Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 09:07   #3361
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

On January 21, 2017, our family collectively chose and got the Ertiga Zxi. Here’s an update on my Ertiga as it enters its 8th year.
- 74114kms clocked till date with an average of 14.75km/L (max speed of 110kmph)
- Total Service cost incurred of 54k till date, with an additional cost of 35k for Tyres, Battery, WA/WB, Wipers and others.
- While most of the mileage has been clocked on the Panaji to Bangalore route, there have been many getaways trips too with the longest trip being Panaji to Ladakh & back clocking 7172kms over 29 days, and other trips to Nashik, Mahabalipuram & Ooty.

A glimpse into our trip to Ladakh> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...guide-161.html (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)

That’s a pic of our custom rear windshield sticker of our Ladakh trip.
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20240121_083843.jpg

- The Ertiga suspension provided a comfortable ride on the well-maintained roads of Goa, known for their smooth surfaces over the years. However, it faced challenges during approximately 40 trips through Anmod Ghat during its expansion phase and on the roads in Jammu and Kashmir as well as Ladakh, revealing imperfection in suspension and hence severe rattles. Despite these specific instances, the Ertiga demonstrated overall good performance, handling well in various weather conditions and in different terrains!

That’s a pic of our Ertiga enroute to Thang (LoC).
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-nearing-turtuk.jpg

Replaced parts
- The stock tyres were GY Assurance 185/65 and were replaced at 44000km with GY Assurance 195/65 (cost of 5400 per tyre/GOA). With the 195, the drive quality improved substantially & the suspension felt better. Have noticed a 3% reduction in mileage reading while upgrading to 195.
- Had to replace the suspension stabilizer bars while we were enroute to Ladakh, owing to poor road conditions in Gujarat and Jammu-Srinagar. We got this done in Srinagar in 2hours flat and then back on the road. Hats off to MSIL Service network!
- Prior to the Ladakh trip, the Battery was changed at 54000km/5.5yrs (cost of 3500/BLR) as a precautionary measure. Also the front brake pads were changed.
- Wipers have been changed on a yearly basis and have got the best results with the Valeo set of wipers.
- A lot of broken parts remain unreplaceable: A broken AC vent grill, a missing chrome trim and an AC vent adjuster. (All dislodged due to rattling over rough roads)
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-broken-parts.jpg

On a friend’s recommendation, started using the Iftex additive, and after a tankful have experienced a better engine ‘grunt’ and improved mileage. Have continued to use this on a regular basis. Have observed that costs of service/spares & replacements were more cost effective in Bangalore than Goa.
Things I’m looking to upgrade/add and need our fellow BHPians inputs
- Need a recommendation for better sound insulation with a damping material and where it can be done in Bangalore.
- An upgrade from the stock headlight bulbs (cost effective Plug n play upgrade)
- Recommendation of a better engine oil. (Shell or Motul)
Come 2025, I will find myself in a challenging situation, torn between the decision to find a suitable replacement or stick with my current Ertiga. With touring being a primary consideration, I am contemplating whether to keep my existing Ertiga or potentially upgrade to the newer model. Currently, I don't see any viable alternatives, considering factors such as service and spares availability, comfort, and practicality – the Ertiga appears to be the most suitable option for me in these circumstances.
Regards,
Chorispao
chorispao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:46   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
Currently, I don't see any viable alternatives, considering factors such as service and spares availability, comfort, and practicality – the Ertiga appears to be the most suitable option for me in these circumstances.
Regards,
Chorispao
Patraó, you made my day with this post, amazing. Yeah, no real replacement for Ertiga. Did you try Kia Carens? Surely more expensive but perhaps comparable.
My 2016 Vxi ertiga is also in 8th year with 62K on Odo and doing excellent.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 02:02   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
-An upgrade from the stock headlight bulbs (cost effective Plug n play upgrade)
I'd suggest Philps Rally 100/90W with a good quality relay and wiring harness. It's been recommended many times on this thread and for good reason, I have personally been running the same setup and the lighting is a huge step up from the stock 60/55 bulbs.

Quote:
-Recommendation of a better engine oil. (Shell or Motul)
I use Liqui Moly Molygen and it's been great for me, you could probably give it a try. I've also heard very good things about the Shell Helix Ultra.

Piyush.

Last edited by shandilyapiyush : 24th January 2024 at 02:09.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 14:51   #3364

My Ertiga is a 2017 August car which is in pristine condition because it has clocked only 22k in the 6.5 years I've owned it. The service advisor is always astonished looking at my car's odo.
The itch to upgrade is there but something that offers VFM as good as a first gen Ertiga simply does not exist.
All the plastic parts in my car have held up wonderfully nothing wrong with them.
Old 11th February 2024, 15:15   #3365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakbir74 View Post
My Ertiga is a 2017 August car which is in pristine condition because it has clocked only 22k in the 6.5 years I've owned it. The service advisor is always astonished looking at my car's odo.
The itch to upgrade is there but something that offers VFM as good as a first gen Ertiga simply does not exist.
All the plastic parts in my car have held up wonderfully nothing wrong with them.
I am driving Ertiga, October 2016, VXI and have no plans to sell off for another 5 years. It has clocked 62K and going very very strong. With thinner outer body of newer Marutis this Ertiga is something way better. Amazing interiors holding like day 1. Yet another example is my friend's Ertiga in Mumbai that he bought in same year, clocked 1 lakh and finally sold in 2023. He drove from Mumbai to Kanyakumari and again Mumbai to Leh. All these data points clearly say only one thing, retain the car as much as you can
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 20:20   #3366
BHPian

Changed the brake pads today!

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-pxl_20240224_072100383.jpg

I used Rane pads along with Toyota rubber grease for the pins and Liqui Moly Anti Squeal where there would metal to metal contact. Changed the caliper pins too.
My old pads were ≈50k kms old and had uneven wear on the drivers side due to a swollen anti rattle sleeve on the caliper pins.
Rane part number: RBL/DP/033 R812M

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-pxl_20240224_143146291.night.jpg

Driver's side pads had uneven wear

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-pxl_20240224_101245830.mp.jpg

LM anti squeal paste has a bright blue colour to it.

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-pxl_20240224_1034487882.jpg

New pads installed.

Cheers,
Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 00:38   #3367
BHPian

Hi
Don’t apply the paste on the entire hub face. Just the lip should be good. As prescribed in service manuals of BMW, Hyundai etc.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 18:46   #3368
BHPian

Yesterday, I met with a strange issue while driving on the busy Begur Road. I just joined the road from one of the crossroads, and while turning the car came to a sudden halt with a jerk. I restarted the car and tried to slot it into the first gear when I sensed something was off. It seemed as if the car slotted directly into the third gear instead. I got back to neutral and slotted the lever into the first gear but faced the same issue again. Since I was blocking traffic, I slotted the car in second gear and the vehicle inched forward slowly on half-clutch. Upon changing the gear from #2 to #3, the vehicle seemed to be slotting into the fifth gear. It was as if the first gear was replaced with third gear and the third gear was replaced with the fifth gear. Sensing trouble with the gears, I got off Begur road into one of the bylanes and tried to work the gears again, but to the same results. Infact, the vehicle was moving forward if the reverse gear was engaged.

When I took the car to Suraksha Maruti at their Bommanahalli workshop and gave the vehicle for servicing, they seemed to fix the issue within 10 minutes. Since they had propped the car into the wheel alignment basement and worked from there, I couldn’t exactly see what they did. Once they were done, I was told that the clutch cable bush had gone bad, and they replaced it. Here are the bill contents:

Materials & Parts
01. Bush, Select Cable (Rs. 22.88)

Labour Charges
01. Gear Shift Control Cable - Both Sides (Rs. 808.30)

Has someone faced a similar issue ever? Also, the labor charges seem to be on the higher side; was I overcharged?
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:35   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd19682 View Post
Yesterday, I met with a strange issue while driving on the busy Begur Road. I just joined the road from one of the crossroads, and while turning the car came to a sudden halt with a jerk. I restarted the car and tried to slot it into the first gear when I sensed something was off. It seemed as if the car slotted directly into the third gear instead. I got back to neutral and slotted the lever into the first gear but faced the same issue again. Since I was blocking traffic, I slotted the car in second gear and the vehicle inched forward slowly on half-clutch. Upon changing the gear from #2 to #3, the vehicle seemed to be slotting into the fifth gear. It was as if the first gear was replaced with third gear and the third gear was replaced with the fifth gear. Sensing trouble with the gears, I got off Begur road into one of the bylanes and tried to work the gears again, but to the same results. Infact, the vehicle was moving forward if the reverse gear was engaged.

When I took the car to Suraksha Maruti at their Bommanahalli workshop and gave the vehicle for servicing, they seemed to fix the issue within 10 minutes. Since they had propped the car into the wheel alignment basement and worked from there, I couldn’t exactly see what they did. Once they were done, I was told that the clutch cable bush had gone bad, and they replaced it. Here are the bill contents:

Materials & Parts
01. Bush, Select Cable (Rs. 22.88)

Labour Charges
01. Gear Shift Control Cable - Both Sides (Rs. 808.30)

Has someone faced a similar issue ever? Also, the labor charges seem to be on the higher side; was I overcharged?
I have not faced such an issue with my 2013 Ertiga Diesel. Regarding labour charges - Yes, labour charges for replacing a low cost spare can be high. I have faced similar situations regarding labour charges. They have standard costs for labour as per Maruti Suzuki pricing. Thank you for making us aware about this clutch cable bush issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks