Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:23   #106
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:
• If you end up with the cheesy chrome gear lever, offer a free swap to any Era / Magna variant owner. Knowing the masses fascination with all things chrome, they should be only too happy with the exchange.
Hi GTO,

Is it possible for you to attach a pic of the 6 speed gear lever on the lower CRDi variants (Era/Magna) to see how cheesy it looks on the top end.

P.S: Yipee!!! Its my 100th post!!

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:34   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Don't mean to sound persistent but there was definitely something wrong. If you were talking of the petrol, that's still believable. However, of the three variants, we spent the maximum time with the diesel i20 (4 days) and the air-conditioner worked absolutely top class in all weather conditions.
Went back and checked it again this time on a friends car he recently purchased (I called him after like a month just to see the car lol), it has no problems cooling in warm weather, but I stand by what I said that when parked in the sun for a while it takes quite some time to cool the cabin. Especially when compared to its competition.

Did your test include driving the car after parking it in the sun for long ?
Old 3rd June 2012, 04:11   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Day 3!!!!! This is bad news for me, as they installed steering related parts from the new gen i20 in my 2009 i20 to "fix" the steering rattle issue and only "said" that the rattle will not return, no guarantees.
I am looking forward to change my steering column in my next servicing which is due later this month, but looks like I will return disappointed as always. It would be the third time they fix the steering problem but it always comes back after 2-3 months. But 3rd day for you, I am shocked. Is this such a big problem that Hyundai can't fix for any one?

Last edited by SrikantDora : 3rd June 2012 at 04:12. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 4th June 2012, 18:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your responses GTO, I still do feel that there is a chance of buyers remorse happening on this car. Even though it seems like a fantastic package, I don't want to get into changing suspension etc. on a brand new car, even if it fixes a lot of the problems.

Also I am not sure if a lot of people share my stance on the matter, but I simply cannot understand the manufacturers decision on having the sunroof as a variant and not an option! I strongly feel that it should be given as an option on any variant, after-all the buyer is ready to pay for it. And I believe it would not be that difficult to implement since its a completely enclosed unit in the roof panel.
Old 4th June 2012, 18:51   #110
BHPian

Thanks GTO for such a comprehensive review & for attending the queries of the members promptly. I would have liked the new i20 to have the interior of Verna Fluidic. I think feature wise, it matches the Verna. Few questions:

1. As mentioned by you, AC problem has gone particularly in 1.4s. Any details about the improvements made by Hyundai. I find the AC of my Fludic 1.6 CRDI is a chiller, comfortable even at an ambient temperature of 45 degree cel. Has the new 1.4 CRDI i-20 got equally efficient AC now?
2. Has the CRDI refinement has improved over the old i-20? Can you inform if the old CRDI had under bonnet insulations or not? How could Hyundai miss this on such a premium hatch. Can this be fixed after market? If yes will it help & what could be the approx. cost. How is the refinement when compared to Verna Fluidic CRDI.
3. Dash board design seem to the same as old one. Any improvement on quality of materials?
4. How much km on odo will confirm that the steering problem has really been fixed. I had this apprehension while going for my Verna CRDI. I have done more than 13k now. Am I out of the danger zone ?
5. Is the ride equally unsettled like Verna Fludic particularly on undulated roads?

I had driven my friend's old i-20 CRDI with 5 gears with 32k on odo before purchase of my car. He had only two complaints-very poor AC & Steering rattle. If both have been effectively solved, then this is the best diesel hatch in the market today IMO. I did 160 kmph during my short drive with his car. I was moved by the awesome power & refinement of the engine. I feel my Verna is still more powerful even with more weight & more refined to my friend's i-20.

If Hyndai improves the dynamics of the car, then i-20 will be unbeatable.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 19:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
but I simply cannot understand the manufacturers decision on having the sunroof as a variant and not an option! I strongly feel that it should be given as an option on any variant, after-all the buyer is ready to pay for it. And I believe it would not be that difficult to implement since its a completely enclosed unit in the roof panel.
Market data would have shown them that it is the people who look for the top variant, who would be willing to spend another lakh+ on a sunroof. Configuring features while ordering a car is a great idea but I don't think the marketing/manufacturing in India is that mature/evolved. Remember even the colors are produced in batches, and imagine the nightmare of assembling different combinations against specific orders on an assembly line.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 20:20   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review GTO, and very timely as we are in the market for replacing our Getz. Disappointing that the 1.4 Auto does not come with the Asta trim. Any idea why they would do that? Agree fully that a diesel automatic is also sorely missed given fuel prices.

The other question is about build quality. I have certainly not been happy with the build quality of my Getz, which has given innumerable problems with the AC, tuning etc. Do you have a sense if that has improved on the i20? Responses from owners (especially those who have used both the Getz and the i20) would also be welcome.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:12   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
I have been driving my igen i20 CRDi for the last 1 month and it handles the Kerala Summer very well. I have never had any issues with cooling.
Thanks for sharing. Now, when can we expect an ownership thread . It'll help thousands of members & guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Did your test include driving the car after parking it in the sun for long ?
The diesel wasn't parked directly under the sun for long. However, the petrol 1.4 AT was. And the air-con still worked as well as any other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
As mentioned by you, AC problem has gone particularly in 1.4s. Any details about the improvements made by Hyundai.
Hyundai has clearly beefed up the air-con system. What exactly has not been shared (I did ask BTW). It's either:

A more efficient / powerful compressor
The same compressor working harder
Improved ancillaries (condensor, plumbing etc.)

Quote:
Can you inform if the old CRDI had under bonnet insulations or not?
It's extremely refined. Hence, you won't miss the under-bonnet insulation at all.

Other queries answered in my review. Please read it thoroughly. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Disappointing that the 1.4 Auto does not come with the Asta trim. Any idea why they would do that?
P-R-O-F-I-T-S! As mentioned, there is hardly a price difference in the mid-variant of the 2012 i20 AT and the 2011 i20 Asta AT.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:35   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
My i20 had an accident recently and they replaced the entire front suspension including parts of the steering assembly, the Service Manager said they replaced it with components from the new Igen 20 (as per new instructions) and assured me the rattle will be gone never to return.

I took delivery of the car 5 days back and surprise surprise the rattle is back on day 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Day 3!!!!! This is bad news for me, as they installed steering related parts from the new gen i20 in my 2009 i20 to "fix" the steering rattle issue and only "said" that the rattle will not return, no guarantees.
For your information The New gen i20 steering rack cannot be fitted in the old gen i20 as the design is changed. so don't be get fooled.

Also if any part design is changed the part number will be also changed. in the case of old i20's the part number still the same.

Please refer this post for the old and new part number

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2748600

Last edited by wildon : 5th June 2012 at 10:46. Reason: Post ref. added
wildon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:43   #115
BHPian

So guess I was fooled and I was not the only one. Hyundai really needs to sort their A.S.S out.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Market data would have shown them that it is the people who look for the top variant, who would be willing to spend another lakh+ on a sunroof. Configuring features while ordering a car is a great idea but I don't think the marketing/manufacturing in India is that mature/evolved. Remember even the colors are produced in batches, and imagine the nightmare of assembling different combinations against specific orders on an assembly line.
I was just talking sunroof actually, and I highly doubt a sunroof is a 1 lakh rupee device, I was thinking more on the lines of 30-40k. I forsee it as an easy and straightforward installation.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
For your information The New gen i20 steering rack cannot be fitted in the old gen i20 as the design is changed. so don't be get fooled.

Also if any part design is changed the part number will be also changed. in the case of old i20's the part number still the same.

[/url]
wildon
I think it would be better to discuss this on my thread to avoid apparent repeat of the discussion on the issue on this thread. I am quoting you on my thread to reply.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:54   #118
BANNED

With the very serious rumours of the Brio AT being imminent (August / September / October), and the very poor standard of Hyundai A$$ in terms of cheating, I think I will wait for the former. Just got an sms from Hyundai A$$, you must book 8-10 days in advance for any service! Keep it up, you will only have yourselves to blame for your demise.

Also, given the two sets of engines I think the Brio AT may be more economical than the i10/20 MT!
Old 5th June 2012, 15:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Hi GTO,

Is it possible for you to attach a pic of the 6 speed gear lever on the lower CRDi variants (Era/Magna) to see how cheesy it looks on the top end.

P.S: Yipee!!! Its my 100th post!!

Cheers
Well..Here it goes. Attaching the "cheesy" gear lever for you. And a couple of shots more from the Magna version where there is a difference from the higher model
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-gear-knob.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-dials.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-steering.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-fog.jpg  

nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 17:35   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With the very serious rumours of the Brio AT being imminent (August / September / October), and the very poor standard of Hyundai A$$ in terms of cheating, I think I will wait for the former. Just got an sms from Hyundai A$$, you must book 8-10 days in advance for any service! Keep it up, you will only have yourselves to blame for your demise.

Also, given the two sets of engines I think the Brio AT may be more economical than the i10/20 MT!
With petrol prices the way they are heading, I have my doubts about any possibility of an AT Brio. Will Honda take that chance? They need a diesel engine first. The Jazz AT might have been a good all rounder considering the cabin space and engine combo with an AT box.

Brio AT or Jazz AT, either of them should make more sense than the i10 AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks