Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 20:06   #121
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

GTO, thanks for the comprehensive review.

The car is loaded with features that will make some expensive sedans look pretty bare. If only the Jazz was better equipped. I wish Honda started offering more goodies in their cars.

I'm yet to drive the 1.2 Kappa2 i20, but my TD of the first gen i20 began and ended with the engine - it was far from exciting. I agree with you - Hyundai must offer a 1.4P with the Asta trims at least. This car deserves a more powerful engine.

The other thing I hated during the TD of the first gen was the steering. It felt vague at times and even scared the life out of me on one occasion when I decided to suddenly steer right.

Last edited by CBlazer : 5th June 2012 at 20:08.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:19   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran

Well..Here it goes. Attaching the "cheesy" gear lever for you. And a couple of shots more from the Magna version where there is a difference from the higher model
Thanks a lot for putting up the pic of the gear lever. Looks better than the chrome one IMHO.
Old 6th June 2012, 01:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
GTO, thanks for the comprehensive review.

The car is loaded with features that will make some expensive sedans look pretty bare. If only the Jazz was better equipped. I wish Honda started offering more goodies in their cars.

I'm yet to drive the 1.2 Kappa2 i20, but my TD of the first gen i20 began and ended with the engine - it was far from exciting. I agree with you - Hyundai must offer a 1.4P with the Asta trims at least. This car deserves a more powerful engine.

The other thing I hated during the TD of the first gen was the steering. It felt vague at times and even scared the life out of me on one occasion when I decided to suddenly steer right.
The first gen i20 1.2 petrol was fairly quick as long as the car was lightly loaded.

Overdrive cloaked it at 13.2 0-100 faster than the K series swift (before swift got VTVT)

After driving it for 2 years what it lacks is torque the car struggles on inclines when loaded.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:11   #124
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2012 at 20:00.
naveen.kk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th June 2012, 13:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With the very serious rumours of the Brio AT being imminent (August / September / October), and the very poor standard of Hyundai A$$ in terms of cheating, I think I will wait for the former. Just got an sms from Hyundai A$$, you must book 8-10 days in advance for any service! Keep it up, you will only have yourselves to blame for your demise.

Also, given the two sets of engines I think the Brio AT may be more economical than the i10/20 MT!
And not only that, if you want pick up/drop off facility they charge you and then waiting period is 3-4 weeks .
Old 7th June 2012, 06:48   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
And not only that, if you want pick up/drop off facility they charge you and then waiting period is 3-4 weeks .
If you are referring to service booking, there is no such long waiting periods. I just booked a service 3 days later date in bangalore. I chose this date and i could even do for next day if needed.
And the pick up and drop is free if its within 5 km radius from service centre.
Can't comment on cheating part though. But my limited experience has nothing to complain.

May be the 3 weeks, etc. are city specific problems.
Old 9th June 2012, 00:08   #127
BHPian

How does the 1.2P compare against the Jazz?

How does the performance of the i20 1.2P compare against the Jazz? Is the i20's low-end torque as bad as the Jazz? Which one would be better to drive within the city?

The FE figures GTO quoted (10.8 in the city) are horrendous! How is it that a similarly powered Jazz can easily manage 13-14?

PS - On m TD, I felt that the performance of the Jazz in city traffic was no better than my trusty F10D Estilo
Old 9th June 2012, 14:21   #128
BHPian

I think the performance of i20 petrol has regressed following the VTVT upgrade. Overdrive June issue says the new car does 0-100 in 15.3 compared to the old 1.2s 13.36.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:10   #129
BHPian

I got an infraction for saying A/C of my I20 does not feel great, using some shortcuts which were not acceptable.

Let me try to put my words proof read (may not by some Linguistic Expert).

I have been driving Hyundai I20 Next Gen CRDI Sports since a month for about 1700 KMS.

When compared to my drive in other B/B+ segment cars, I20 does not feel any great.

Particularly I happened to take rear seat while my cousin was driving, I could not believe what I experienced.

I have least concerns about it as summer is gone, and mostly our I20 drives with empty rear seats.
Old 13th June 2012, 19:24   #130
BHPian

When the battery of your smartkey runs dry, simply pull out the skeleton key to open the car:

Folks, I dont know if this is dumb but if the battery dies on the smart key - will the start/stop option still work?
Old 13th June 2012, 23:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso
When the battery of your smartkey runs dry, simply pull out the skeleton key to open the car:

Folks, I dont know if this is dumb but if the battery dies on the smart key - will the start/stop option still work?
Nope. If battery of smarty key runs out then Start/Stop option will not work but still you can turn the car on by inserting the skeleton key into the slot as you would do for any other car out there.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Nope. If battery of smarty key runs out then Start/Stop option will not work but still you can turn the car on by inserting the skeleton key into the slot as you would do for any other car out there.
True. But, then, if you had locked the key using smart button, and you insert the key to open it, the alarm starts. Hyundai has kept the horn as the alarm. It keeps on "beep"ing intermittently.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:42   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Nitrous - I took the test drive of the Asta yesterday and don't remember seeing the slot where we insert the normal key. I am not sure if it is placed elsewhere.
Old 14th June 2012, 19:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran

True. But, then, if you had locked the key using smart button, and you insert the key to open it, the alarm starts. Hyundai has kept the horn as the alarm. It keeps on "beep"ing intermittently.
I am not sure if this is specific to Hyundai. But i have not encountered this issue in the other cars that I have driven like Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Merc, Beemer etc. Moreover, I have always found that remote unlock installed aftermarket are the ones that start blowing horn if the car was locked with remote and then unlocked with key manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso

Nitrous - I took the test drive of the Asta yesterday and don't remember seeing the slot where we insert the normal key. I am not sure if it is placed elsewhere.
It is highly unlikely that it does not have slot to turn the engine on. However, I haven't seen the Asta variant so I can't comment on it. But, the other cars (equipped with start/stop button) that I have driven have slot to turn the car on with key.

May be GTO can throw some light on this.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:28   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if this is specific to Hyundai. But i have not encountered this issue in the other cars that I have driven like Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Merc, Beemer etc. Moreover, I have always found that remote unlock installed aftermarket are the ones that start blowing horn if the car was locked with remote and then unlocked with key manually.

It is highly unlikely that it does not have slot to turn the engine on. However, I haven't seen the Asta variant so I can't comment on it. But, the other cars (equipped with start/stop button) that I have driven have slot to turn the car on with key.

May be GTO can throw some light on this.
Nitrous - I did check with the SA at Advaith motors and he claims that the battery of the smart key is like a Duracell bunny (never runs out). he said both the original key and the duplicate are smart keys - so you can only use the skeleton key to enter the car and use the other one to start whenever the bunny runs out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks