Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 09:24   #3301
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
They were rats indeed (no need for me to get happy since the problem does not end here).
My wiper hose pipe and the Autocop wire got chewed once.

I also had to do some searching for the tobacco leaf. I got the long tobacco leaf from a small shop near my locality. It costs Rs. 6.00 per stick with leaves(long one). It is called "Hogge Soppu" in Kannada which means smoke leaves. Some people chew on this as a habit, just like smoking a cigar.

I have used this only once. I have not had a rat issue for quite some time and hence have not tried this after the first time.

Last edited by ampere : 9th December 2018 at 10:43. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Aerobat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 17:06   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
I have used this only once. I have not had a rat issue for quite some time and hence have not tried this after the first time.
It would be great if you could tell me where you got these leaves. I am ok to travel some distance to procure some of these and then keep one as a sample for my next buy nearby home. Certainly never used the kannada term to ask for these but can try my luck. It is ok to spend on fuel to prevent issues costing much much more than it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
I booked for the All new Ertiga 2018 today.
Got a chance to have a close look at Ertiga 2018. I have Ertiga 2016 and hence curiosity was evident. Had gone for my Ertiga's general checkup today.
1. Last row is indeed usable for adults of around my height (5'8"). Legs can be stretched below the first row seats by second row passengers. This is troublesome in my Ertiga.
2. Third row entry improved. Definitely noticeable.
3. Bit more boot area with tray underneath. Is bigger and much usable.
4. Dashboard looks changed and I did not like it. Too flat to my taste. Same power window switches. Same dirt catching beige interior. Seat covers inevitable to protect the fabric. Front row armrest is short and did not feel as usable as the one I have in my Ertiga (after-market). I think after-market is better.
5. Since its based on the heartect platform, not sure about safety measures like Swift 2018.
6. GC is reduced by 5mm. Not much of a difference.
Rest is all similar. Did not go for a TD.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2018 at 17:56. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th December 2018, 16:04   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
It would be great if you could tell me where you got these leaves. I am ok to travel some distance to procure some of these and then keep one as a sample for my next buy nearby home. Certainly never used the kannada term to ask for these but can try my luck. It is ok to spend on fuel to prevent issues costing much much more than it.

Got a chance to have a close look at Ertiga 2018. I have Ertiga 2016 and hence curiosity was evident. Had gone for my Ertiga's general checkup today.
1. Last row is indeed usable for adults of around my height (5'8"). Legs can be stretched below first row seats by second row passengers. This is a trouble in my ertiga.
2. Third row entry improved. Definitely noticable.
3. Bit more boot area with tray underneath is bigger and much usable.
4. Dash board look changed and did not like it. Too flat to my taste. Same power window switches. Same dirt catching beige interior. Seat covers inevitable to protect the fabric. Front row arm rest is short and did not as usable as the one I have in my ertiga afterfitted. I think afterfitted is better.
5. Since based on heartect platform not sure about safety measures like Swift 2018.
6. GC is reduced by 5mm. Not much of a difference.
Rest is all similar. Did not go for a TD.
Took some time to respond as I wanted to check if the product is still available. Yes, it is and at the same cost.

Location : Building No. 12, 3rd Main Road, Domlur Layout, Old Airport Road.

Tip : This address location is also known as AK Colony.

Directions :

If coming from Marathalli side, turm left at Shanthi Sagar, Domlur signal. This is 7th Cross. Head straight (Southwards) till you reach Canara Bank.

Turn Right at Canara Bank. This is 3rd Main Road heading Westwards. Pass by board indicating Siddhartha Nagar, Mylari Mess, Odiyan Hair Dressers, 3rd Cross Road (all onto your left). Just after 3rd Cross Road intersection, you will find a building with lots of knik knacks hanging outside. That is the shop.
Aerobat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 18:01   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turn Right at Canara Bank. This is 3rd Main Road heading Westwards. Pass by board indicating Siddhartha Nagar, Mylari Mess, Odiyan Hair Dressers, 3rd Cross Road (all onto your left). Just after 3rd Cross Road intersection, you will find a building with lots of knik knacks hanging outside. That is the shop.
Great. I could see that building as 4th on left from the intersection. Thanks.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 10th December 2018 at 18:03.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:31   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Great. I could see that building as 4th on left from the intersection. Thanks.
Glad to help. Just a suggestion - since this product dries up, it degrades and loses its aromatic properties. Buy only what you need for the present requirement. Buy again when you need to replace.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:53   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to help. Just a suggestion - since this product dries up, it degrades and loses its aromatic properties. Buy only what you need for the present requirement. Buy again when you need to replace.
When you tried that, what was your observation? Are the rats really staying away as long as the smell is there? With the rat sprays, rats stay away for a few days but get used to it after that.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:16   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
When you tried that, what was your observation? Are the rats really staying away as long as the smell is there? With the rat sprays, rats stay away for a few days but get used to it after that.
It has been more than a year, and I have not had a rat incident. I do see plenty of rats still scurrying around, but they have not bothered me.
Aerobat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 11:24   #3308
BHPian

The SDLA (Suzuki Smartphone Linkage Display Audio) System in my Ertiga ZDI+ is locked out after attempting few 4 digit security pins and it is displaying a message on a constant black screen:

"System has been locked. Contact your dealer."

Have anyone faced this, and know a way out to unlock?

I will be anyway visiting the Service Station in weekend. Trying in this forum if there is a way out, and so by I can save time visiting the service station.

Manual has to say this:
If security PIN protection has been enabled, the security PIN input screen will appear whenever the device has been separated from the operating voltage of the vehicle (e.g. in case of the replacement of the vehicle battery):
1. "Notes: If you have not entered the correct security PIN for the device, the “Wrong security PIN” notification appears briefly and the number of remaining input attempts is displayed.
2. If you enter an incorrect security PIN 5 times, the device will be blocked and an appropriate notification displayed. Please contact your dealer to get the device unblocked.
Old 15th January 2019, 20:35   #3309
Senior - BHPian

My ertiga has crossed 31k kms in 2 years. OEM tyres are JK. They have served well till date. If I need to go with a replacement and an upgrade I think there is no choice but to replace all 5 tyres right? And the spare tyre is never used. Any suggestions here please.
Secondly could somebody explain the mystery of three number plates rule applicable from April? How does it apply to old cars?
Old 16th January 2019, 18:23   #3310
BHPian

My Ertiga met with an accident two weeks back when an Army Truck hit it on the left side. I was driving at around 30-40 KMPH and suddenly felt a loud thud and judder, checked and saw a huge behemoth breaking right before my eyes. It was foggy and I couldn't see much and the truck driver apologised and said that he couldn't spot the car despite my parking lights being on. The Leyland stallion is a beast of a vehicle and i couldn't spot any damage on it's bumper , however my car had huge dents below the back window pane and also my door was banged in seriously. On top of that i could even see the metal cracked open in one place.

Can't blame the build quality in this case, anybody getting banged by such a monster is going to incur damages and so made peace with it, despite the army guy apologising and even insisting that if i wanted he can call his CO and then we can decide further. Decided on not wasting my time and went for Insurance. The car came back from MASS and the denting and painting job has been satisfactorily handled although i lost one part of my body graphics which I had on the car. The graphics will take some time to come ,so hopefully i will be able to get them soon as well. The service guy said that the car has actually taken the impact quite well.

Now comes the catch, in the service station they concluded that one of the engine mounts had gone bad so they had to replace it. I had actually noticed some vibration post 1500 rpm and was planning to get it checked. So had to get one of the mounts replaced and the problem of vibration has since subsided. However my vehicle is a shade over four years old and has done 72500 kms. Was not expecting one of the mounts to go bad so soon. The service centre guys said its no big deal. I am however not too convinced, I think somewhere along the line the overall build quality, long term reliability of Marutis is now not that great.

Though the car admittedly took the impact well , i think seeing the crash results of the heartect platform one can't be sure on the sturdiness of the new ertiga. Also i think overall reliability also should ensure that engine mounts , suspension components should remain stock till about 150000 kms. That is what Toyota excels at and i think Maruti seriously falls short in this department.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:49   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Now comes the catch, in the service station they concluded that one of the engine mounts had gone bad so they had to replace it. I had actually noticed some vibration post 1500 rpm and was planning to get it checked. So had to get one of the mounts replaced and the problem of vibration has since subsided. However my vehicle is a shade over four years old and has done 72500 kms. Was not expecting one of the mounts to go bad so soon. The service centre guys said its no big deal. I am however not too convinced, I think somewhere along the line the overall build quality, long term reliability of Marutis is now not that great.
72,000 Km is early for replacement of Engine mounts. I had got mine checked once around 122,000 Km and the service center confirmed that all the mounts are in good shape. This was when I got the EGR and manifolds cleaned during a regular service.

My car is also running on stock suspension (changed bushes for front structs only once) at 165,000 Km. In WagonR, I changed all the suspension first at 77,000 Km and second time at 147,000 Km. Considering the fact that my usage is in City and highway and in all types of roads, I felt the components really have lasted long. I really don't pamper the car on bad roads.

Did the center show you the existing mounts that were replaced and how did they conclude it were the mounts? If you were facing vibrations on acceleration (between 70-90 Kmph), it is more likely the clutch than the engine mounts. If you felt vibrations at idle, it could be bad injection (clogged injectors) and then I will blame the mounts.

All said and done, I feel 72,000 Km is early for engine mounts to give away, in a Diesel Ertiga.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 10:04   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Also i think overall reliability also should ensure that engine mounts , suspension components should remain stock till about 150000 kms. .
I noticed a gradual increase in engine vibrations at cold start from fourth year onwards in my Ertiga, and the diagnosis was a weak engine mount. Vibrations were no way severe and only someone who drove the car over the years could make out the increase. My service advisor has shown another Ertiga and Swift of comparable age and they too had similar vibrations and assured me that I can drive with the present mounts for few more years before they need to be replaced. I thought I will observe for some more time and change them for peace of mind if needed.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:20   #3313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
All said and done, I feel 72,000 Km is early for engine mounts to give away, in a Diesel Ertiga.
No Parag mine is a petrol Ertiga and yes they showed me the mount. The Problem has gone away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I noticed a gradual increase in engine vibrations at cold start from fourth year onwards in my Ertiga, and the diagnosis was a weak engine mount. Vibrations were no way severe and only someone who drove the car over the years could make out the increase. My service advisor has shown another Ertiga and Swift of comparable age and they too had similar vibrations and assured me that I can drive with the present mounts for few more years before they need to be replaced. I thought I will observe for some more time and change them for peace of mind if needed.
Well yes, mine was the same problem;the diagnosis was a weak mount , however the vibrations were not earth shattering yet they were somewhat irritating to a person like me who is used to the inherent refinement of a petrol unit. The Petrol K14 is a very smooth engine and is almost silent at idle so one can really make out the vibrations , that was the reason i went with the replacement. The whole point is it's still too early for the mount to give away.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th January 2019 at 11:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 20:53   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

Completed 35,000 KMs mark on my 2016 petrol Ertiga yesteray after 2.5 years. The journey has been cool and smooth. I am mainly using it for my trips to native (Goa, 600+KMs one side) with consistent highway mileage of around 18KMPL with 100% AC (3-4 occupants including me + moderate to heavy luggage) and about 11-12KMPL in Bangalore with 50% AC (1-2 occupants), which I feel is very good considering the size and weight of this beast.
There is still a lot of life in stock tyres and I am hoping they will last for another 15-20K. There was only one puncture as of today (thanks to the construction sites nearby dumping wooden blocks with sharp nails popping out). One issue was seen in rear suspensions about 1.5 years ago and was fixed under warranty (this was commonly reported in early 2014 Ertigas and somehow was seen in my Ertiga too). And yeah, once the wind shield wiper sprayer tube was eaten up by rats in my parking lot .
I am bit curious to check on Ertiga owners for the life they got with stock tyres (they are JK vectra in my case).
In short am really happy with this pick
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 22:09   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am bit curious to check on Ertiga owners for the life they got with stock tyres (they are JK vectra in my case).
In short am really happy with this pick
Good to see you are enjoying the Ertiga. It's a very good highway cruiser.

My stock tyres lasted 65k, could have continued another 5k, grip was good but we're getting noisy!
Mine were MRF ZVTV. I am sure you will have no issues lasting 50k, beyond which you might also find them noisy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2019 at 23:02. Reason: Typo.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks