity to improve the fluidic i20's air-conditioning to be at least on par of their earlier offerings (i10, verna and even the last gen Sonata)?
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

To the moderators: Could spot a couple of typos in this review. Sorry guys.
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
Excellent review Sid - I am extremely close to finalizing my decision to buy the i20 2012 Sportz Auto. In 2012, the Auto is no longer available in the Asta version (INR 9,20,319/- on road Mumbai, individual registration) and is now available only in Sportz version (INR 9,09,829 on road Mumbai, individual registration).

Nevertheless, I am just too keen on the Auto Hatch for my wife (other options being an i10 and some Maruti model) and i20 fits the bill

Note from Support - Smiley usage restricted to two per post only. Please read through the rules in the Announcements section.
Suggest you also take a look at the new Dzire automatic before you make up your mind. May not be as feature rich and does not have airbags but if you can live with that I think it would be a lot cheaper and compact enough for town use. And I suspect the AT box would be a bit more efficient than the i20 one.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

I like the design overall, but somehow it doesn't strike the chord with your heart. The front end looks like batman or superman wearing glasses, I will still prefer the older looks of the car.

Let's wait for the ownership reviews to see if the issues in the older car have been sorted out or not. I am curious to know the status of the steering rattle issue from the older car. Only time will tell. I hope Hyundai has listened to some customer feedback before bringing out this model.

A great review overall.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:02   #38
BHPian

Nicely done facelift . The features are really amazing, but are they really durable, and if there is an issue, what are the cost in repairing it?
Surely it has become a costly hatch to own and maintain.

15" are a must for a 8L car. Hell lot of variants, 4.7L to 9L to choose from. Why don't any manufacturer give AT in the base and mid variants also.

If people are not obsessed with the name 'sedan' surely this is great buy even though it costs similar to a sedan. Shorter length, amazing features, similar cabin space and adequate boot space will make people aged 35+ prefer this as compared to a sedan.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Sid .
Saw the test drive car today and boy !!!! it looked nice.
I was kinda disappointed with the looks of the new i20 when saw the pictures posted, but i must say the car looked really nice when i saw it in flesh today.

So guys dont just go by the pictures posted online , have a look @ the car, it really looks beautiful.
It must have lost its macho looks , but still looks nice.

Cheers.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review Sid. I couldn't digest the new looks when I first saw it in scoop pic until I came across a maharaja red i20 which was parked outside a showroom last morning. It looks stunning. The new fog lamps complements the front design perfectly.

Is the thud noise from the suspension still exists? It was a common issue with old generation i20s when negotiating pot holes and speed breakers.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:48   #41
BHPian

Well written & comprehensive review Sid. Good job. Seeing the number of comments on this forum, it is evident that few people maybe inclined towards the i20. The new version is gizmo and feature packed no doubt. Unless the earlier problems are sorted out (which only an owner's review can confirm), this car might just meet with average success.

Can't understand why fuel efficiency and distance to empty features have been skipped. The gear change indication is hardly useful IMO. An adept driver will always know when to change gears without relying on the gear change indications.

The Civic style digital speed readout looks redundant when the analog speedometer is already present. What's the point in having both digital & analog displays!

The 6 speed diesel MT is excellent on paper. Hyundai should be commended for providing all four disc brakes in a hatch. Handling still seems to be sub-par like other Hyundais. Suspension thud sound is not very encouraging.

Large boot space coupled with 60:40 rear seat split are very practical and well thought out features (unlike the Swift).

Last edited by fuel_addict : 27th April 2012 at 11:51.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:15   #42
BHPian

Excellent review. Hyundai always gives jazzy stuff in their vehicle, but that does not altogether rule out the bad and expensive *** that they provide.

Hope the rattling and steering issues does not crop up with this version.
Review supposedly taken at Sarita Vihar Metro Station with Hyundai showroom nearby.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:39   #43
BHPian

Ah, the looks of the new i20 is starting to grow on me after seeing a few on the road and the showroom! The front fogs are huge and somehow gel well into the design curves of the front bumper.

Great review. The top end versions should have had 15 inchers.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:57   #44
BHPian

Wow a really detailed review.

Hyundai takes the indian market very seriously and is evident from the way they are bringin things up. Am particularly impressed with the i20's Interiors and the lamps used.

They could have easily done with round fog lamps but instead have chosen to give the costlier triangular profile ones. These cost a lot compared to the circular ones.

Also the New Rear View Mirror with revese cam, not many premium sedans also posses this feature. Hyundai surely has a winner here
Old 28th April 2012, 10:48   #45
BHPian

Thanks for a very comprehensive review Sid. I agree with your comment that Hyundai ownership costs are just going up and up. Something that I don't see mentioned in too many posts. I own a Hyundai Verna 2008 model, and apart from the engine which is a hoot to drive - something or the other always needs fixing. The high cost of ownership is making me seek an alternative - even before my 5 years with the car is up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks