Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:31   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
I have been driving I20 D Sports for more than a year. Clocked 35000 kms. I have taken it to highways many times and I will agree on things said by Pancham that it is not as bad it has been portrayed here. Steering is no doubt in league of Punto but then tire upgrade to 15" makes it much much better. Even better rubber on 14" can do job pretty well.

I20's soft suspension can be scary some times when your are traveling at speeds of 120+ and suddenly bumps come. It does get scary sometimes but not as scary as people have been saying. It can be handled by any good driver.

As far rattling goes, it is well built but again soft suspension spoils it . If roads conditions are very bad and you keep on driving fast on it , it will rattle. Happened with my car on gurgaon roads in 2 months. Whereas when car was being driven on Chandigarh roads it never had single rattling issues. Though all rattling issues were solved by the service team.

Service costs , expect it to be minimum 4.5k when it gets paid for Diesel. Hyundai have been constantly increasing its servicing and spare parts costs. Some of the parts are very expensive , specially for diesel engines. They even milk their clients by forcing for engine flushing , adding additives etc which are optional so make sure you ask them not to do all those things.

I faced issues of brake pads on Diesel models. They gave up on 18k . Service manager says it has been issue with I20 D models. Though they are priced well.
I agree with Pancham and ankit. I own i20 Petrol Asta (me & Pancham got the car at almost same time). The light steering is heavily exaggerated as big problem. It is actually not. Infact, if we get used to it, the car is fully under your control.

The car is rock solid and stable at high speeds and i am really happy with that. Ofcourse, like any other car, you have to be careful at such high speeds.

Suspension, yea - its not upto the mark compared to swift. Even in city roads speed breakers, you will feel the thud sound at reasonable speeds.

Swift is a very nice car, but it too has its own minus points (like less boot space etc which is really problematic for long journeys). As GTO mentioned, i20 Diesel is the best all rounder in the market. Go for it, if you are okay with the maintenance costs.

-Ravi

Last edited by bblost : 8th January 2013 at 22:13. Reason: Removed references to high speeds. Thanks.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:19   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Suspension, yea - its not upto the mark compared to swift. Even in city roads speed breakers, you will feel the thud sound at reasonable speeds.

Swift is a very nice car, but it too has its own minus points (like less boot space etc which is really problematic for long journeys). As GTO mentioned, i20 Diesel is the best all rounder in the market. Go for it, if you are okay with the maintenance costs.

-Ravi
Although I do not hear any thud sound but the suspension does irritate at times especially on bumpy roads. Its very good on broken roads but on bumpy roads the car tends to be a bit uneasy. This is for the petrol model. I heard it is a bit better with diesel.

Ask me I would have again gone for an i20 but diesel this time.
It is a good all round car.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd January 2013 at 11:22.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:48   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I am close to finalizing an i20 CRDI Asta purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test drive it in real highway conditions. I was only able to drive it on some traffic-free patches on the peripheral city roads. I need some advise on the highway capabilities of the i20.

I intend to do weekly trips between Bangalore and Mysore (150km, 4 lane highway) once I purchase it. The highway is well maintained but has numerous speed bumps (40+) and heavy traffic. These generally mean constantly changing lanes, speeding up and slowing down. Occassionaly, you may have to take evasive measures to avoid cattle, villagers and the like.

Now, I generally do not drive faster than 100-110 kmph on this highway. Is the i20's steering and ride a matter of concern even at such speeds? Would the i20's light steering be unsuitable for such usage? While I'm not expecting Swift-like handling, I do want a car which is safe to drive on such highway. If the light steering is a safety hazard in such conditions , I will need to look elsewhere for a car. My driving skills are only average, and I drive conservatively knowing my limitations in this regard.

Any advise on this will be much appreciated.
Having lived with a diesel i20 for close to 3.5 years, I would say the steering and suspension play spoilsport on roads that are uneven with lots of bumps. It gets worse when it is fully loaded. You need to get used to the light and non-communicative steering (you would know better if you own another car with good steering feedback). With the max speeds you intend to do, I think it will not pose you any problems. Also, I20 has one of the best brakes in its segment.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:44   #379
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy an I20 Magna diesel sometime early next month. Would any of you know of any good offers/contacts that would help get a good deal in Bangalore? I would have loved the sports, but its way over budget for the moment.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:55   #380
Senior - BHPian

A friend an i20 Sportz owner,sent this picture to me.
What does the symbol between temperature and trip distance mean?
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i20.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2013, 19:22   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is this the new gen i20? I have never seen such a symbol in my 20 months of ownership.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:30   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Is this the new gen i20? I have never seen such a symbol in my 20 months of ownership.
Yes,this is the new Gen,one more,thing this came up when ambient temperature was 5 degrees.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:38   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes,this is the new Gen,one more,thing this came up when ambient temperature was 5 degrees.
I am sure the manual will have details of this symbol. Ask him to take a look.
Old 7th January 2013, 00:30   #384

Quote:
The symbol is for frosty/icy road.
abhi7887 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 16:26   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7887 View Post

The symbol is for frosty/icy road.
Really? This is something interesting. Is it there in the old model as well?
Old 7th January 2013, 16:39   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

Really? This is something interesting. Is it there in the old model as well?
I do not know.

I do know that the symbol is for icy road conditions as my swift hsd the same in Ireland. Used to pop up whenever outside temperatures used to be 5 degrees or less.
abhi7887 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 22:03   #387
BHPian

I have had the same observation the last 2-3 days. Temperatures in Gurgaon are very low and whenever the ambient drops below 5 deg, the symbol appears. Possibly a warning to drivers to be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Boss Kolkata temps will not show you the symbol ever. Drive to Gangtok this weekend....

Last edited by bblost : 8th January 2013 at 22:11. Reason: back 2 back
Old 8th January 2013, 22:08   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post

Boss Kolkata temps will not show you the symbol ever. Drive to Gangtok this weekend....
Haha. You are correct. Very interesting this thing. Regarding the Gangtok drive, sigh, I wish.
Old 8th January 2013, 23:14   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all, I have a small query.

Does the new i20 have factory-fitted DRLs. I have seen them on quite a few cars and they look very well fit and of good quality. But I have seen even more cars without them. Also somebody posted on one the threads about the DRLs being factory fitted. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 8th January 2013, 23:19   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi all, I have a small query.

Does the new i20 have factory-fitted DRLs. I have seen them on quite a few cars and they look very well fit and of good quality. But I have seen even more cars without them. Also somebody posted on one the threads about the DRLs being factory fitted. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes the latest production has the DRLs. Do remember that there has been a price increase for this.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks