Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 14:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

The review, befits the title! Very comprehensive and an excellent review as always GTO.

The diesel i20 is probably the best all-rounder for someone looking to spend on a premium hatchback. What i like about the new variants most is if one wants ABS, he is not forced to buy the top-end variant. The Sportz variant is also equipped with ABS.

Hyundai has been in the market for long and this launch shows how well they've understood the market. There's a variant for everyone, and you get what you pay for. If the steering rattle issue has been sorted out, it makes the package even better and sales may reach new heights.

The flipside though, is the dynamics and the steering, which continue to disappoint the enthusiast.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:33   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
When I drove both the cars, I was litrelly shocked at the U2's refinement and power on tap.
The refinement is really something else. I'd easily place it on par with some 20 & 30 lakh rupee cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Dear GTO, there was no mention of INDICA VISTA in your chief competitors list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Guess you should have added the Indica in the competition list since you quote about Indica and it too is of the same segment right?
Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I could visibly notice you have mentioned many positive points compared to negative points for the car.
Actually, with the diesel, it was hard to find deal-breaking points. We actually had some brain-storming sessions at the backend. No doubt, the i20 CRDi is the most well-rounded diesel hatchback currently on sale in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Looking at the design of the entire panel where the OEM head unit sits, how on earth is an after market HU supposed to fit there?
Leaving room for after-market headunits isn't a priority for any manufacturer. That said, I'm certain you will be able to source dash kits for after-market audio (got one for my Civic, despite a fully integrated factory system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
how would you compare cars like new dzire and sunny with the i20 ?
Now that we've taken care of the new launches (Ertiga, i20 et al), I'll start working on my Sunny review. Will have it up in early June. You will see comparisons to the i20 & Dzire because they were part of the shortlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
All the cars in the segment are 1.2 petrols so I'm surprised the i20 with its VVT enhanced motor is still coming up short. Maybe its carrying excess weight??
The i10 is a rockstar with the same 1.2L engine in a lesser state of tune, all down to the 200 kilo kerb weight advantage. The power to weight ratio of the i20 & Swift is 78 & 90 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
I noticed you had flat tire while on the test drive, aren't the stock tire tubeless?
Of course they are tubeless tyres. The tubeless type can also suffer a puncture, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Just one thing irritated me no end, though. The correct upsize from stock 185/65R14 would be 195/55R15 and not 195/60R15.
Apologies for the irritation . This has been corrected. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also heard that the i20AT averages only 8kpl at best in town!
Yep, we got 8.5 kpl. That's why a range of 8 - 9 kpl has been mentioned in the AT review post. Some i20 AT owners have reported 9.xx kpl in their Team-BHP review threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvgtr6776 View Post
Was wondering why you left out Skoda Fabia from the list of competitors/comparisons.
The B segment has 12+ hatchbacks and it isn't possible to include them all in each review. Plus, hatchbacks that sell less than 1,000 units a month are largely irrelevant to the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
GTO, can you give a verdict between new i20 1.2 and polo 1.2 engines?
In terms of driveability, the VW Polo left me pleasantly surprised, and is definitely the better motor for traffic conditions. However, selling a 3-cylinder unrefined engine at that price is a big no-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
To the detail like parcel tray bush to avoid rattle. Too good.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I must say looking at the addl features between i20 D Asta and my Figo TDCi titanium, the price diff almost seems justifiable to me
I don't consider the diesel Asta overpriced at all. In fact, it was one of the short-listed cars for my family that *nearly* made it to the garage.

Quote:
From the pics its not very obvious, has the rear seat incline changed or the same?
The backrest angle is still upright.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:41   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post

Unfortunate that they haven't made ABS + airbags standard for a premium hatch like this. Only the Asta & Sports versions get them. And boy, do you have to pay a price for it. Asta costs a whopping 9.13L OTR in Bangalore, while the Sportz is 8.59L OTR. Question is, IS it worth the price?
The Sportz CRDi is around 30K more than the Swift ZDi. For the extra 30K you get quite a lot of features extra and you get the more powerful 1.4L engine with 6 speeds. Boot space of the i20 is almost as much as the Dzire!

I would say the i20 CRDi is a way better option over the Dzire as well as Swift. You get a much more premium car which is well rounded in it's capabilities.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:50   #49
BHPian

Excellent review GTO, detailed as always with very good pictures.
I have always liked this car and with the upgrades it's just got better amonst the hatches.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review as usual (rated 5*). Couple of stupid questions:
1. Kitna deti hai (mileage for the manual variants that you observed during review). Hope I have not missed reading that out.
2. 195/55R15 will improve the steering feel (bit heavy steering), but will it improve the corner carving ability considerably.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 24th May 2012 at 15:09.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:08   #51
BHPian

Excellent review GTO - thanks.

One question lingers - is the Start STOP and keyless entry feature only on the ASTA version?

Does that mean it is not available on the AT at that price?
Old 24th May 2012, 16:46   #52
BHPian

Fantastic review GTO. Seems Hyundai has gone ahead and bettered an already great car. However, would have loved to see a few more bhp's on the 1.2L petrol engine. A sluggish engine is not at all acceptable in such a high quality car. Maybe the 1.2L Honda i-vtec could do justice to it.
Really, the feel of premium-ness is exquisite in the i20. Right from the interiors, to the feature list, the controls;all is classy and you have captured each detail so well that a prospective buyer won't get such a good idea even if they go to the showroom to see the car in person!
rony180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 16:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Just got the price list for the punto. Punto "sports" 90 hp and I20 CRDI asta are costing 8.50 lakh odd OTR Delhi.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:14   #54
BHPian

I was going to ask as to why no Indica Vista in the comparison list and then I saw your reply to others!!. A perfect, comprehensive review. Thanks GTO. Agree with you that i20 Diesel is a very good hatch - except for the vague and imprecise steering.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:43   #55
BHPian

GTO, as usual, Superb review. We bought i20 AT last month to replace Santro for my mom and I was eagerly waiting for your review. However, it didn't come out and I went ahead with i20 AT as there was no better competition with AT availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The refinement is really something else. I'd easily place it on par with some 20 & 30 lakh rupee cars.
+1. The refinement level from 1.4 L AT is just superb and way ahead compared to competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Yep, we got 8.5 kpl. That's why a range of 8 - 9 kpl has been mentioned in the AT review post. Some i20 AT owners have reported 9.xx kpl in their Team-BHP review threads.
We got 10 KPL with 100% in-city and very sedate driving as it's used by my mom only. Fuel consumption is on little bit of high side but again this is expected from petrol engine mated to bare-bone AT tranny but it makes up on hassle free driving experience for your in-city runs.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:00   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Sportz CRDi is around 30K more than the Swift ZDi. For the extra 30K you get quite a lot of features extra and you get the more powerful 1.4L engine with 6 speeds. Boot space of the i20 is almost as much as the Dzire!
The Swift has definitely climbed up the pricing chart. Still, it's one heck of a hatchback with super-wide market appeal. I do agree that the i20 Sportz variant provides the best value of the i20 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Kitna deti hai
Owners of the pre-facelift i20 report FE of:

1.2L : 10.7 / 15.2 (city & highway)
1.4L D : 13.2 / 18.9

This is in crowded metro-style driving. I don't expect the facelift to be much different.

Quote:
195/55R15 will improve the steering feel (bit heavy steering), but will it improve the corner carving ability considerably.
With the i20's loose highway behaviour, you can use all the additional grip you can get. 195mm Michelin or Yokohama tyres will greatly improve the on-road behaviour, over the 185mm Apollos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
One question lingers - is the Start STOP and keyless entry feature only on the ASTA version?
Yep, only on the Asta. And no, the AT doesn't get these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony180 View Post
A sluggish engine is not at all acceptable in such a high quality car.

The best selling i20, the 1.2L petrol, is the least impressive. I knew the diesel is good, but the AT also left a positive impression on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
We got 10 KPL with 100% in-city and very sedate driving as it's used by my mom only.
We aren't letting you off without a detailed ownership review! It'll greatly help thousands of other members & guests.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
We aren't letting you off without a detailed ownership review! It'll greatly help thousands of other members & guests.
Sure. Matter of fact, there are couple of ownership reviews are due from my side, one for Merc C220 CDI that we bought last year and now i20AT, both of these are in minority on team-BHP. But currently I am in USA for another couple of months, so I will have reviews only after I come back. Meanwhile, I will have new review under international section for meaty CTS-V in a coming week or two.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. I own a 2011 CRDi and completely satisfied with the product. I am virtually living in my car since my daily drive is around 80 km and enjoying each and every moment driving it. If I'm upgrading my hatch, it will be an i20 again.

The 5th alloy went missing in the pre facelift versions itself after they introduced Bluetooth connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
1. Kitna deti hai (mileage for the manual variants that you observed during review). Hope I have not missed reading that out.
I have been getting around 22 kmpl in rural areas and around 18 kmpl inside city. The presence of the 6th gear boosts the FE figures on highways.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 24th May 2012 at 20:57.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 21:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Review GTO, as usual

i20 always reeked of Premium Quality & that's what attracted people even with a small 1.2 L engine. The new i20 brings freshness to the already premium car. If not for the tax laws we could have got the 1.4 as base engine & may be better tires(to go with the 1.4s power)

Nevertheless, hopefully this upgrade would make sure that the i20 keeps clocking good numbers regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Why Punto is excluded from the comparison of features? it falls in the same price range as these cars.
Please check again Punto is added to the comparison
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 22:03   #60
BHPian

Terrific review GTO. Surprising that none of its immediate competitors have an AT option. A diesel AT would have made a killing in the present scenario. I hope companies wake up to this soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks