Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:22   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
h@r$h@l - How do you unlock the boot from the inside - Is there a boot release button inside the car or if it is with your smart key - how do you do it?
Mine is the ASTA Variant. So with the not so "smart" key in the pocket the boot can be opened just like that. Also last time i had to manually unlock the central lock for the guard to open the boot. Now i am not sure weather it was the central lock that wasnt allowing the guard to open the boot or he wasn't able to open it as there is no "button" as such in the i20. You just have to slide your hand below the Hyundai logo and tap it and boot pops open.

Regards,
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:09   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Mine is the ASTA Variant. So with the not so "smart" key in the pocket the boot can be opened just like that. Also last time i had to manually unlock the central lock for the guard to open the boot. Now i am not sure weather it was the central lock that wasnt allowing the guard to open the boot or he wasn't able to open it as there is no "button" as such in the i20. You just have to slide your hand below the Hyundai logo and tap it and boot pops open.

Regards,
h@r$h@l - My friend also has the i20 Asta and the problem like i said earlier is that, he needs to get down from his car and open the boot for the guys who are unaware of clicking the button beneath the logo (mall, office and elsewhere) so my question was are you able to open it from inside the car - or do you also get down and walk all the way behind and unlock it
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:03   #213
BHPian

In the old car when the doors were unlocked so was the boot and the key had a separate boot open button. The new one may be different.
Old 11th August 2012, 01:47   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I found the wing mirrors to be a size too small and did have to crane my neck from time to time. They get a heating coil for the snowy & rainy weather conditions
Could someone explain how to turn on/off this heating functionality of the wing mirrors? I do not see any specific buttons for them. If they are tied to the defogger or the rain sensing wipers, then that will not be an ideal choice for all situations.
Old 16th August 2012, 10:31   #215
BHPian

Hi all,
Finally got my i20 Asta diesel White.
First thing i did was to upgrade the following:

1. Tyres: put Michelin XM2 - 185/70/R14 in place of the st9ck Apollo 185/65/R14.
Excellent tyres, very nice grip and comfort.

2. K&N stock replacement filter - cures the low rpm lag by 50%!

3. Headlamp bulbs - Phillips Xtreme Vision 55wt.
They have very nice brightness and throw length. Tested this in my Getz too with one bulb of this and another a 100/90 bulb. This one beats it all.

4. Horn - got the Klaxon horns. These are oem horns for all VW group and BMW vehicles.

As such, the car is great. Only thing that i feel could be rectified us the caller name display on the screen. It shows as "Last name, first name" and i would like it the other way round. Settings are correct on my phone but in car cant change.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi all,

1. Tyres: put Michelin XM2 - 185/70/R14 in place of the st9ck Apollo 185/65/R14.

They have very nice brightness and throw length. Tested this in my Getz too with one bulb of this and another a 100/90 bulb. This one beats it all.

4. Horn - got the Klaxon horns. These are oem horns for all VW group and BMW vehicles.

As such, the car is great. Only thing that i feel could be rectified us the caller name display on the screen. It shows as "Last name, first name" and i would like it the other way round. Settings are correct on my phone but in car cant change.
Congrats, but wouldn't this changes void your warranty?

-Ravi
Old 16th August 2012, 12:12   #217
BHPian

Congrats! Can you please specify the on road price and dealer experience?
Looks like Sportz variant is everyone's favourite. Any specific reason for going with Asta?

Quote:
Hi all,

Old 16th August 2012, 19:27   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wouldn't all of the above modification nullify your warranty? Did you check on it before the upgrade? I believe the tyres are fine, as its only the width altered, not the actual size.. but a hrn and headlight are like tinkering with the electricals of the car....
Old 16th August 2012, 20:47   #219
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Drove the new i20 two days back at night. I felt that the right hand side headlight throw is clipped to prevent blinding the oncoming traffic. Not sure though?

Did a search on this thread, but could not find anything.

Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Also found the ACC to be highly ineffective.

Last edited by SDP : 16th August 2012 at 21:00.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:34   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Drove the new i20 two days back at night. I felt that the right hand side headlight throw is clipped to prevent blinding the oncoming traffic. Not sure though?

Did a search on this thread, but could not find anything.

Can anyone confirm?
Yes, the right side beam throw is always lower than left. There are two ways to look at it.

1) To avoid blinding the oncoming traffic. This is also a very logical reason.

2) The left side beam throw is higher than right so that the driver can see pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes, parked cars, etc. well in advance and can take relevant actions. This is certainly more logical. In left hand drive countries, the right beam would have higher throw than left.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 09:30   #221
BHPian

Silver quadrajet Vista retired after four years of dutiful and event free service.

Incomes bronze Asta CRDi. Vento TDi eagerly waiting for new partner in Garage.

Hoping to get delivery in ed day
Old 19th August 2012, 22:15   #222
BHPian

@RaviB, & dass,

The changes i did with horn and light will not effect warranty.

With regards to the light, its the same wattage and not a single wire modified from its original form, just plug and play.

Same goes for horn. I didn't get any wire modified or anything. Just remove old horn and plug new ones in.

With regards to tyres, it shouldn't hamper the warranty, but in case if a situation arises, i can arrange stock size tyres in a minute.

Regarding the K&N air filter, it goes undetected if you don't put the sticker "Stop! This is a lifetime filter, don't throw it away" over the air filter box. I kept my stock air filter with me, so when car goes to service, till its in warranty, i would replace the k&n with stock and then take car for service. Its a 2minute job.

Above all, warranty can be still claimed with the above alterations, if the dealer is friendly enough and will understand that these changes won't do any bad to your car. If he wants to be a jerk, he can play bad. And if he plays bad, just take the car to another dealer.

I know 2 of the top hyundai dealers here personally, so for me, no problem if such situation arises ever that a mod i did, has caused a warranty void problem.

All the mods i did are very basic, but good to boost up the feel a descent bit.

I am very very happy with all these mods, the.lights are very nice, love the horn, and the tyres are great. With the pathetic roads in hyd now, it gives me very comfy ride.
The K&N is great too, definitely cuts the turbo lag to half!

@Mallikarjun:
I took from Talwar Hyundai, great service! Second hyundai for me, and both from them.

@Mallikarjun,
It costed around 8.75 onroad.

I chose the Asta as i wanted something with all the whistles and bells. Also, for 50k difference between the Sportz and Asta, i would definitely recommend to go for the Asta, if one can afford it.
I mean, someone who is already stretching their budget and goi g for Sportz, then its a great buy. But if that extra 50k doesn't pinch you, then definitely go for Asta.
Again mainly 2 reasons:

1.The extra features you get are well worth more than they are asking for it.

2. This is if the 50k doesn't pinch you much, then, most ppl keep the car for 4-5 years, and when its with you for so long, always good to go for the Asta as later on you wont start feeling that you car is left out of features compared to other latest cars around 2-3 years down.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 20th August 2012 at 13:15. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:51   #223
BHPian

shiny bronze asta joins silver vento tdi on eid day.

I am so excited to have choice of two awesome diesel cars every morning.

drive to office will be fun
Old 26th August 2012, 14:37   #224
BHPian

Someone please post a ownership review... Really anxious to read it... I want to book a CRDI next week, but want to read it first... please, and thanks.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:34   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Someone please post a ownership review... Really anxious to read it... I want to book a CRDI next week, but want to read it first... please, and thanks.
I will shortly post one for Asta CRDI. You can ask me any questions in the meantime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks