Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 08:49   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwarmth View Post
Is there a way to easily disable the gear shift indicator or turn off/reduce the brightness of the MID? I know some people like the gear shift , but to me it's a bit of gimmick. I had this on a car I owned in the late '80's in the US (a Saab 900s) and was able to remove a fuse that disabled it. It was very annoying and distracting while driving at night.
I dont know if there is a way to disable the gear shift indicator, but in Verna I suppose if you turn off the Eco drive mode, the MID doesnt display the gear shift. Regarding the brightness control, isnt the new i20 equipped with the brightness control knob? Or is it only for the MID buttons? I remember seeing a thread where an extra OEM fitting was done to control the brightness.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 09:39   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I dont know if there is a way to disable the gear shift indicator, but in Verna I suppose if you turn off the Eco drive mode, the MID doesnt display the gear shift. Regarding the brightness control, isnt the new i20 equipped with the brightness control knob? Or is it only for the MID buttons? I remember seeing a thread where an extra OEM fitting was done to control the brightness.
Thanks! I'll research the extra OEM fitting.

(Moderators - sorry for the crosspost. Thought I had removed/moved it to this thread).
Old 15th December 2012, 09:46   #363

I got a new 1.2 Petrol Asta with DRL a week back and am just figuring the car out. Had one question about the start stop button. While starting, pressing the button without the clutch depressed turns on the radio & pressing again turns on the a/c. However, when shutting down, pressing once turns everything off, irrespective of the clutch. It should be simple, but, I havent figured a way to switch off the engine without turning off the radio. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Old 17th December 2012, 14:13   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeron15 View Post
I got a new 1.2 Petrol Asta with DRL a week back and am just figuring the car out. Had one question about the start stop button. While starting, pressing the button without the clutch depressed turns on the radio & pressing again turns on the a/c. However, when shutting down, pressing once turns everything off, irrespective of the clutch. It should be simple, but, I havent figured a way to switch off the engine without turning off the radio. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Well if I understand this right. This is the way it works and yes I know it is absurd. I scanned the whole manual to understand if there was a otherway around but there ain't.

As for DRLs I checked with the show room accessories team they say just the DRLs can't be installed it had to be a whole bumper assembly change along with a wiring kit... can someone shed more light on how people got a estimate of 15k for DRL assembly and how does the showroom guy planned to install it.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:19   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh.singh View Post
As for DRLs I checked with the show room accessories team they say just the DRLs can't be installed it had to be a whole bumper assembly change along with a wiring kit... can someone shed more light on how people got a estimate of 15k for DRL assembly and how does the showroom guy planned to install it.
I think the 15k is not for the DRL assembly. Its the difference in price between the diesel asta with & without the DRL. The price difference for the petrol asta with & without the DRL is 10k. When I booked the dealer told me that the non DRL version is no longer available which I now suspect was bogus.
Old 24th December 2012, 08:00   #366
Senior - BHPian

Just got a i20 Magna O Petrol yesterday for my mother / sister. I drove it from Gurgaon back to Agra on the new expressway. I have been driving a Verna Diesel so far. Yet the car was actually not boring to drive like I had feared so.

It cruised perfectly in 100 - 120 speeds and the suspension / steering was flawless. I had TD the same i20 a few months back and looks like Hyundai has made a few changes to the problematic areas and the result now is the new i20 which comes with loads of features car twice its size will not have. It makes the Polo feel absolutely under equipped which it is.

I will put a full report and pictures later this week.

My only advise to potential buyers here for a entry level premium hatch in pterol is look no further than i20.

I got a discount of almost 50k. OTR in Gurgaon was 5.28 I think.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 23:43   #367

Dear all

After reading for almost and being impressed by fellow members knowledge for almost 3-4 years. This is my first post

Hopefully will be able to contribute to forum like you all...

Coming to the point

I am in process of buying new I20 sports diesel..The first mistake I made was to commit to a car which is without DRL's and Now I regret ...Dealer is not able to give me DRL car as he does;t have it...also he has confirmed a price rise from 2 nd January.

If I go to other dealer, I do not think he will be able to process my loan so fast.
lemme know your suggestions on this.... Thanks

Now the main point....

Does anyone feel that the rear seat of I 20 is too upright or stiff for comfort. The leg room is fine but the seat I do not find it comfortable...is there a way it could be improved.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th December 2012 at 07:15.
Old 27th December 2012, 00:25   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
there used to be automatic transmission for the Verna diesel .. right ! So how difficult could it be to put the same transmission into the i20 diesel, which would make lesser torque than the Verna for sure.
Automatic transmission is available in Verna diesel only for the 1.6L engine not 1.4L which is available in i20
So,it won't be as simple as just putting the auto box
Also,the price would be about 8.5 lacs ex-showroom which might find very few takers for a car which is considered pricey.
Old 27th December 2012, 01:44   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial_shishir View Post
Dear all

After reading for almost and being impressed by fellow members knowledge for almost 3-4 years. This is my first post

Hopefully will be able to contribute to forum like you all...

Coming to the point

I am in process of buying new I20 sports diesel..The first mistake I made was to commit to a car which is without DRL's and Now I regret ...Dealer is not able to give me DRL car as he does;t have it...also he has confirmed a price rise from 2 nd January.

If I go to other dealer, I do not think he will be able to process my loan so fast.
lemme know your suggestions on this.... Thanks

Now the main point....

Does anyone feel that the rear seat of I 20 is too upright or stiff for comfort. The leg room is fine but the seat I do not find it comfortable...is there a way it could be improved.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Hey Guys

My first issue is resolved, Now I am getting the DRL vehicle. Just pushed the dealer a little and told him that I will am getting it from another one and magically he appeared with a vehicle. According to him he persuaded another old couple to take a car without DRL.

Any which Way.I am getting a DRL I 20

Now,can some one help me with my rear seat issue....its like a bench..even I 10 is better then it.

can some one put some light on it and lemme know if there is any possible jugad/solution to it

thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2012 at 07:23. Reason: Last warning.
Old 27th December 2012, 09:30   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Automatic transmission is available in Verna diesel only for the 1.6L engine not 1.4L which is available in i20
So,it won't be as simple as just putting the auto box
Also,the price would be about 8.5 lacs ex-showroom which might find very few takers for a car which is considered pricey.
So 1.6 has more torque than 1.4 right ? So the biggest issue with auto-gearbox is if it can manage the higher torque of diesel engine, and they already have an auto-tran in a car that is of almost same layout as i20 that manages higher torque.
Old 1st January 2013, 20:15   #371
BHPian

I am close to finalizing an i20 CRDI Asta purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test drive it in real highway conditions. I was only able to drive it on some traffic-free patches on the peripheral city roads. I need some advise on the highway capabilities of the i20.

I intend to do weekly trips between Bangalore and Mysore (150km, 4 lane highway) once I purchase it. The highway is well maintained but has numerous speed bumps (40+) and heavy traffic. These generally mean constantly changing lanes, speeding up and slowing down. Occassionaly, you may have to take evasive measures to avoid cattle, villagers and the like.

Now, I generally do not drive faster than 100-110 kmph on this highway. Is the i20's steering and ride a matter of concern even at such speeds? Would the i20's light steering be unsuitable for such usage? While I'm not expecting Swift-like handling, I do want a car which is safe to drive on such highway. If the light steering is a safety hazard in such conditions , I will need to look elsewhere for a car. My driving skills are only average, and I drive conservatively knowing my limitations in this regard.

Any advise on this will be much appreciated.

Last edited by qaqa : 1st January 2013 at 20:38.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:38   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I am close to finalizing an i20 CRDI Asta purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test drive it in real highway conditions. I was only able to drive it on some traffic-free patches on the peripheral city roads. I need some advise on the highway capabilities of the i20.

I intend to do weekly trips between Bangalore and Mysore (150km, 4 lane highway) once I purchase it. The highway is well maintained but has numerous speed bumps (40+) and heavy traffic. These generally mean constantly changing lanes, speeding up and slowing down. Occassionaly, you may have to take evasive measures to avoid cattle, villagers and the like.

Now, I generally do not drive faster than 100-110 kmph on this highway. Is the i20's steering and ride a matter of concern even at such speeds? Would the i20's light steering be unsuitable for such usage? While I'm not expecting Swift-like handling, I do want a car which is safe to drive on such highway. If the light steering is a safety hazard in such conditions , I will need to look elsewhere for a car. My driving skills are only average, and I drive conservatively knowing my limitations in this regard.
The i20's steering is butter smooth with EPS and during highway trips it becomes so light and its bit scary at 120 + speeds. The steering offers no feedback to the driver and it is very good for city drive.

i20's suspension is very soft and some times during uneven roads in highway, the car floats or glides and again bit scary at 120+ speeds. But i20 Asta is bit safe with 6 airbags and all wheel disc brakes.

The handling department is not as good as Punto/Figo, but good if you take a curve at 100 speeds.

Overall its not a great car to drive in highways, but considering that you donot expect swift's handling and you donot drive more than 100-110, you can not ignore this good city car
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 23:12   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post

Any advise on this will be much appreciated.
I would like to clear one thing. I would speak from my experience. I own this vehicle, that is, i20 ASTA(petrol) for the past 20 months. The steering is not as bad as it is portrayed here. I dont think by taking a 10-20 Kms test drive one should make comments on the steering. You need to own it for a while. Initially, I too found it very light but then I got used to it very quickly. And I am sure you will get used to it as well. I have done speeds much higher than 120 in highways. Trust me it is NOT SCARY. Atleast not for me. Do you really expect to take curves and turns at those speeds in Indian Highways? The steering does weigh up pretty decently at those speeds. Please Please i20's steering is not as scary as it is portrayed here. It is very decent. It may not be the best.

There are other things that you should worry about while purchasing this particular car.
1) Maintenance costs: It is a very serious issue. Please do check threads of our fellow members who own a diesel version.
2) This car has rattling problems. No, I am not talking about the steering rattling issue. But the car as a whole. Sometimes the door may rattle, sometimes the passenger door. It is quite irritating.

Last edited by Pancham : 1st January 2013 at 23:17.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 00:20   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
[b] I dont think by taking a 10-20 Kms test drive one should make comments on the steering. You need to own it for a while. Initially, I too found it very light but then I got used to it very quickly. And I am sure you will get used to it as well. I have done speeds much higher than 120 in highways. Trust me it is NOT SCARY. Atleast not for me. Do you really expect to take curves and turns at those speeds in Indian Highways? The steering does weigh up pretty decently at those speeds. Please Please i20's steering is not as scary as it is portrayed here. It is very decent. It may not be the best.
Now that you mention it, I notice that most reviewers who complained about the steering were people who hadn't driven the car much. Even GTO seemed to have a positive things to say after driving the car for 4 days. Guess it just needs a little getting used to. And yes, I fully agree with you that 120+ speeds on regular Indian highways is not a realistic use-case. In fact, even with a BMW Mini I would be afraid of breaching these speeds.

Quote:
There are other things that you should worry about while purchasing this particular car.
1) Maintenance costs: It is a very serious issue. Please do check threads of our fellow members who own a diesel version.
2) This car has rattling problems. No, I am not talking about the steering rattling issue. But the car as a whole. Sometimes the door may rattle, sometimes the passenger door. It is quite irritating.
To be honest, I didn't think about the maintenance aspect much. I will definitely look this up. With the 1.4's diesel heart being imported, I guess anything engine-related will be quite expensive.

As for the rattling, I'm actually surprised - I was under the impression that the i20 was pretty much the best put-together of the hatchbacks. Guess there are lemons amongst i20s as well.

To be frank, I'm really torn between a Swift Zxi (yes, petrol) and the i20 1.4. Family prefers the Asta, but Swift pulls at heartstrings. With the massive price differential, I can buy the Swift *and* bribe the family with a good vacation
Old 2nd January 2013, 00:48   #375
BHPian

I have been driving I20 D Sports for more than a year. Clocked 35000 kms. I have taken it to highways many times and I will agree on things said by Pancham that it is not as bad it has been portrayed here. Steering is no doubt in league of Punto but then tire upgrade to 15" makes it much much better. Even better rubber on 14" can do job pretty well.

I20's soft suspension can be scary some times when your are traveling at speeds of 120+ and suddenly bumps come. It does get scary sometimes but not as scary as people have been saying. It can be handled by any good driver.

As far rattling goes, it is well built but again soft suspension spoils it . If roads conditions are very bad and you keep on driving fast on it , it will rattle. Happened with my car on gurgaon roads in 2 months. Whereas when car was being driven on Chandigarh roads it never had single rattling issues. Though all rattling issues were solved by the service team.

Service costs , expect it to be minimum 4.5k when it gets paid for Diesel. Hyundai have been constantly increasing its servicing and spare parts costs. Some of the parts are very expensive , specially for diesel engines. They even milk their clients by forcing for engine flushing , adding additives etc which are optional so make sure you ask them not to do all those things.

I faced issues of brake pads on Diesel models. They gave up on 18k . Service manager says it has been issue with I20 D models. Though they are priced well.
ankit_chd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks